January 14-18, 2008

Toups

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I did not conveniently leave them out because they have all proven to not have huge draws. As much as I love Martha Madison and DO NOT want her to leave (and I truly mean that)....BB and MM have been on screen pretty much a good 3-4 days a week for the ENTIRE year of 2007 and they were also the focus of the show during the all-time lows. Keeping in mind that DH/DDH/PR/KA were averaging MUCH less airtime and or no storyling focus AT ALL.

These 4 have proven in the past that THEIR storylines have affected ratings on a week to week, month to month basis and I do not think it is a coincidence that DAYS has been pulling 2.1/2.2 and 2.3's ever since their airtime has increased.

• Members

Sylph, you know I love your ratings charts.

A lot.

Can I ask you to show one with all the soaps on a common grid? I know that is busy, but the DOOL picture you show that seems to demonstrate a "Sheffer drop" is breathtaking...and I want to see if it still looks so dramatic when on the same scale as all the other soaps.

If it would be easier just to share your spreadsheet, I'd be happy to plot it myself too.

Thanks for considering either of these requests.

Two other things that LOOK like they're happening from your graphs...which is why I want a common scale...First, pretty much stability for the whole CBS lineup (while DOOL was having the Sheffer drop)...with slight trend upward on ATWT since Nuke, and maybe a slight trend downward on GL. Second, the whole ABC lineup seems to move in LOCKSTEP (and not in a happy positive direction). But it is intriguing to wonder whether ABC soaps are so yoked in the ratings because TPTB tied them so closely together over the years (i.e., shifting HWs and EPs from one ABC soap to another; having a number of high profile crossovers over the years...turning the whole daypart into one big homogenized audience). I realize there are subtle differences in the audiences for the shows, but the remarkable trajectory congruence across the ABC soaps really takes my breath away.

• Members

Question: I'm on a labtop today, so seeing this graph is somewhat hard to look at since this screen is so small, but is Passions still on there even though they moved to DirecTV? If so, how are they doing in the ratings since they made the big switch from NBC to DirecTV? At least, I think that's Passions that I see on the bottom but I can't really tell.

• Members

Gotcha! Thanks for clarifying that for me. I'm glad DAYS jumped up a little and quite a pretty good week for all the soaps except for GL. I'm not really surprised that Rebecca Budwig's return to AMC didn't do anything (LIKE HUGE) as far as the ratings went. Remember Joan Collins and Paul Rauch's expectance for a ratings increase for GL in 2002? Nada. Zilch.

• Members

Overkill of any character is not good, but from a long term viewpoint, getting rid of Shawn and Belle seems shortsighted. I don't hear a chant to get rid of them the way there is for John McBain on OLTL. One can reduce focus and airtime without sending them on years-long vacation. Shawn and Belle have usable history, many ties to the canvas, and can play supporting for awhile. Granted, it's time to end the triangle, and the fights over babies.

Archived