Anyone think Lorraine Broderick should return to AMC?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Zwick and Herkovitz would do any tv show justice--they're probably my fave tv writers ever. But would they ever write for a daytime soap? no... Their film work (which I've always found less interestign than their domestic dramas--though it is interesting that for films they prefer such big epic stories and for tv they prefer domestic relationship shows) is too important and they couldn't do both, plus they're working hard on quarterlife right now (can't wait!--just over a month for the online premier). Add to that that I'm not sure they'd be quite right for AMC because their stuff is SO non-soap opera int erms of all the daytime drama things we take for granted (many people have compared Brothers and Sisters to their writing and while I love B&S and see their compairsons its WAY more soapy for example). Plus AMC has always had a camp element (characters larger than life) especially to their comic scenes which Id on't think H&Z would or could do and I'd miss...

Anyway..Washam was at GL? I always wondered if he did any other soaps... I really think Broderick should be the true heir to Agnes for AMC... Anyone know how old the woman is?

• Members

>> though it is interesting that for films they prefer such big epic stories and for tv they prefer domestic relationship shows

That's b/c, Zwick & Herskovitz are aware that what might work beautifully in one medium might not in another. After all, the beauty of TV is its sense of intimacy, the fact that we invite these characters into our homes every week and "eavesdrop" on most, if not all, facets of their everyday lives.

Put that on a 70-foot screen, and somehow, for me, the magic is lost. The cinema, therefore, demands bigger stories, with more larger-than-life characters.

And yes, I agree their best work isn't exactly soap opera...but who says you can't elevate the genre a little? Besides, did anyone ever watch "Family", the series they worked on back in the '70's? Believe me, lol, they can get good and soapy when they want to.

• Members

I started watching in 1989, so yeah, I think so. But I was too young (10) to understand. I didn't start getting into writing until high school (1993-97), and by the time I started paying attention to who wrote what was smack dab in the middle of Lorraine's 1995-97 tenure.

• Members

Yeah but Family was a Spelling show ;) (though did have Mike Nichols as an EP) I believe only Herskovitz (or was it Zwick *blush) were directly invovled and in later seasons... I just don't see AMC interestign them too much--nto due to snobbism but just the commitment. maybe as a consultant?

And I agree with you--that they realize that for a tv series domestic drama is probably what it shows the best--for a movie not so much

(and where the HELL is thirtysomething on DVD?? Recently a Canadian netowrk reran the whole series, a few years back, and Iw as in Heaven as I had only caught some eps before. but they stopped half way through the final season!)

• Members

Of course Lorraine Broderick should come back! But it will be a cold day in hell.

I miss her AMC which as many have already stated, is the closest thing to Nixon's classic All My Children. Its been a steady downhill tumble since 1997.

• Members

I actually found a bunch of tapes I saved from when Agnes Nixon came back in 99-2000 You can really see she was trying to build back some of the samller details (even silly side stories liek Marian wanting to get to go to the Queen's tea with Adam and being mad that Scott wasn't interested, made sense) and I think it was a very strong show. I never got though why she brouight in Jean Passanate as co-writer and I hope that, since she was still co writer at the time, stuff like Libidizone were all Jean's stuff when Agnes was finishing up the Bianca comes out stuff

Archived