2007: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Nah.

He really is one of the best. That's why he has that reputation for 20+ years now. SB fans loved him. GL fans loved him. GH fans loved him.

The thing with B&B is that they don't really have any interesting characters that Patrick can sink his teeth into. He had Mason at SB, Roger at GL, Carly/Stefan/The Q's at GH.

I would love see him him write dialogue for the Dimeras. :)

I knew I had it saved somewhere. LOL

• Members

We've read it from a hundred different sources, on a thousand different message boards, and it's always the same. It's the networks and production companies, not the writers. I've also heard that the reason why they never mention family connections who have left the show in the past at weddings/funerals/etc. is because they believe the audience isn't smart enough to understand that just because someone is mentioned doesn't mean they're not coming back to the show.

Seriously... if any petitions or protests should be started, how about one protesting how the networks think none of us have any kind of literary background. We should send the networks thesauruses or something... just to prove that we are intelligent, well-read, capable of debating shades of gray, and are aware of the world spinning around us.

Soaps should be thought-provoking, provocative, human and heartfelt. And many of these writers are unbelievably talented and being shackled to a desk, told to spell everything out to an audience that is perfectly capable of watching a simple dinner scene on a show like Six Feet Under or a movie like In the Bedroom, and can still feel the subtext of about four different subplots in a simple line of dialogue about passing the string beans. Because we know these characters. We get them. And we love them. Nobody's asking to be talked down to, or for it to be hammered in.

• Members

^Interesting, I didn't know Wendy Riche was that much of a control freak who wanted the dialogue to be "dumbed down." I'd expect crap like that from JFP, but Patrick worked for her at both SB and GL.

Karen Harris should be a head writer, I've always said that. She's wasted as a script writer and her tenure as head writer on GH, with Culliton, proved that she is more than qualified for the job.

• Members

Wow thanks for that article Toups. It goes to show everything that is wrong with daytime. You have an increasingly educated audience crying out for quality drama. Yet while HBO and network primetime are taking more risks than ever before, daytime's gone completely in the opposite direction.

Interesting what you say about there not being interesting characters on B&B for him to get his teeth into and I guess it's partly true -- he is fantastic with Eric and Stephanie. There was one scene when the heart attack had been revealed and Eric went back to the mansion to find Stephanie hashing over old memories which descended into a fierce argument. And he nailed it. Despite being a new writer, that set of scenes told us more about the nature of their relationship than any other in at least 15 years.

• Members

MADD? She used to run ABC daytime. Things started to fall apart under her. Then they hit rock bottom under Angela Shapiro when she brought Guza & Pratt back to wreck GH.

I wasn't terribly impressed with Wendy Riche's run on GH. It was all about a bunch of dull teens acting silly. Of course even that is to be preferred to mob central General Violence Mayhem & Women-Hating. Not to forget a show about many rapes.

• Members

You have an increasingly educated audience crying out for quality drama""

I do think different people in the audience want different things. I certainly want quality. I want intelligent. But I also like good mystery-adventure and well written supernatural stuff as in Dark Shadows. And NOT as in Port Charles the arcs.

But you also have people who want half naked kids romping around and saying the same thing over & over or else so many years of Days and some of Passions would never have been aired.

There are people who enjoyed Melrose Place and other silly shows.

What I can't explain is what that idiotic trash GH has become has persisted so long or why AMC has been allowed to be so nasty & stupid for several years as well as the nasty violent mess OLTL degenerated into some time ago.

All that said Passions went out with a bang. I didn't see anything last week because my local channel dropped it for some syndicated talk show. But the recent Norma-Edna-Tabitha stuff has been as good as any of the early Tabitha-Timmy stuff and often even more witty & cheeky.

• Members

Oh I think there should be more diversity in daytime too and I loved Melrose Place. Trash is good and dialogue doesn't need to be "intelligent" but it should reflect the characters. MP and all those other great trashy shows had punchy, pointed dialogue. Shows like Passions and most of daytime don't. Any line of dialogue could be given to almost any character and that is the foundation of bad TV writing.

• Members

MP and all those other great trashy shows had punchy, pointed dialogue. Shows like Passions and most of daytime don't. Any line of dialogue could be given to almost any character and that is the foundation of bad TV writing.""

That's not the way I saw things.

I could take some of Melrose Place but generally thought the writing including the dialogue was pretty bad. Early MP seems to be better than later and anything at any time seems better than that horrible but extremely well cast spinoff Models, Inc. (I would LOVE to get that on dvd however along with Titans and Central Park West. Titans was an atrocity, writing-wise, but also had an excellent cast.)

Passions is another story. But a complex one at that.

It wasn't the dialogue on Passions which drove me crazy. I liked the supernatural material. It was usually campy & fun.

I didn't like the repetitive nature of most of the romantic stuff.

I hated the endless nature of the cycle of stories. Nothing ever ended and almost all of the big surprise secrets were extremely predictable.

But what really drove me crazy was the darkness which started to permeate the show a few years ago (well into the run of the show.) It was nasty, repulsive at times, and seemingly obsessed with rapes & harming women in various ways.

• Members

I did like some trashy shows but I'm at a loss to come up with any great examples.

Footballer's Wives probably would count although it started to wear down well before the end. It's better than American shows.

Dynasty didn't wear well though I did like it when it was on. It really comes off poorly now especially the sets. The writing doesn't come off terribly well now either.

I thought the British Queer as Folk was great but not necessarily terribly trashy (however at the time it seemed to many that it was trashy.) But it had some meaningful content there. The US show sort of veered off into new & different territory which wasn't always that great. It was kind of trashy, certainly more than the original, but I don't know what I'd say about the writing. It wasn't awful. It wasn't great. Nor was it anywhere near as great as the original British show.

The new UK show Hotel Babylon is somewhere in the middle too. It's trashy, sometimes more intelligent than other times, but seems to have wildly erratic writing. Sometimes it seems like complete trash but other times it's fascinating. Not really an example of a great show, though, & certainly not in the same league as some other great British shows. But a great deal better than some other British shows which lack quality such as the interesting in a trashy way but awful show Mile High.

I suppose I'd classify Brothers & Sisters as a trashy show but it's better written than most of what I'd call trashy. And it does have some intelligent content so it probably doesn't count.

Archived