DAYS: Fall Previews!

• Members

I see every point you are making and agree with a lot of it to an extent.

EJ has been a highlight for me a well. I think He is a great character, and still has some potential. There is a problem though, and it's called clutter.

I'll try to make this short.....My parents just bought a new house, and my wife and I have come in to help them decorate. They have a beautiful couch that is massive and is too big for the den they are trying to put it in. If they keep it in the den, the built-ins and the fireplace will be blocked no matter how we arrange the room. Should they just not care that the character of the room will be ruined if they keep the couch?

I love decorating, almost as much as I love politics (Go Obama!) and Days....It's my passion. And I know that that beautiful couch worth thousands of dollars is too big, and it won't do the room justice, nor will the room do it justice.

Some of the characters gotta go. I would cut Jeremy, Stephanie, Phillip, Jett, Lucas, one supercouple (I WON"T PICK WHICH ONE!!), and a couple of villans. There is too much on the screen right now to keep a person involved. To many characters, not enough characterization, and too little time to delve into a good story.

EJ has oversaturated our screen to the point that there are no other stories to tell. THIS is the problem IMHO. Again IMHO. I'm not trying to buck the trend here, I'm just stating what I see. He, along with this Collen story, is the show right now, and I think the show could do more, better. John and Stefano haven't faced off, but both Drake and Joe are on the show. Victor and Steve haven't had words yet, and both are old rivals. Julie is in town and hasn't sat down with Sami to tell her how to deal with EJ, the rape, and the letters.

The writers are screwing up, yes, but there isn't enough room on the show to focus on the right characters and tell a good story.

I don't want EJ gone, but better a character thats been on for a couple of years, than an old favorite.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I respect that and understand.

Corday should have found a writer that understood the history of our show.

If he had, we wouldn't have to discuss this type of thing.

It's sad really. Very sad.

Hogan has been a huge disappointment. I'm really let down. I think he really dropped the ball on EJ, turned him absolutely evil, then wanted to recant. The problem is, he had already raped Sami, shot John, and messed with half of Salem. I don't think Hogan even comes close to understanding Days. Atleast not Days as we know it.

It's been too long since we had a writer that did understand. That much is obvious, and those who have watched a while know it. It's been 20 years and counting since this show, the real Days, came on NBC.

• Members

I dont think cutting Jeremy, Stephanie, Jett etc is a good idea...they need to be the future generation of the series (if it makes it past 09). The characters do need some work, but Belle, Shawn and Philip alone are not enough to carry the next generation of story. There needs to be another generation to feature in the next generation of story. I think the young characters could use some work, definitely, but getting rid of them shouldnt be an option right now.

• Members

SOD's headlines aren't always accurate. For instance, their May 22nd issue had the blaring headline: Young and Restless...Nick Dies!...In Fatal Crash.

I am one of the few who followed James Scott from AMC to Days. If Days lets him go, I don't plan to continue watching. I used to be a Days viewer, but I stopped to watch the ABC soaps in the 80's, and watched sporatically when they aired on SoapNet. I hope this is just "creative" headlining for SOD.

Loretta

• Members

You're right again Aremid. There was so much more to keep me as a viewer than there is now. We hadn't lost nearly all our Hortons and had better stories (if memory serves me). The story that nearly lost me then though was when they put Kayla with Shane. I guess I am just a slave to habit. Sometimes I just watch out of habit. And hope. I used to like Belle/Shawn (not a Philip fan) but now they are boring. I also wished for them to bring on Jeremy (be careful what you wish for!!) and see how that worked out! Regarding EJ, well, James Scott is a fine actor and I probably would have liked him more if I hadn't seen him as an obstacle to Lumi in the beginning, but Lumi has also been a big fizzle for me and I am disappointed in that fact as I waited a long time for them to be together and now. . . I hope that if there are cast cuts coming (and I do see that happening as I have always thought the cast was too large) that some of the characters that have been backburnered (Kate, Billie, Anna etc) get more to do. Not using them properly is such a waste of talent.

• Members

ICAM and that's why it's so frustrating. And if Days really wants to stay on NBC or get picked up elsewhere they have to fix things -- and while I will stop watching if James Scott goes -- I'm sure others would like to see the show be true to its history, characters acting like themselves and the vets getting good storylines.

Sheffer, however, doesn't seem like the one who will be able to do it. Think Willow --- as in MONTHS of Willow. Seriously, they had Belle and Phil break up and instead of going to Belle, Shawn hooks up with Willow?? Now there's China Lee and her 2 kids and a new "college life" story where more actors will be added. Why do they keep adding these new people - esp those with no ties to the show - and giving them so much airtime? Yes, Sheffer put EJ on too much - I'll admit that even though he's easy on the eyes and ears - and some of that time should have gone to others (not Willow or her hairbrush or brother!!). The priorities don't seem to be right and Sheffer (or whoever) doesn't seem to get it...

• Members

On another show, EJ would have been gone months for what he did to Sammy. No matter how good of an actor he was. Or at the very least, they wouldn't have turned him into a wannabe romantic lead after he raped Sami and torturned the whole town.

• Members

E.J. should not be cut, IMO, even if he has been annoying me a bit lately. I agree with those who have said he's the most successful new character DAYS has seen in years, and it would be foolish to get rid of him so quickly.

As for cast cuts, this is what I predict will happen.

- Frank Parker will be cut and Grandpa Shawn will be killed off.

- Marcus Patrick will be cut.

- Trevor Donovan will be cut, but Jeremy will be recast.

- Peggy McCay and Suzanne Rogers will be downgraded to recurring status.

Archived