DAYS: "Unlikely to continue past 2009..."

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Can't say im shocked!!

I have been preparing for this news for years now...I always had a feeling 2009 would be DAYS' final year. With the near cancellation of DAYS in 2003 and again during the option re-negotiation in 2005, it just seemed likely that DAYS would not make it past the end of their 2009 contract.

That being said, we should be grateful that we have 2-3 more years of DAYS, rather than say 2-3 months of DAYS left.

Also who knows what could happen, Jeff Zuker said "unlikely" he didn't say FOR SURE or anything like that. Plus who is to say Jeff Zuker will be around in 2009, NBC is in SHAMBLES financially, someone's head is going to roll soon for the current mess.

I wonder how SOD, DAYS TPTB and such will address this statement from Zuker, you can GURANTEE that Ken Corday and Sony bosses will be PISSED with this.

At least this gives Corday and Sony time to build a deal with CBS or ABC to move the show there.

• Members

Meh...I would still follow it to ABC.

You know what people, we just need to face this head on. Who is to say there will even be a place for DAYS at CBS or ABC in 2009. Who knows, perhaps ABC will be down to GH and CBS down to B&B/Y&R at that time.

Network Soap Opera are dying, I don't think there is anything we can do to reverse this...there will come a day when there will no longer be soap opera on the big three networks, its going to happen soon.

We have seen the writing on the wall for 15 years now....there is just no more audience for daytime dramas...a sad sad fact that we all have to live with.

I do NOT want DAYS to be gone, nor do I want to see ANY of the shows get cancelled, but they ALL will be gone in 5 years IMO and we should enjoy them the best we can TODAY before it's too late.

I am going to keep on watching and keep on enjoying until someone forces them off my tv screen.

• Members

If DAYS goes to another network, I will follow it and pledge my allegiance to that network forever. My daughter is laughing at me over all this and thinks I am an obsessed fool, but she doesn't understand what DAYS means to me. I watched it with my grandmother and my mother. I remember going to my aunt's house and she'd pull the drapes over the picture window and my cousins and I would sit with her and watch DAYS and AW. When I was in school and couldn't get home in time to watch, the first question out of my mouth when I saw my mom was "What happened on DAYS today?" I know these people and this town and their histories. When my children were babies, I structured their nap times around DOOL! Now, MAYBE my life could go on without it, but I really don't want to risk it! So I'm POSITIVE now that DAYS will go on because it's impossible to think otherwise. And I hope it survives in a way that preserves its rich history and families and all the things we love about it. Corday needs to prove himself now and fight like hell to save this soap.

• Members

See, this, I don't agree with. I disagree there "is just no more audience" for daytime dramas -- at least, if you're saying "daytime dramas" when you mean soap operas. I have long wondered why they haven't moved the soaps to later time slots. I much prefer watching my soaps in the evening. "Love in the afternoon?" Yeah, right!

The audience is THERE. They're just not home when the shows are on.

I'm convinced that these shows are hugely popular, but we'd never know the REAL viewership because Nielsen only counts "live" viewing, right? And maybe DVRs I think. But they only count what can be seen with commercials since that's why advertisers value the ratings: eyeballs on their ads.

It's crazy.

Millions more watch "Passions" than the what the ratings suggest, so whether it's "Passions" or "Days," the net is pissing off MILLIONS more people than they think.

• Members

Absolutely.

But even then, there are hundreds and hundreds of channels in this day and age. The pie is getting cut into smaller and smaller pieces, so even in primetime it wouldn't perform as well as it should. Otherwise, we'd be getting primetime specials all the time.

• Members

Well, I personally think there is nothing wrong with trying to buy our soaps as much more time as possible. I realize they won't be around forever, or even ten years from now. However, I'm not ready to just give up on them because of that fact. ESPECIALLY not DAYS. I will do whatever I can to fight for DAYS until it is officially off the air for good.

• Members

Oh. my. goodness. !!!!! WTF is happening? Do they want to give us all heartattacks at such young ages? This IS the most depressing week EVER in the history of soaps.

I feel so bad for Passions fans. Now, I'm feeling so bad for all of us fans. Days is so good now. I'm hating this Jeff Zucker guy. UGH. I don't see much hope for the rest of the soaps because they are all struggling not to drown. There is a silver lining for Days. Brian Frons wants it so badly. I have no idea why he's even interested in the first place, but hey, if Days can live on other network without changing its roots, I will follow and watch. It will never be the same though. NBC is its home network, right? I think if Days has to move somewhere else, it should go to CBS.

It's bad enough that we're not having a replacement soap opera to take over the short-lived Passions soap, but THIS? Good grief! Anyone remember the American Pie song? This time it's going to go "the year that soaps died". :(

Archived