All: Soap Budgets

• Members

This has been something that I have been thinking about a lot lately! Did anyone see last week THE VIEW where they did budget week, it was the second time this season...it got me thinking. What if soaps went on a budget week, you know!!

It chaps my #*$ to see where designers are like, "Uh-huh we got this at Macy's." Why don't they shop at Wal-Mart, Target, Sears, JCPenny's, Old Navy or Payless for starters. I mean you think about it...think of what everything costs! You could easily fit a woman, especially in a nice suit from Sears or Target and save on so much cash!! It just baffles me...Just a thought! I seriously think a study should be done!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Oh no I meant they should be on a clothing budget for LONG TERM, it was named "Budget Week" on The View. I think if they would buy clothes from Wal-Mart or Target and then they could also advertise, not like they did with AMC perfume awhile back, but for example, if Kim Zimmer is wearing a Target getup there could be Target commercials:

"Look like diva.." or something. It would be so good I think.

• Members

Some shows used to do that, the character would have their particular wardrobe with certain reused items of clothing, so it was actually similar to a real person picking clothing out of a real person's closet, as versus having the whole of Saks Fifth Avenue for their personal wardrobe.

• Members

I disagree that clothes are the way for soaps to economize. In 2000 ATWT did a funny little scene where Henry cross-dressed as Henrietta and had on a wig that resembled Colleen Zenk-Pinter's hair at the time. Henrietta said that she'd gotten her hair done "to look like Barbara on my soap opera." This scene is true. The shows are taped in New York and LA. We expect that we'll see actors and actresses wearing the latest fashions and having the latest hair-dos. I feel like soap characters are meant to wear the clothes we wish we could afford.

• Members

I see your point Juppiter and it makes sense. But the soaps are crying cutbacks, budget, money issues and our faves or suffering...stories are suffering. Plus it maybe like what we would want to wear, but what if they were wearing things we could all wear. The money cuts backs are there! Ties ins to name brand stores who could buy commercial spots. I'm not saying everything has to be low budget but it could be an idea you know...

• Members

In my Sociology class, we were actually talking about how easy it is for people to "look" like their rich, even if they're actually in a lower class. There are a lot of clothes that look nice and are less than $20.

On soaps, I think they could actually save a lot of money if they started using cheaper-priced clothes. I know that some soaps already do that, but it depends. Then, we would be able to buy the clothes too (because I definitely can't afford something that came from Saks, but I could afford something if it came from Target.)

• Members

I agree!

On this controversial issue, I'll give my two cents:

The poor people or middle class people on soaps SHOULD dress that way. THe rich people should dress that way that someone mentioned in this thread (look rich on a poor man's budget). It's all about realism. I don't want Marlena wearing KMart clothes. SORRY. Mimi, on the other hand, should shop at Wal-mart and BE SHOWN shopping at Wal-Mart (product placement brings $$, Days!) They could tie in shopping trips as product placements and make extra bucks and I don't see why they don't. It just makes sense!

Archived