Y&R: Will LML make a scene at the Emmys?

Chris B

• Members

I think it's a given that she'll be nominated for Best Writing and Drama Series for Y&R. Since the fools let her win last year, I'm sure her chances are good this year. Sure many think OLTL is the frontrunner, but we all know the Emmys don't reward character driven soap these days. They want booms and excitement. I'd say it's a contest between GH and Y&R, the two least deserving soaps.

So...

...if the Y&R hack wins...what will happen? I wonder if her speech will be extremely bitter. Would she show up? Would the new people accept the award? You *know* it would be awkward. I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed that B&B or OLTL pick up these two important awards. LML getting one was bad enough. Two could very well get her hired at GH or AMC because we know Frons is a fool.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

That's a good a question. Same with Hogan Sheffer.

I really want DAYS to win so we can hear another hilarious Hogan acceptence speech and I really want to see all those fired writers go up on stage and accept their award.

• Members

Latham actually has every right to show up, since everything that aired up to the Christmas 2007 episode of Y&R was written and produced by her. Remember when Santa Barbara won its first Emmy, after the Dobsons had been fired and replaced by JFP as Executive Producer? Bridget Dobson showed up and accepted the award, because the episodes that were submitted were from her time as EP of Santa Barbara.

Also, the Emmy's look for whom was credited on the entire show in a calendar year, regardless of whom was credited in the reels submitted for Best Show and Best Writing. So, in that case, Maria Arena Bell would likely be listed in the nominations for writing, along with Josh Griffith (who would be nominated for Best Show regardless anyway).

• Members

Toups, I'd like to see some DAYS love, but I think that's a fantasy so I don't even think of them with the Emmys. Who knows? Maybe Ed Scott and Hogan Sheffer will give the show enough credibility to score some nods. I hope so. That show gets kicked around so much. I didn't even like Hogan at DAYS, but he was better than most writing soaps today.

I understand she has a right to be there, but I wonder how it would be. Would she and her fired writers be seated with the Y&R peeps? It would just be an odd situation. Almost makes me wanna go to the Emmys!

• Members

QUOTE (Chris B @ Mar 12 2008, 06:55 PM)
I understand she has a right to be there, but I wonder how it would be. Would she and her fired writers be seated with the Y&R peeps? It would just be an odd situation. Almost makes me wanna go to the Emmys!

Well, Bridget Dobson was seated with the Santa Barbra people when SB won its first Emmy for Outstanading Drama Series. It was funny to watch her accept that award, you could clearly see how pissed JFP was. :lol:

See it here, also on stage with Bridget and JFP were Steve Kent (who is in charge of overseeing Y&R and DAYS for Sony, but clearly has more pull at Y&R), and Julie Hannan Curruthers (current EP of AMC):

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355">

• Members

QUOTE (Chris B @ Mar 12 2008, 06:55 PM)
Toups, I'd like to see some DAYS love, but I think that's a fantasy so I don't even think of them with the Emmys. Who knows? Maybe Ed Scott and Hogan Sheffer will give the show enough credibility to score some nods. I hope so. That show gets kicked around so much. I didn't even like Hogan at DAYS, but he was better than most writing soaps today.

I don't think it has anything to do with "credibility" though Corday certainly has a horrible reputation in the industry. It all comes down to Emmy politics, DAYS simply doesn't have enough votes to compete with the soaps on CBS and ABC. It's now the lone NBC soap, if it landed a single main nomination, it would be a triumph for the show.

Face it, the CBS and NBC shows will bloc vote by network, and DAYS has no one to help it. Maybe if bloc voting is thrown out the window this year (doubtful) and support is actually thrown behind quality, DAYS might have a chance.

• Administrator

You're right about the writers in the credits for the reels don't matter, but I think writers listed in the nominations have to be in the eligiblit period with a certain amount of episodes or weeks. If Y&R was nominated, I don't believe Griffith or MAB will be nominated because they weren't writers long enough.

• Members

Maybe the cut-off dates are different for the writer's?

I know for actors, they can submit anything from a particular calendar year. For example, one of Gina Tognoni's Emmy reels in 2006 came from the last week of December in 2005 and she ended up wining the Supporting Actress trophy.

• Members

I just checked the Daytime Emmy Rulebook, from the Daytime Emmy web site. For Series writing, members of the team must have written at least 19% of all episodes that aired from Jan 1 to December 31 in a particular year. So yeah, Maria and Josh won't be credited when it comes to writing.

• Members

wow. chris is right. that was one BOLD speach she gave. Loved the look on jills face shen she said "they couldnt lock me out of the emmys!" lmao. greatness.

19% thats an intersting number, lol.

oh god. i am sure LML will get a nom and wont be shocked by a win. i hope she does create a issue.

and we all at this point know i am not a HS fan, but he deserves a nom for john's death.

• Members

If Y&R does somehow manage to win...I hope LML makes such a scene that Lee Phillip Bell gets out of her seat, walks up onto the stage and bitchslaps her across the face and accepts the damn Emmy herself.

I'm pulling for B&B all the damn way. Best show of '07.

Archived