DAYS: "Unlikely to continue past 2009..."

• Members

This really, really saddens me. I guess I was hoping for a resurgence. Nighttime serials have made a comeback, and I was hoping the same for daytime.

Unfortunately, I was also hoping that out of fear or loyalty NBC would continue to air Days. I guess I'm a bit surprised that they would risk alienating millions of fans when their network is floundering. It's not like we're talking about any show. Days is an institution, and its fans are extremely loyal.

I really can't see Days going to another network. This breaks my heart.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

W.T.F?!?!?!?!!?

I go to class for an hour an 15 minutes and I come back to see the destruction of Daytime beginning. This is the NBC Universal President, people! DAYS is a goner in 2009. There's no hope for the show on NBC. NBC soaps will be extinct come 2010 :(

With that said, the question remains, will DAYS be cancelled all together? I truly believe that DAYS has a lot of more years ahead of herself and deserves the chane to continue on. The fans are the most outspoken in daytime. The show is the 1-5th place searched item on the Internet every year! DAYS is a huge thing! I'm with juniorz in thinking that DAYS will be the sole survivor of daytime soap operas. I'm narrowing it down to Y&R, GH, DAYS and probably B&B to be the final four.

Where should DAYS go? Well, it's no secret that ABC Daytime wants Days of our Lives on it's lineup. The only problem is that Ken Corday is not going to give up ownership to the show. Would Frons allow this? Who knows? We shall see.

What are the other possibilities? CBS Daytime? I can't see GL or ATWT remaining on television for much longer, so that will free up some space on CBS. I can see DAYS as a CBS soap before and ABC soap. ABC focuses on the 20/30 somethings, while DAYS has more of an over-40 major character. CBS is more of an "elderly" network, so I could see DAYS being on with their vets. Plus, Y&R and DAYS are both produced by Sony. That could come into effect. And if I'm not mistaken, the Cordays own some of Y&R from whenever DAYS allowed Bill Bell out of his contract to create the show. I think Y&R and DAYS on the same network would be a huge force to be reckoned with. Plus, going onto CBS will allow Corday to keep ownership of his show.

DAYS ON CBS FOR 2010!!!

• Members

ITA with you here, Drew. I say those four will be the final soaps standing (for how long, that remains to be seen). And I still honestly feel that if ratings were reflected more accurately, we would not be in this situation right now. There's more people who watch soaps than Nielsen says, I guarantee it.

• Members

Not surprised at all

I am very confident however that CBS will pick up DAYS in 2009. Sadly, ATWT and GL will both be gone by then and DAYS would be a perfect fit with Y&R/B&B

Corday would never give up control. Sony owns Y&R and DAYS so the show going to CBS makes more sense than it going to ABC.

• Members

I've posted before why going to ABC would be such a disaster for Days.

CBS is our only hope. At least with CBS, Corday has a chance of getting to keep ownership of the show, and it won't be completely wrecked as a result.

Either way, Days (as we know it) is finished. It might continue on elsewhere, but it won't be the same show. It'll have to be re-tooled massively, no matter what, IMO.

• Members

You know what? So am I.

Seriously, Days will continue. For some reason, I don't worry about it.

This sucks all around and Zucker can kiss my ass but I am actually to the point where I want Days off NBC. Seriously, this article almost comes off as a why to get people not to invest in Days so that NBC doesn' look like idiots getting rid of it. It's like they want it to fail so they can get rid of it.

We know ABC wants it and I read on another site that CBS actually was interested as well. Days is a cash cow and on a good network with Hogan writing the show could be HUGE. I always wondered what Days could do with a good lead in.

I just hate the fact that it will move and another show will go because that is what will happen, sadly. Noth networks will go after the bigger numbers and that is what Days is in comparison to ATWT/GL and AMC/OLTL. Honestlly, all four of those can be gone or cut down within the next two years. I said before that I wonder if the GMA thing is a way for ABC to lay the groundwork to pursue Days.

I worry about what Frons would do to it but, seriously, the man worked at NBC during the late 80's/early 90's. He knows what Days is. Not to say he wouldn't wreck it but if he wants it as much he says he does, he will get it at any cost even if it means letting Corday have some say.

CBS is looking like an option too, moreso then in the past. ATWT and GL are in trouble and Days closeness with Y&R and B&B is a big plus.

I don't know. This articles actually makes me want Days to move now. I know it might not turn out well but it may also turn out great. Who knows. I know Frons history and I know other soaps that moved have failed but Days is very popular and well-known. I think it could do well. The sad part is another soap will go to make way for or two will be cut down.

This sucks but we all knew it was coming. I just didn't expect Zuker to come right out and say it like a pompous ass. Now he mentioned 2009 so I wonder if NBC is committed to it until then. If I am Days, I start putting out feelers to other networks because staying on NBC is like countdown to death. NBC probably won't even force affiliates to carry it. :angry:

God, this sucks for all soaps.

• Members

I definitely don't see DAYS just disappearing after it leaves NBC, thank God. I'm certain it will go either to ABC or CBS, but which one remains the question. God, I HOPE HOPE HOPE CBS takes DAYS. I realize changes would still need to be made, but they wouldn't be anywhere near as bad as if DAYS moved to ABC. In fact, I could easily picture a Y&R/B&B/DAYS lineup. I don't know. I just don't want DAYS gone altogether, and I DON'T want it at ABC where Frons can wreak all sorts of havoc on it.

• Members

I agree. Again, thought, if Frons wants Days as much as he clearly does, he will do what it takes to get it. I do think he will have alot of say in things but I don't think Corday will be pushed out completely. We know Frons worked for NBC before way back when so he knows Days and I think he knows what makes it what it is. I worry about Days under him but part of me also think it may not be as bad overthere as we all thing. That is probably optimism talking but we never know. We really can't go on history because a soap with popularity like Days has never moved before so who knows. CBS would be ideal but if ABC is the only option then I guess go for it. Hell, you never know. It may not be that bad. I just hate that Days moving will cost us a soap or cost two soaps to be cut down.

• Members

Is anyone besides me just sad that Days (as we know it) is done in 2009?

No matter where it goes afterwards, be it ABC, CBS or SoapNet, the show AS WE KNOW IT is finished. The show might still have the same title, but ultimately, it will be a much different show.

Archived