Brokeback Mountain

RogerNewcomb

• Members

Do you have Jack's boyish hotness as well? :P

Gotta say that I found Jake to have a better performance than Heath, but since it's Ennis' life in which themovie is centered he got most of the recognition.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 years later...
  • Members

Just watched this movie for the first time, and I do not know why I waited for so long. Wonderfully shot, wonderfully written and amazing, amazing performances. The characters and the passion were alive, they jumped up on you. It was touching, it was tense, it was raw, and it was real. Was it obvious that we weren't going to get a happy ending? Unfortunately, it was. I have yet to watch a gay love story that doesn't end badly. But, in so many ways, it was the journey that mattered, not the ending. The differences between Jack and Ennis, the commitment one of them wanted to make, and the inability of the other one to do so. The endearing love for one another. Maybe it was just me, but Ennis' childish excitement everytime he was getting ready to go away with Jack was wonderfully touching. It was a small movie, that's why I think some were disappointed by it. One goes to the theater, all the buzz in mind, expecting to see James Bondian tricks, but it was a character-driven plot, and so not about twists, and surprises. That's why moments like Ennis threatening to kill Jack if he finds out he was seeing someone else were so strong. It was, in many ways, the biggest proclamation of love that Ennis ever made to Jack. It was his way of saying: "I love you." I also adored the secretly loving gaze that Jack's mother gave Ennis. It was never explicitly said, but I think she knew, and she adored Ennis for making her son so happy. Jack's jacket and Ennis' shirt hanging together was the best tribute: It seemed to signal that they will always, always be together.

One thing, though: Why does every "gay" tale end with one of them being bashed to death? Or both? Or one of them being a terrorist, etc? I'm trying hard to get a message out of the movie that says: "You should follow your heart and not wait," instead of "be gay and you die." I just can't help but feel that we haven't had enough happy endings to jump straight to the bad ones.

• Members

Well, first off you NEED to watch Shelter. Its an amazing film about two guys dealing with life and falling in love and it has a happy ending.

and the unhappy endings in gay movies dont bother me, aside from romantic comedy's most movies dont have a happy ending.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Took me long enough, but I finally watched SHELTER and it was a.ma.zing! Just fantastic altogether, with incredibly well-written dialogue. It felt so real. That ending was one of the sweetest things ever.

Archived