DAYS: "Unlikely to continue past 2009..."

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

DrewH, I agree with you on Days going to CBS. I would LOVE it there and it's way better than it ending for good, but I'm not sure if people would know to follow it there. I still think ratings would be lost, but not as much as ABC. I don't want Days to go to ABC as long as Frons is there though, because I don't even think Hogan would get to stay with the show, and Frons would take over from Corday and hire a horrible writer that he can control.

• Members

If anything, if both ATWT and GL go, I can totally see CBS expanding B&B to an hour. It's been long rumored that CBS has been wanting to do that for a long time. If that's the cast, I bet they'd be less willing to pick up Days, which would be another unsure investment. However, with Sony's Y&R tie-in to CBS, Days on that network seems more logical than Days on ABC.

• Members

I doubt B&B will go to an hour especially given the current daytime climate. It works well as a half hour soap and in order for it to work in an hour format they would have to bring in more characters, which we know is not B&B's strength. To be honest I'd be quite happy if all soaps on the air were cut back to half an hour. The quality would increase and probably so would the ratings; as people would be more likely to sit down and give up half an hour of their life rather than an hour when they've got things to do during the day. Look at British and Australian soaps that air in half hour formats and work really well. US Soaps could totally do the same and I would gladly take 8 or 9 half hour soaps rather than 4 or 5 hour longs.

• Members

I don't mind B&B being an half hour show. It works really well that way. imo And I wouldn't mind if they (who ever that might be) cut DAYS down to that either... as long as it's still on air. If they cut the other soaps down to half an hour as well they would have room for their freakin news shows as well. Rather that then the possible option to have no soaps at all.

• Members

You're nuts. Days AND Y&R are the best shows on at the moment. I watch both. And if they both were on CBS, I'd be thrilled because then their times wouldn't conflict like they do now. And for God's sake! they are both so different. One show would never cancel the other out. Sony owns both and seems quite happy to keep them different in tone and style anyways.

• Members

From VARIETY:

NBC noted that "Passions" will likely continue through August. After that, Reilly said there's a possibility it could move to a cable net or online. Reilly blamed the daypart's declining fortunes for the cancellation of "Passions" (NBC has "Days of Our Lives" locked up through 2009). "The margins now are just brutal," he said. "Unfortunately, we need to make money on these. The economics just mandate that we do this."

-----------------------

NOTE: He said "we need to make money on THESE." More than one. So he's referring to Days as well. Then he goes on to say that "economics just mandate that we do this," with 'this' being cancellation.

Days is toast in 2009.

• Members

I think all Kenny means is that the DAYS as we know it are done. It might live on but it won't be the same. Same for Passions (whether the same means good or bad ... lol) and it's nice they are actually trying to give hope that Passions will continue even though it likely won't.

Archived