October 29 - November 2, 2007

Toups

• Members

It's a vicious cycle. Bad ratings=lower ad rates=Lower budget=worse production values=worse ratings.

I'd like to see what would happen if the soaps took one year and totally invested in the shows and made them look like they used to, especially GL and ATWT. I think it would help, but I don't know, maybe it's just too late.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I can't really say that I am surprised by AMC's numbers. The show is a former shell of itself. This insta-Greenlee redemption storyline, among other things, is killing the show. I think Fron's tendency to try and gain younger viewers has backfired on him. He ended up firing or backburning most of the characters (especially women) over the age of forty. He completly messed with the identities and the histories of each show. Core characters are gone and so is the sense of family. Instead of gaining younger viewers, he has alienated his long term viewers. His vision has completely destroyed ABC daytime tv and yet he gets promoted. :angry:

As for Days, I tuned in for John's death and thought the show was wonderful. But then it went back to showcasing characters that I really don't care for and I lost interest again. I wanted to see more Marlena and the vets dealing with John's death. Very disappointed with the show and I think that is why the ratings went down.

• Members

I agree that Carly's story is dreadful, but Maura West is still the most popular actress on the show. She proved with her long maternity leave when viewers left in droves during that awful Kack story. I do think Holden and Lily have a big reason to do with the ratings increase as well. These crazy writers don't realize just how popular the characters they're sidelining are.

• Members

Yep. I believe the networks for primetime shows add DVR ratings later on. In their press releases, I believe they say this show got so and so rating and they expect the show to go up 10% or whatever when they get the readings from DVR playbacks within seven days of the original showing. I assume they do the same thing for soaps so DVR playbacks are not included this number. Neither are SN viewings.

• Members

Whoa, these ratings are not good. For real. AMC last place in HHs? Thats something different. I expected DAYS' rise to be temporary. While John's death was good, it wasn't great. I mean, after all that time, where is Marlena? It seems she dropped off the face of the earth a week later and then the focus was on those dreaded kids. Everything back to usual. I am pretty sure she is still mourning...I would like to actually see more of it. Bo & Hope are like all over the place now, why not Marlena? I expect DAYS' ratings to stay this way as long as Hogan's jangled vision is on the screen, IMO. It's a shame too, because with the freefall that seems to be going on, it really shouldn't be too hard to at least tie #3 with ATWT. Ah well, I give props to ATWT. They have been holding steady for what...3-4 weeks now?? I like most of their stories right now(even that Sofie baby *ish, but only because now Barbara is in it)

• Members

I think soap watching has become like internet posting. It's all the same small group of people switching from board to board, or the same small group of viewers going from show-to-show. Right now they switched over to CBS soaps. I guess at some point they move back to ABC soaps.

I'm not watching much on ABC right now. I think I'll probably come back in the future, but the ABC shows just are not interesting to me right now. I'm pretty fed up with OLTL in fact.

GH started its sweeps month fun, but now it's just the same story from the hostage sweeps month. Instead of a hostage situation, it's a mad man running around. I don't think Lulu, Carly or Spinnili even got new scripts. :P But ABC or DOOL will do something in the future and everyone will flock back for awhile and ATWT, GL will drop.

• Members

Glad ATWT held steady at #3. It was the Rosanna/Paul wedding that week. Actually, Thursday was the wedding. And AMC's ratings are bad. The show is not very good right now. It is focusing on only a certain amount of characters. Three soaps at the bottom of the ratings and under a 2.0. That is not good. I wonder who will be last in HH? I am assuming it will be AMC.

• Members

AMC is just horrid. But it's expected. They got rid of their talent (most of them), put characters who are better supporting front and center (doesn't work, they can't carry the show), and worst of all, dismantled families. This has been coming for some time, since the "new direction" the show has been pushed in.. it just took awhile for the full affect of the "youth oriented" soap to take.

It ain't pretty. AMC is really gone already. What a shame.

And it was NOT McTavish who did it. The problems (including the same recycled stories and style) are the same as under McT, which means they probably weren't McT problems.

Glad to see Y/R still doing relatively well.

that one has declined a bit too, but not as much as the others. It's partly cable, but I think the soaps can survive if they return to a formula that works (how about good stories, pacing, and characters, plus FAMILIES instead of a few 'stars'?), and make use of cable, internet, as well as network daytime. I think the GH: Nightshift idea could work for other soaps, too, IF it was done well with the right cast.

• Members

Whenever I try to watch AMC it is such a trainwreck. If you're going to re-focus a show on young'uns, fine. But AMC has several young'uns who look exactly the same and have no spark whatsoever. The show just doesn't work.

I was optimistic for B&E since I liked them on GL, but they have failed.

Archived