DAYS: "Unlikely to continue past 2009..."

• Members

USA Today Article

Daytime soap Passions has been canceled after an eight-year run to make room for a fourth hour of Today, which will air on all network affiliates, though only about half will initially air all of Today in a continuous block, says NBC Universal Television president Jeff Zucker. The worsening economics of daytime soaps led NBC to choose expanding Today. Passions will likely finish its run in August, but NBC is discussing continuing the soap on a cable network (such as SoapNet) or online. Zucker suggested that NBC's only other soap, Days of Our Lives, is unlikely to continue past 2009.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wow so DAYS is definitely done in 2009 . I hope it is not done before.

I don't have SoapNet, don't plan on getting it either so the prospect of having a regular "live" soap and not repeats of it won't be that great if not everyone has it. It sucks but it seems that even DAYS fate is sealed unless it is going somewhere else. DAYS should really just kick ass for the next 2 years knowing that it is done then...

• Members

I still say DAYS will be the last soap standing. IF NBC gives it the heave-ho in 2009, I'd put money on another network picking it up. Days of our Lives is THE flagship soap opera. There is no denying that.

Frankly, I think NBC should take a wait and see approach here. I honestly think that DAYS can thrive all by itself for a while. Post- AW/DAYS/SB, I honestly feel a large portion of the audience for the NBC Daytime serials has been mutually exclusive. So while Passions cancellation isn't exactly good news for 'DAYS', it's not necessarily all gloom & doom either. 'DAYS' ain't goin nowhere yet.

• Members

:(:(:( I am really sad, but I did expect this even before all the rumours about Passions cancellation started. I felt Hogan was brought in to wrap up stories and finish it on a high note.

I just hope it lasts until 2009. Still, this is terrible. I don't really see it lasting until then on a one soap line up.....I just hope Frons keeps his dirty paws off of it! :angry:

• Members

We know that ABC pretty much has a hardon for Days and will pick it up if the series is cancelled. Especially if Hogan is still at the helm and the show is still delivering great stories. ABC would probably see the show as it's Y&R, and would treat it as such. I dont see ABC getting rid of a soap though, unless AMC and OLTL are still in dire straits in 2009. Most likely AMC and OLTL would each go down to half an hour, or merge into one.

Archived