DAYS: "Unlikely to continue past 2009..."

• Members

Many people recognize Kim Zimmer/Reva of GL, as well as Susan Lucci, and some of the others mentioned. Sometimes the big names become an albatross. They eat up a lot of the salaries for one thing. I don't know, but it doesn't make any sense to me that a show will stay on the air because of an actor.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think GL and ATWT are pop culture icons simply because they've been around so long. They might not be so popular now among actual soap fans, but outside of soaps, people recognize their titles. Might not be able to name specific characters and storylines, etc, but their titles are iconic. Soap parodies are gonna almost always be named after AMC, Y&R, or ATWT.

Really, all soaps have something that makes them popular outside of the genre. ATWT and GL, for their sheer longevity. GH of course for Luke and Laura. Y&R for Victor and Nikki, AMC for Erica, B&B for it's focus on fashion, DAYS for the hourglass and supercouples, PSNS for the simple fact that it's new and so bizarre. Even OLTL, which I've always thought of as "the forgotten soap," has the whole Karen Wolek thing from the 70s.

• Members

Yeah JER will probably avoid the issue.

He did a Passions preview in June in TV Guide and didn't mention anything about being fired from Days so I don't expect anything but him hyping the end and what is coming, if we get anything at all.

I am very interested in his honest reactions to what has happened to him in the past year but, unless we were flies on the wall, we will never know. I don't think he gives a damn about Passions since he got fired from days. That much has shwoed in the last few months of stuff he has wrote.

Kevin Reilly has been an advocate for keeping Days around. I remember at the 40th anniversary party he said he was going to work with Corday and Sony on keeping the franchise alive and also making it better financially for everyone. I think they thought Hogan would make a bigger impact on the numbers right away. The impact is just starting to be felt now so, hopefully, affiliates don't start dropping Days with all this news coming out and, hopefully, fans invest and maybe we can get these ratings up so NBC considers keeping it or, at the very least, we make it so that another network will definitely want it.

• Members

When Days is done, here's how it should go.

The final scene should definitely be in the Horton living room, filled with the whole cast. All the Bradys and all the Hortons... maybe they're having a party or something. Maybe a big wedding reception, who knows. Anyway, the room should be filled with all the Bradys and Hortons (and others), and as with any soap finale, they should bring back beloved fan favorites from the past to partake in the farewell.

Then we should fade up to Alice's bedroom (Frances Reid might not still be with us, sadly) as we see a picture of Tom and Alice on the nightstand with an hourglass beside it... as the final grains of sand run through. Then, fade to black... the end.

Damn, I wish I could write it!

• Members

It's funny you should say that about JER, Phoenix, because I don't think it's TOO far out of the realm of possibility -- the chance that he'll talk.

I DISTINCTLY remember -- from back when I was obsessed with "Passions" in 1999, 2000 and 2001, when I literally bought every issue of TV Guide and collected soap clippings with "Passions" articles, lol -- JER mentioning something about how he would accept the time he burns out, to be shipped off to an island with all past soap hacks. I may still have the article, circa 2000, in my "big box o' 'PASSIONS' " but I'll have to search for that tomorrow.

• Members

That seems an incredibly dumb statement for Zucker to make. Either NBC want to save DAYS or they don't. If they do, why make a statement that encourages viewers to dis-invest in the show? If they don't, why keep it on the air for the next two years? I fail to see the logic.

Also, why mention the internet option for Passions and not for DAYS? I think DAYS as an internet soap has huge potential. If they could get just 500,000 viewers to pay $1 per episode, that would generate revenue of $125 million...above the current license fee. There is a substantial presence of DAYS fans on the web so I think it's achievable. I know SONY tried to stream shows online a few years ago and then dropped it, but it would be different if the show isn't on a regular network. They could also use the web to tap into the foreign market. DAYS is popular in Australia, South Africa and several European countries. There's also the fact that DAYS is the most searched-for television show on YAHOO...that alone would give it appeal to advertisers.

Ugh...I hate NBC. :angry:

• Members

There is no logic to it, Ponz.

The reason why they are willing to give Passions more options is because it's cheaper to produce and NBC owns it. They loved Days when it was raking in the dough but now that it's lost so much viewership like other soaps they could care less. It's the old "what have you one for me me lately" principle. I'm not even sure if they would keep it if Days' ratings improved. Zucker's statement reaked off "we are sick of having you here and paying to have you here so we are letting you know that your time is running out." It's sabotoge IMO. They no longer even care in a way if Days does well. They no longer want any soap there. I think their plan was if Hogan made a huge impact right away they would consider keeping it but I think NBC has now already chose to get out of the soap genre for good now, regardless of what happens. That statement was completely insensitive and stupid. Now affiliates can drop it and new fans won't check it out. It will be hard to bring anyone back to the show now. At least Kevin Reilly didn't condemn it. Zucker's plan is clear in my mind-sabotoge it to make sure it doesn't reach better ratings and screw up my plans.

As I said in my last post, Kevin Reilly has supported Days. He weas at the 40th anniversary party and was committed to working with Sony and Corday on keeping the show alive. Zucker doesn't give a rat's ass and is already planning what to put on in it's place.

Seriously, I am glad that Zucker said that in a way because it gives fans time to bash the hell out of NBC and it gives days and Corday time to work through the process of a new home. I think Corday is so pissed he is probably already looking into it and I don't blame him. it's clear NBC no longer welcomes Days and you don't stay where you aren't welcome.

Archived