September 3-7, 2007

Toups

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think its possible. OLTL has passed GH once or twice in the past few years... I know that it did when Daniel was revealed to be gay and a killer and also during Todd's execution. Whether or not it could ever maintain a lead for an extended period time over Gh is a different story, but I would definately love to see it happen.

• Members

The positives for DAYS from this week:

-After a two week miss, DAYS is back at #1 in 18-34 and well they at least GAINED viewers!

As much as the TTS story SUCK and as much as Sami/EJ/Colleen/Santo has been played lately, the show is MILES better than it was earlier this year and MUCH better than it was under Reilly.

DAYS biggest problem is balance at the moment, the show is EXTREMLY lopsided and not in a good way.

When everyone else is on though, the show is just SO much better.

It definetly deserves a better rating than 2.0 though!

• Members

Look again at the ratings. GH has 159,000 more total viewers than OLTL, not "at least one million more." Among the key demographic, women 18-49, the difference is only 33,000. And last week, OLTL tied GH on Tues, Wed, and Fri. It only fell below them on Thursday (the OLTL repeat beat GH Monday, though that wasn't counted in the ratings).

• Members

Remember: If GH falls, so does AMC & OLTL in quality & ratings. Right or wrong, ABC Daytime has much more faith in GH's abilities to garner large ratings & massive buzz. Look at all those people are are wishing (some even PRAYING) for Y&R's fall. Well, I guess they want GL to be cancelled as well, huh? Case in point: Summer 2007 Friday ratings.

Higley is a better HW, and writer for that matter, than RGJ?? She did write the vast majority of OLTL this year, up until 9/10/07, with rare yearly increases in ratings. She layed the foundation for the Tommy story.

I should have elaborated more. When I said that GH has at least 1 million more viewers than OLTL, I was referring to the TOTAL viewers GH gets on ABC (3/2c), SOPAPnet (morning, 10/9c + weekends), internet (YouTube etc). That's why DOOL is more popular than ATWT. On the night that GH:NS premiered, GH got about 500,000 viewers at 10/9c on SOAPnet, while GH:NS got 1 million at 11/10c. You can always add at least 300,000 viewers to GH's 3/2c airing. Eg. GH 9/4/07: 3.390 million +SOAPnet (10/9c)=3.690 million. The same goes for AMC & OLTL, but on a smaller scale, maybe 50,000 less viewers than GH's 300,000. AMC came close to being a cultural phenomenon, OLTL didn't.

I'll even go as far to say that B&B is not the 2nd highest rated show. I wish that Disney would release monthly SOAPnet ratings, and for them to stream their daytime lineup on abc.com.

I don't see any show overtaking Y&R in total viewers anytime soon, the least of all OLTL. I guess LML is here to stay, y'all.

• Members

Barring SoapNet and internet buzz, which you seem to incorporate, I think we all refer to the actual live viewings on network television. By that assessment, the ABC soaps are pretty close behind one another.

GH may be flagship ABC soap, but are we forgetting the 90's? From at least 90-96, AMC was higher rated than both GH and OLTL. For awhile there, it was as if AMC was ABCD's pride and joy. Hell, if we averaged up the 90's, Y&R would be the #1 ranked soap of the decade, AMC would be #2, and Days would be #3.

My point is, the ABC soaps can stand on their own and generate their own buzz without GH. Their live ratings are very close together, if GH decreases (and GH airs after both AMC and OLTL in about all markets) that doesn't necessarily mean AMC and OLTL will too.

• Members

^ I agree with you post 100%

Just because GH's ratings fall doesn't mean AMC and OLTL will fall. Like you said durning the 1990's AMC was the #1 ABC soap. AMC, OLTL, and GH can hold on their own. They don't need to be in a pact.

AMC was the #1 soap for 3 weeks in a row in April 2006 or 2005 I think. Each ABC soap can standon their own.

• Members

Wouldn't Passions be counted on DirectTV. It's still technically on air even though it's not being broadcasted by NBC. Plus DirectTV is broadcasted to I believe 36 million viewers was it and who knows maybe it'll have a following there. I think it would if they decide to shed more skin...well more than they have with the models who claim to be actors.

GL's position on the bottom scares me! If I were DK, I'd be spanning out Quint and Nola comebacks and listen to the fans! GL is a momentus show for a reason, find that light!

Archived