DAYS: "Unlikely to continue past 2009..."

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

NBC is going to be lucky to still be a network by 2009 with all the wonderful programming decisions they are making. Their primetime lineup is 95% crap, they are completely giving up on afternoon programming, and the entire morning will be the "Today" show, which is FALLING in the ratings.

This is the wonderful programming we will be subjected to--according to a story from Reuters I read this morning, NBC Universal is producing a new talk show starring the bouncer guy from Jerry Springer! Can you BELIEVE that??????

• Members

I'm not too worried about Days..how many times have cancellation rumors come up over the past few years..and Days always gets renewed...Also 2009 is 2 years away, thats along time for people to change their mind...Hogan has turned the show around, and the ratings are more solid now...Plus i have a feeling he will do some amazing things this year, providing even higher ratings..And in two years, online viewing could be an even bigger thing...My computer has a 17 inch screen, shows look pretty good on it...If Days does indeed get cancelled, another network will pick it...

• Members

We've known that this was coming for years now. It's a miracle that Days wasn't cancelled last year during negotiations!

The networks -- especially NBC -- have been looking to get out of the soap opera business for years now. From a business point of view, I undersand it. But from a viewer's point of view, I'm FURIOUS. There's more to success than just numbers. There's also viewer loyalty, trust... and NBC is trashing it all.

Now that the initial steps have been taken to end the daytime genre, it's all going to fall apart from here. The networks were too afraid to get rid of a genre that has been around for decades and decades, even if it's not performing as well as it used to. And they've just been waiting for someone to take that first step, to take the risk. Now that the ice has been broken, everything is just going to chip away and fall apart, disentigrate until daytime is done.

Three years from now, the only soaps on the air might be Y&R and B&B. And maybe GH.

• Members

I have a probably unlikely, but absolutely best possible situation:

CBS Daytime cancels The Price is Right due to declining ratings after the retirement of Bob Barker. Passions is picked up by CBS in hopes that it will change the view that CBS soaps are for old people. Meanwhile, Hogan wins all kinds of Emmys for Days, convincing NBC to continue with it past 2009. Everyone is happy!

• Members

As hard as this is to say....if DAYS is cancelled by NBC in 2009, I hope it ends there. I'd rather have DAYS go out doing great with Hogan at the helm and with okay ratings than wait til it goes through another poor period creatively and sinks to the bottom of the ratings. Yeah, you can always give it another chance on another network, but unless that network is CBS, I don't want DAYS anywhere. I could see it going to CBS as a half hour soap, but other than that I would just want it cancelled altogether if NBC doesnt want it.

If these are the last 2 years of DAYS, I'm planning on enjoying them thoroughly. As much as we b!tch and complain about things, and probably still will about some things in the next 2 years, I'd rather have some crappy stories than no show at all. So I'll make the most while it's still here.

• Members

Why does everyone keep saying that 2009 is two years away, and anything could happen between now and then to save the show?

Seriously. Think about it. Look back two years.. where were the ratings? Higher than they are now!

Two years before that? Two times higher than they are now!

The ratings have been on a steady decline for every single soap over the past entire decade. Two years from now, Days will not have a sudden ratings explosion. Two years from now, the trend will continue, and the ratings will be even LOWER than they are today. The social climate for high ratings is just not there anymore... no matter how fantastic a show is.

Yes, two years is still a while away. Which means that the show has a long way to fall... and it WILL.

I love my show, but I'm just being realistic. I think that everyone else should, too.

Days is a dead soap walking.

• Members

NOOOOOO!!!! This is the worst news I have ever recieved regarding entertainment in general. For all those thinking "it's just a rumor", think again. NBC Daytime is simply ready to get out of the soaps business. It's just that simple. I can't believe Zucker would cancel this show just when it seems poised for a resurgance!

Now, what will become of Daytimes most talked about soap? I mean, Y&R is highest rated, GH is most honored, and Days is the most talked about soap. This show is almost like a symbol of Daytime drama. I think another network will make a bid. I'd almost bet on it. Funny how ABC Daytime is talking about canceling one of it's shows....

The problem is, Days would not be the same on ABC. It would turn ultratrendy and down right boring. I would LOVE for CBS to pick it up, but doubt that they would. They would offer Days some autonomy, whereas ABC would shove ideas down Hogans throat.

This is a bad day.

• Members

Not sure about others, but I wasn't meaning that DAYS' ratings wont fall further. They definitely will....but they'll be falling with the ratings of every other soap as well. So I'd rather see DAYS keep 3rd or 4th in the ratings (where it's at now) over the next two years and then be cancelled, instead of letting the show fall to 7th or 8th and then gettin rid of it.

Archived