Brokeback Mountain

RogerNewcomb

• Members

Okay, I decided to buy the DVD today.

Wow.

Yes, I know, delayed reaction. I always wait until AFTER the first wave of hype to read many, many reviews before deciding to buy a movie. I never rent... I always buy. Don't know why.

Anyways... wow.

I just really don't know what to say. Jake and Heath had an incredible chemistry. I mean, gay/straight, whatever. That chemistry was thick! You could but it with a knife.

The story itself was painful and sad. Jake's character, Jack, was willing to live a life with Heath's character, Ennis. But Ennis was afraid of people thinking of him as a queer, so he never fully gave in to his feelings for Jack, causing them to miss out on the opportunity of living a life together. Unfortunately, that very thing happens in real life with us gay folk. One side is willing to take the plunge, while the other side is too fearful. Or both sides are too fearful and never reveal their feelings. It's a shame, very depressing. I watched this entire movie thinking, "Wow, I can relate to that... damn, I can relate to that, too!"

My favorite scene has got to be the scene where Jack and Ennis embraced and kissed right outside of Ennis's place while Michelle Williams character watched from the door. They hadn't seen one another in four years. They missed the hell out of one another, and when Jack pulled in the drive, Ennis immediately ran out to hug him. For a moment, they almost kissed, but stopped themselves. Suddenly, Ennis pushed Jack up against the wall and they clung to one another as if they just couldn't get enough... and they started kissing, on the spot. That's when Ennis's wife witnessed it all from the door. That scene was SO intense. Romantic, dramatic, heartbreaking, all in one.

I could go on and on (as I usually tend to do), but I'll just leave it at that.

Great movie!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Great post - glad you finally saw the movie! I'm pretty sure we have the same feelings and emotions on the film after watching it. I definitely could relate...the two sides and everything.

Side note: I wonder...what if Ennis' father never told him and showed him the dead bodies of the two outcasted gay guys? Do you think Ennis would have still felt like he could never give in to his true feelings and live with Jack?

• Members

Lauren bought this yesterday and we watched it last night for the 2nd time (1st was in theaters). It was actually better than I remember it, and I remembed it as a great movie. I cannot relate personally to what Jack and Ennis went through, but that's not because of my sexuality; I just have never been in a position like that. In fact, I think anyone could relate...after all, at the core, it's a love story about two people who can't be with each other. That occurs all the time for many different reasons. Anyway, awesome performances from Jake, Heath, and Michelle, with Anne and Linda C. (The woman who dated Ennis) also holding their own.

• Members

Well, I respectfully disagree, LoL.

It was predictable, but I wasn't watching the movie to be surprised or have some huge unexpected twist thrown my way. I was watching for the love story -- and that's what they delivered on.

• Members

It was a good love story, but I can't root for two people who are running around their spouses and children, be it gay or straight.

The directing was AMAZING, and their one kiss was uber hot. Michelle Williams was excellent, but that's about all I'm willing to give BM. Memoirs of a Geisha totally deserved a best movie nod over BM! IMO.

• Members

You...will...become...GEISHA!

God, I don't know if there was any film more heavy-handed and ridiculously over done than MOAG. And that's just the direction. Don't get me started on that screenplay.

Not every film has to be "unpredictable" to be considered a good story. Salience is sometimes overrated, and subtlety is sometimes best. What BBM lacked in predictability was more than made up for with its screenplay, which dug deep into human emotion and the human condition. It's the little moments that count.

Cheating on spouses is not a black-and-white thing. It's often an internal struggle, and in the case of Jack and Ennis, they were victims of the society they lived in. They wouldn't be hurting their spouses if it wasn't for the society they lived in and peoples' expectations of them. Today, we see so many similar situations of what Jack and Ennis were in, and it's just a shame.

The two characters were flawed. But, a film in which a protagonist is perfect is usually a bad film. You cannot relate.

• Members

Sorry, Britney, but predictability factor is H U G E with me.

I am usually a fan of the story of a movie. Not the cast, or the directing, or whatever. I may like those things about it. But what really reels me in and gets me is the story. I couldn't get behind this story.

Archived