Brokeback Mountain

RogerNewcomb

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I saw Brokeback a few nights ago...in Utah. My great state made the national news when one of the biggest theaters in the state pulled the movie right before the first showing, but it is still playing in other theaters, and they are packed.

Anyways, I thought it was an excellent movie. I was very impressed by Heath, Jake and Michelle. I hope Heath pulls an Oscar nom.

And boy…Heath and Jake had some of the best on screen chemistry I have seen in years….gay, straight or whatever. I wish they could steam of the screen like that on daytime.

In sum, I loved the movie. Well acted, produced and directed. Very bittersweet and heart breaking.

• Members

I don't know about this movie. There have been lots of these gay movies with the straight actors, but I'm sure if one or both of the stars were really gay this film wouldn't be getting the same buzz, awards, press, etc. Even if it were just as good, I just don't see it.

But thats how it goes--A straight actor will win an Oscar for playing gay and a gay actor will be lucky to even get a part, lol.

• Members

I want the best actors in the roles regardless of whether they're gay or straight or bisexual. What they do in their private lives is their own business unless they chose to make it public.

I'm glad more and more people are getting to see it. It's earned nearly double what it cost to make the film and probably will be more after this weekend.

• Members

I read this today...

British actor John Barrowman says he was told by casting directors that he was "too straight" for TV sitcom "Will and Grace". But unlike Eric McCormack, who eventually got the part of Will, Barrowman is, in real life, openly gay.

Sometimes the gay actor is too "straight" for the gay role.

Good luck to BBM tonight at the Golden Globes!

• Members

Isn't John Barrowman the same who was on NBC's short-lived soap "Titans?" If that's the one I'm thinking about, he was the best thing about that show.

Hollywood casting is weird. I mean on one hand, you have an openly gay actor like Ian McKellan who portrayed gay director James Wale, and then you have casting agents who would rather cast straight actors and actresses for gay parts, I guess because it'll get the movie more acclaim.

• Members

See but what is too straight? Especially for Will! It's just playing into the tired gay stereotypes. Another actor, Reichen from Amazing Race said he's auditions for numerous soaps and they've all loved him but won't cast him because their female audience won't accept an openly gay male as a straight one.

That's what it all comes down to. Lesbians and already established gay actors like Rupert Everett, Ian McKellan and even Alam Cumming can get the straight parts, but the majority of gay actors have a much more difficult time regardless of talent.

If Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhal were both gay in real life, I'm sure this film wouldn't be getting half the press and both of their mainstream action movie roles would dry up.

• Members

B)-->

QUOTE(Chris B @ Jan 18 2006, 11:03 AM)

See but what is too straight? Especially for Will! It's just playing into the tired gay stereotypes. Another actor, Reichen from Amazing Race said he's auditions for numerous soaps and they've all loved him but won't cast him because their female audience won't accept an openly gay male as a straight one.

That's what it all comes down to. Lesbians and already established gay actors like Rupert Everett, Ian McKellan and even Alam Cumming can get the straight parts, but the majority of gay actors have a much more difficult time regardless of talent.

If Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhal were both gay in real life, I'm sure this film wouldn't be getting half the press and both of their mainstream action movie roles would dry up.

U r right!!

• Members

Well I just saw this movie...amazing, raw, powerful, depressing. Those are the words that come to mind. Seriously great film...very true to real life. I'm still taking it all in. Heath and Jake had amazing chemistry. So sad Heath couldn't let himself be permanently who he is, while Jake was willing...what a sad, real, raw story.

Archived