Anyone think Lorraine Broderick should return to AMC?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'd be SOO sad if JFP ever came to Pine Valley...

Yah I'd take Broderick back in a heartbeat. It's interesting many of the old episodes I have of AMC from the early 80s list her as the head writer, despite no official credit to the fact. I also thought her era, despite shrinking ratings, in 96-98 was brilliant even with a few story duds.

I was away in europe for much of her era co-HW OLTL but she never seemed to gell there, what did peopel think of her work on it?

• Members

Gary Tomlin injected a campy flare into OLTL, while the show had some misses, it was generally a good era for OLTL imo. Totally ahead of the crapfest JFP and McTavish had prior and better than what come later. There was a lot more humor on the show and the dialogue was GREAT. One thing with Broderick, the shows she head-writes generally always shine in the dialogue department. It was also this era where OLTL won its first and only Emmy for Outstanding Drama Series. Though it wasn't all good, but this era in OLTL's history was definitely a breath of fresh air, since the show had been in rapid decline for years prior to it.

• Members

YES!

Broderick is my #1 favorite soap writer. She truly knows AMC; her stories have always struck me as raw and realistic. Hell, even the wacky stuff she was forced to do by the network -- Voodoo, Santa Claus -- included sincere emotion and we're basically in-character for those involved.

• Members

got that right. The only concern I would have is that Frons micromanges the soaps too much these days. Im not sure if she'd be given the freedom that she truly wants but instead would just be an extension of Frons and JHC. I could see Broderick leaving on her own bc of "creative differences"

• Members

I just have to reiterate -- I LOVED HER LAST TENURE AT AMC! There was a witty sense of humor about the show that's been missing all of these years. Not only that, but LB was very into developing relationships, both romantic and friendly. She created the Erica/Skye/Janet trio and it worked. Also the Erica/Esther friendship was great, too. The contrasts of those friendships gave Erica a more human feel. Yeah, she was this big time cosmetics exec, former model and celebrity, but she had "real" friends. I loved the development of Adam and Liza under Broderick, as well. The scenes with Adam, Marian and Liza were hilarious.

Also, under Broderick, you got the sense that you were watching real people and they actually did all live in the same town. There was no "Star" no "hero" no "saint." It was just people living their lives and dealing with their issues and relationships.

Now, this whole "let's have Ryan be all-knowing, all powerful, heroic GOD" crap is on my last nerve.

As much as I enjoy Zendall, this should NOT be the Zendall/Ryannie show.

• Members

Yes I would love for Broderick to return but I doubt she will since it is clear she dislikes Frons. They offered her the head writing gig for AMC in 2003 but she refused and I cannot see her writing under a hack like Frons. But it would be wonderful if she could come back...ABC just needs to get it together and can Frons and bring in Felicia Minei Behr as president.

As much as I enjoyed the first few weeks of B&E, they really have not captivated me.

• Members

Yes, we need Broderick to come back and fix the current crap!

I hope JFP never comes near AMC. It's gotten bad enough the past few years and she would just kill it.

I can understand why Broderick wouldn't work for Frons. It's been obvious the past few years from his quotes about AMC that he has no clue what used to make this show so great.

ITA that B&E came on strong in the first few weeks by delving more deeply into the characters, especially Greenlee, than anyone had in years, but they've since petered out. The show is nearly as unwatchable now as it was under McT.

• Members

I think Frons showed with the hiring of B&E that old AMC is no longer AMC. I think at best he wants an improved version of McTavish's version of the show. That's the only way I can understand him picking B&E over Kay Alden. She did an excellent job of reviving Y&R after Bill Bell stepped down, revived several families and characters that were on the simmer. She had great humor, camp, romance and character driven drama. From her speech at MIT she seemed to REALLY want the job and to turn AMC around.

With all those positives working for Alden, if he'd turn he down, then he wouldn't even consider Broderick. From what I've read about her, AMC seems to be the soap for her and I'd love to see her get her hands on it again. As much as Frons may want to, how can he justify keeping B&E who have been duds since day one? The ratings were dropping with McTavish and are getting worse. I hope they don't wait too long like CBS did (still are) with ATWT (which is pretty dead ratings wise).

Archived