Primetime Soaps

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I wasn't that into it at the time (aside from Buffy/Angel), but looking back it was of a stronger quality than most of that genre now, as it wasn't trying to be a stale 1985-form of a primetime soap made incredibly boring and rigid.

I always meant to watch Roswell but never did, although I've heard people insist Katherine Heigl ruined the show anyway.

• Members

The WB really did have a strong and unique brand. It's too bad that faded, instead of building into something, but then when I think of what FOX has become, maybe it's better to burn bright for a few years and then fade away.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Actually, Heigl was the best part of "Roswell" happy.png

I watched the show from beginning to end (even the awful 3rd season on UPN where the show had completely lost its focus) and I enjoyed Heigl's character the most.

The two main couples – Max & Liz and Michael & Maria – got on my nerves most of the time.

I also faithfully watched "Popular" and "Dawson's Creek" back then, caught an episode of "Charmed" here and then, and sometimes tuned in to "7th Heaven" (when nothing else was on).

In my country, none of these shows were shown in primetime (except "7th Heaven" for a brief time and "Charmed" during the later seasons because it had gathered quite a following). "7th Heaven" was shown weekdays around 4 p.m.; "Popular", "Dawson's Creek", "Felicity", "Party of Five", "Roswell" and early "Charmed" seasons were shown on Saturday afternoons which was the usual time when teenagers in the late 90s/early 00s would watch television.

It all started when "Beverly Hills 90210" premiered on a Saturday in 1991, and then all American shows aimed at teenagers were subsequently placed between 3 and 6 p.m. on different channels. This basically ended around 2003/2004 when the genre was pretty much dead. Nowadays, these timeslots are filled with sitcoms or scripted reality.

"Safe Harbor", "Wasteland" and "Jack & Jill" never aired here. I guess they were cancelled rather quickly?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Ouch! TV Guide June 26th 1965

Cleveland Amory’s review of Our Private World is not kind. He notes that the twice-weekly prime time CBS serial has even less depth than As the World Turns, the daytime serial it was spun-off from. “In fact, if it weren’t for repeating everything twice, we don’t think they’d be on twice a week.” He explains the basic plot of the series and its main characters before ending with the following:

Altogether it is the first show we’ve seen in a long time where literally
nothing
is good–the idea, the producing, the writing or the directing. As for the acting, it has to be seen to be believed–and, believe us, it shouldn’t be. The girls are bad and the boys are worse. One thing this show dose, though. It makes
Peyton Place
look great. In fact, the only thing we cannot fault is the title,
Our Private World
. The mistake was in making it public.