All: Soap Budgets

• Members

To also raise the point...how do you know Marelna isn't wearing something from K-Mart. We don't know unless someone asks a question in SOD. They don't show that wadrobe provided by or say it anymore...I remember back in the day, early 90s they would say at the end of GL, wadrobe provided by....but not anymore!

I mean we gripe about writing, acting, stories, firings, sets ( I DO ! ) so if they could cut back on the clothing spending that would be huge and you can find stuff at KMart, Wal-Mart, Target, Sears and other places that doesn't look tacky, these people realize that their consumers are on a budget and want to look good. It would take some extra work and creativity from the costume designer but they could do it!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So does anyone know how much DAYS's budget is per episode?

I just found out that Croatian soap "Forbidden Love" has (on average) a budget of $30 000 per episode! (It's an half hour soap)

Croatian telenovelas have an even bigger budget per episode.

• Members

I work at Target and I have seen items pop up before on soaps. A while back Amber was wearing a top from Target. Its not like you can tell now if they are wearing stuff from those places or not.

On a side note: Does anyone watch Y&R and GH? Jill and Maxie were wearing the same top the other day: the black lacey one. I thought it was funny considering Maxie is about 20ish and Jill is in her 50's.

• Members

Before the 2004 contract their budget was 1.9 million per week or $380,000 per episode (Highest in daytime)

When DAYS was picked up in 2004 the budget was slashed by 10 million dollars, which put the show at 1.7 million per week or $340,000 per episode

When the second half of the contract was picked up last year, they took a 20 million dollar annual cut. The show now has a 1.3 million per week budget or $240,000 per episode.

• Members

as someone who has worked at target, walmart, and kmart... a lot of clothing on soaps come from them. and idk about the NY ones by alot of clothing on LA soaps come from pretty cheep clothing shops around outside LA.

and idk.. maybe its just me cu im spoiled but a lot of stuff now a days at macys and stuff isnt that much money. they have a lot of amaing clothing marked at pretty good prices (20-50). i work at pacsun now and a lot of things we have are more than a lot of stuff at macys.

p.s. marlena netime wore a beige-ish color suit with a white blowse under it and idk for shure, but it looks identical to one we has judt got in at kmart at the time.

Archived