October 29 - November 2, 2007

Toups

• Members

For me it's just the stories, even though the production values would suck, I'd still watch it if it was able to hold my attention. Sadly very few soaps are doing that for me now.

I don't think this is even a victory for GL, they win by default because everyone of those soaps they are beating are losing viewers, just not as much as they are.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

AMC, AMC, AMC...oh how the mighty hs fallen. Not surprised. Actually, each week I hope to be, but alas. Looking more and more like Celine is coming to serenade the S.S. AMC as it sinks into cancellation. Please, flame away. I don't care. I didn't want this. I didn't wish this on AMC. But I relish being right. LOL

GH, burn bitch burn! :D I love it.

• Members

ABC soaps are sinking fast. Wow. I remember when they ruled daytime. 25 years ago, I would rush home after school to watch the entire lineup. I still remember the commercial jingle for upcoming shows -"Love in the afternoon.....on 'All My Children'..

Those were the days.

• Members

I remember that too. Do you remember that long commercial with the song "love, love, hurray for love.." from the 80's? And short scenes from all the ABC soaps?

"It's a Wonder of the World... It's a Rocket to the moon..."

• Members

McTavish was just as much a problem for AMC, it's obviously her vision of the show that B&E are fans of. Frons too, didn't he say she just needed a short rest? Maybe when they return from the strike they can bring back AMC's savior, McTavish? That's unless a soap bidding war doesn't have her taking over ATWT or GL or GH or Y&R.

If Frons turned down Kay Alden, who did the impossible at Y&R (taking over for Bill Bell), he will never be able to save AMC. When she took over Y&R she revived the Chancellor and Abbott families. Lots of focus on vets like Victor, Nikki, Jill, Katherine, etc. in major stories. Tons of diversity in terms of race and ages of characters featured. If she brought these things to AMC, I don't see how it could've failed. She also told her stories in a way very similar to classic AMC. Lots of humor mixed with family drama, romance, camp, mystery you name it. Plus the woman was so passionate! WHY did Frons let her go?! Let's not forget Jack Smith had a deal as well.

Idiots.

• Members

I actually use to look fwd to getting these numbers each week... I forgot this week, until now. I guess I know why. Anyway, I just want to say that despite some very good weeks when Carlivati first took over OLTL, I'm disappointed. The last few weeks have been slower than all hell, the Marcie storyline went from being fantastic to boring and ridiculous, I am not buying Viki and the new guy in Texas, Natalie is once again annoying and whiney, and don't get me started on John and Marty. UGH! I am looking forward to Asa's will being read; however, I am not sure it is going to be a big enough event to draw viewers in.

• Members

I agree. ABCD has destroyed its brand by its youth obsession. Frons has been using close to the Disney channel model, where teen stars are turned over every few years. It works for short-term sitcoms, where you also get a new audience in those same few years. These soaps have been around for nigh forty years. It is closer to the actually Disney franchise (Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy, etc.) You guard those saleable characters, and do try to create new ones. You don't give Pluto poisoned pancakes. You don't kill off Scrooge McDuck.

You don't replace Minnie with a blond, teenage mouse.

I tried to watch AMC a few days ago. I recognized only a few characters, and they were not the ones I see spoilers about. I couldn't tell Amanda from Ava from Annie, and doubt I could tell Annie and Greenlee apart. I've watched GH on and off for years, but there is nothing in this Monster's Ball that I care to see. Luke have a heart attack? May be good drama, if it wasn't sandwiched in between Lulu's many suitors. It sounds like way too much death and destruction to be any fun.

OLTL has the familiar faces, but they have been neglected and trashed for so long. It is hard to get excited about Viki in Paris Texas after years of shock/horror stunts -- and I like Viki. The characters I might tune in for are short term (David, Alex, Asa....) - and is it worth it for a three day cameo?

• Members

Speaking of which, I'm occasionally on the phone with my mother during the show and she will switch it over to AMC for a second and she doesn't recognize anybody. She's like "Who's that? Who's that? Who's that?" and I'm like "It's..." and she's like "Who?" And it's not because she has a bad memory, out of the current people that air a lot only Kendall, Ryan, JR and possibly Zach are recognizable to long-time viewers.

• Members

ABC USED to be a home channel for me. If I was home sick, or had a rare afternoon off, I could usually pick up what was going on with whom in just a few minutes. If OLTL was my fave, I knew Erica, Kendall, Bianca, Brooke and others. I thought Simone was simply gorgeous (and Alicia Minshew/Kendall). I grew up with Luke, Laura, Scorpio, Anna, Robin, Lucky, etc. Now, it's actually less effort to pick up a CBS soap than to try to watch most of the GH/AMC junk, and I only occasionally tune into OLTL.

• Members

That is the message they have been giving me and as a result I have tuned out. I would love to tune back in but its current state makes that impossible. More and more I get the feeling the suits are sick of soaps and want them gone. All I can say is that makes me sad. I watched some of these soaps for twenty years. It breaks my heart to give them up but I would rather go cold turkey than watch them in their current state.

Archived