Brokeback Mountain

RogerNewcomb

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You know it seems that actors and actresses seem to do so much better in "independant" movies. Maybe that's because unlike mainstream Hollywood pictures, there's a freedom to really give it their all without pressures of pandering to the studios?

Ya, Jake is HOT. I can look in those eyes all day long!

• Members

Just think if we had an "independent" soap that could be produced with a network honcho and sponsor interference. Just someone's true vision. I bet it would be better as well.

I'm so happy all these big names took a chance with Brokeback. Will be interesting to see if other top male actors consent to doing gay roles now. Can you imagine Tom Cruise playing gay (since he's denied it so long). LOL

• Members

I have to start by saying that Brokeback Mountain gets an A+ from me, and I want to see it over and over. Loved it, can't say enough about it. And sorry Joaquin, but Heath Ledger just stole your Oscar. We got there early and the theater was packed and we had to sit in the third row. It was a perfect movie for me, all character drama and no special effects, explosions, etc, etc. Just well drawn characters.

• Members

"Brokeback Mountain," the film adaptation of Annie Proulx's story of the enduring but thwarted love between two cowboys won the award for best picture of 2005 from the L.A. Film Critics Association.

FILM

"Brokeback Mountain"

DIRECTOR

Ang Lee

SCREENPLAY

"Capote," Dan Futterman

"The Squid and the Whale," Noah Baumbach

ACTOR

Philip Seymour Hoffman, "Capote"

ACTRESS

Vera Farmiga, "Down to the Bone"

SUPPORTING ACTOR

William Hurt, "A History of Violence"

SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Catherine Keener, "Capote," "The 40-Year Old Virgin," "The Ballad of Jack & Rose," "The Interpreter"

MUSICAL SCORE

"Howl's Moving Castle," composer Joe Hisaishi

CINEMATOGRAPHY

"Good Night, And Good Luck." Robert Elswit

PRODUCTION DESIGN

"2046," William Chang Suk-Ping

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM

"Caché (Hidden)," Michael Haneke

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE

"Grizzly Man," Werner Herzog

ANIMATED FEATURE

"Wallace & Gromit in The Curse of the Were-Rabbit," Nick ParkNick Park and Christopher Box

NEW GENERATION AWARD

Terrence Howard

DOUGLAS EDWARDS EXPERIMENTAL/INDEPENDENT FILM AWARD

"La Commune (Paris 1871)," Peter Watkins

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Honestly, I am not seeing all of the buzz. I was very excited to see it like many of you. I think it is excellent that this movie is breaking down barriers and putting a huge taboo out there for everyone to see. Yeah. That's great. But I am a huge film buff, and something about this movie getting Oscar buzz just bothers me.

I don't think Gyllenhaal's OR Ledger's performances are worthy of a nod - especially not a win. I could possibly see arguments for Ledger since, IMO, he was given the meatier of the material towards the end, but for the most part, his character was too stoic. I don't know - not Oscar-worthy by any means, IMO, for either of them. I'd love to see Michelle Williams nominated for it. She was great in her scenes.

And I totally thought Proulx's short story was based on true events/a real story so I was P.O.-ed to find that wasn't the case!

My favorite scene was when Jack came to visit Ennis at his house, and they kissed right outside the house with Michelle inside. Great scene! Passionate. Intense. Romantic. HOT!

Don't get me wrong. A really good movie! It wasn't bad by any means. A little boring in the beginning, but it picked up and was memorable. I don't think it was phenomenal.

Good movie? Yes. Does it deserve the same award as American Beauty, Titanic, Rain Man, Forest Gump, Shawshank Redemption etc etc? Not in my eyes.

:)

• Members

American Beauty, while a decent film, was and still is extremely overrated. And this is coming from someone who worships the ground Kevin Spacey walks on.

Forrest Gump is another very overrated movie as well.

Brokeback is not playing in any theaters in my area, so I will have to get this on DVD.

• Members

I enjoyed the movie a great deal. I thought Heath Ledger was wonderful. In fact, I liked all the performances, but thought Ledger and Michelle Williams were amazing.

Jake G's performance was good.

Anne Hathaway didn't have as meaty material as Michelle Williams, but you she showed the progression of the character.

All of them were victims of circumstances.

• Members

Oh wow. I just saw this movie recently and it was amazing. A bit slow, but very heartbreaking and poignant nonetheless. Heath Ledger was absolutely fantastic in it. Actually, all the acting was superb. I really hope this movie gets some recognition.

Archived