DAYS: "Unlikely to continue past 2009..."

• Members

No show performs as well as it did ten, fifteen years ago. That's in primetime as well. There are too many extra channels, production costs are skyrocketing and they're paying out more money for less revenue generated in ads due to less viewers. That's why shows like Laguna Beach have been so successful for MTV. They cost a fraction of a scripted drama and they get decent ratings and are very profitable.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm not surprised, but this is going to be a huge heartbreak when and if it happens.

I really don't want DAYS to go to CBS or ABC...none of those soaps should be canceled to make room for DAYS and that would make a lot of people resentful.

The show better pull out all the stops for the final episode.

• Members

At least it appears DAYS is going to go out in fine form.... that show is amazing right now!

The same can't be said for All My Children which at this point I don't think will last until 2009. Especially with the news today :(

• Members

NOOOOOOO..YOU B*STARDS!!!!

Eric Cartman says it best1

Seriously, after YEARS of disappointing SLs, Days is rocking, then we get this news. Worse, motherZucker digs its whole in the soap graveyard by saying such a crack-*ss statement like that?????

Well, I'm just hoping that it either gets picked up at CBS (my NEW FAVE NETWORK) even ABC, but I wouldnt mind SoapNet. Actually I think it would be cool if it was on SoapNet because then it would be repeated lots of times, ratings would not be a problem because it would automatically be the highest rated program on that Network and maybe it would send cable companies a message that they need to carry SoapNet. I know that some don't carry it (that's why I switched to Dish). To our fellow Canadians-hopefully it would be on SoapNet.com.

Liz

• Members

I can't say I am too shocked either, but disappointed, yes. I am glad we have until 2009 though!

Daytime is unfortunately dying because there is not a whole lot of money in the business nowadays. And it sucks, but it's the world we're living in. I am just glad DAYS got extended in May!

• Members

Okay, let's look at this.

We had the passing of Darlene Conley.

'Passions' has been cancelled.

News reports have leaked that ABC is seeking to cancel one of its own soaps to expand 'Good Morning America.'

Jeff Zucker announced that 'Days' will likely be cancelled in 2009.

And finally, it's announced that 'All My Children' has fired Cady McClain.

I think that in the future, this entire week should be referred to as...

"The Black Week"

• Members

I'm not say "give up", I am just saying "enjoy it while it lasts".

While I did say there is no audience for daytime dramas, I didn't mean there isn't fans of them, cause I know there are TONS of people who watch the show and are not counted for.

I also know that tons cannot watch the show, but also putting soaps on in primetime is NOT going to work. It would certainly be nice, but it won't work.

I don't know, Im not giving up, im going to enjoy DAYS until it goes off the air, but I am also not going into this with blinders on, and im certainly not going to get my hopes up waiting for a miracle that is never going to happen.

Unless something drastic is done, like say a new ratings system is started or something, one that monitors every single tv in the nation or pretty damn close or unless DAYS can start to get Y&R/B&B type numbers and keep them for the next few years, I would say it is very likely they will be cut from the NBC lineup.

Its sad, but its true. I am hoping for the best for DAYS and I will continually hope for better ratings, ratings the show totally deserves!

Archived