Best and Worst Moments in Soaps this year

• Members

Okay..so I'm taking part in a group commentary about the best and worst moments in entertainment this past year. I couldn't think of anything Hollywood that deserved to be in any list (and frankly, Hollywood gossip bores me for the most part..I mean, everyone knows about TomKat's wedding) :rolleyes: , so I'm thinking of choosing moments from daytime. Right now, Emmy moments come to mind.

Best:

- GL wins 4 actor awards at the Daytime Emmys

- Tony Geary says he loves Amsterdam because no one there knows who he is

- Camera shot of dude who plays Nikolas on GH (name escapes me at the moment) looking pissed when he doesn't win supporting actor

Worst:

- GH wins outstanding drama series at the Emmys with JPP giving a smug speech

- GL's Reva dies of cancer and loves brings her back

So what do you guys think are the best and worst moments from soaps this year?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Worst: The first legal abortion in Daytime Television show's up in Pine Valley as a hunky, jack of all trades, misunderstood, angelic, perfect guy, who just happened to be Erica Kane and Jeff Martin's "miracle" fetus. AMC should be utterly ashamed of themselves. I know that I am. :angry:

• Members

I agree with this post and believe what is happening now is a disturbing and annoying trend. It is definitely the worst of 2005.

Best right now is the decision by DOOL to try to return to its status as a great soap. We'll see what happens, but I think DOOL is doing some very good things right now.

• Members

Reva's cancer s/l was such a disappointment to me. As someone who has lost a lot of family members to cancer, I found it insulting that they dragged out the whole revelation to Josh for months. Towards the end, it was just getting pathetic b/c everyone in Springfield, aside from her own husband, knew that Reva had cancer?? That's just stupid!

Then, they also had her refusing to go on chemo, and then to even take care of herself. IRL, Reva would have died. The storyline showed that people could defy medicine and doctors, which is totally unbelievable. It's a shame b/c this s/l had a lot of potential. Initially, I applauded the show for taking a different approach, but after a while, the antics got to be too much. When the BS continued for months, enough was enough. After a while, I just wanted Reva to die!

• Members

Best:

Days fires JER even though I liked him he needed to go.

ATWT centers one day around the vet ladies!!!!! (see worst also)

GL's cast is rewarded with Emmy wins.

Laura's return to GH (even though it did have a few problems)

Jennifer's death on ATWT (some great acting and storytelling)

Zach's death on Days because of the performances

the Arrival of EJ on Days (breathed new life into the show)

Worst:

ATWT centers one day around the vet ladies!!!!!

Stefano DiMera is revived from the dead once again on Days - bad news and this was terribly done when Joe Mascolo couldn't be lured back

the Undoing of Erica's abortion

Zach's death on Days because it evolved into Bo/Bille/Hope/Patrick/Chelsea

GH beats Y&R for the Emmy (this year GH deserves it but last year they did not)

The attempt at redeeming Jonathan Lavery on AMC

[s.W.S.N.B.N.] (sorry but her tenure at DAys this summer did nothing for me)

• Members

Best

AMC-Zach & Kendall, thanks to Thorsten Kaye and Alicia Minshew's amazing chemistry, remain strong even when the writers tried twice this year to ruin them :P^_^

PSNS-Luis gives up on Sheridan and finds love with Fancy

For DAYS fans-their show turns around! Yay Days fans! :)

Worst

AMC-Erica's unabortion

PSNS-Sheridan turns into a pathetic beeotch

• Members

BEST:

As The World Turns: "Vets on a Bus" episode. Sorry, but I loved every minute of it.

Young & the Restless: Sharon Case gives the year's most provocative performance when confronting Nicholas about the affair sporting the very lingerie he'd bought for his mistress. This has been Sharon's year IMO.

Guiding Light: Gina Tognoni wins a long overdue Daytime Emmy

As The World Turns: Jack & Carly's breakup scenes, the first time around. Raw, gutsy performances & honest writing. Loved it.

Days of our Lives: Hogan Sheffer IN! JER OUT!

Days of our Lives: James Scott gives a breakthrough performance as EJ Wells, almost instantly clicking with DAYS fans to the same degree he didn't click on 'AMC'

Days of our Lives: Kristian Alfonso and especially Peter Reckell give the performances of their careers, aided by a stellar supporting turn from Julie Pinson.

All My Children: Jacob Young continues doing the best work of his career

Passions: JER's most inspired idea yet- Adrian Bellani in baseball pants and no shirt!!!! Seriously, has JER ever even played baseball? Because noone in their right mind would play without a shirt. :lol:

General Hospital: Genie Francis returns! Finola Hughes returns! Emma Samms returns! Tristian Rogers returns!

WORST:

All My Children: Julie Hanan Carruthers and Megan McTavish give fans what will undoubtedly go down as the worst year in AMC's 36 year history, with viewers leaving in droves.

All My Children: A casting call is put out for a living fetus.

All My Children: Julia Barr is not used for an entire year, offerred recurring status, declines, and disappears with not so much as a sendoff or even a cake, after a 30 year relationship with the series.

All My Children: Jill Larson is fired!

All My Children: Vincent Irizarry is fired!

All My Children: Jonathan, the murderer and woman beater with a brain tumor, is paired romantically with Lily, a 15 year old autistic girl

.All My Children: Colby Chandler, daughter of the legendary Adam Chandler & the equally legendary Liza Colby, is introduced as the most vacuous, insipid, spoiled, unlikable offspring in the history of Pine Valley and perhaps all of daytime.

Days of our Lives: Mimi says that she's going to tell Shawn the truth about Claire every day for 9 months, only to have him find out by 'accident'

Days of our Lives: Jack dies AGAIN!

Bold & the Beautiful: Anything involving Brooke/Nick/Bridget was coma-inducing.

Bold & the Beautiful: Brad Bell hires Antonio Sabato Jr & Mario Lopez, then has no idea what to do with them.

One Life To Live: Hilary B Smith is in a coma for most of the year while stories about nonentities like Paige are front and center throughout the year. There is nobody to root for on that show. I guess Evangeline, but I just don't get the hoopla over her in the first place. Life sucks right now because when ATWT got bad I could always switch to OLTL and vice versa. Right now, they both suck major donkey balls.

As The World Turns: The Slasher Storyline. Wake me when it's over & they've completely ruined Maddie.

General Hospital: TPTB make it painfully obvious that fan faves are only being trotted out as sweeps stunts and will have no long-term impact in the story.

Guiding Light: Reva has breast cancer and it's handled horribly from there. Kim Zimmer was magnificent but what a horrible story- as an actor, I'm actually offended in a way that Zimmer agreed to do some of this stuff.

The Young and the Restless: Lynn Marie Latham, in short order, revitalizes Y&R, but ends up completely stripping it of its identity. For the first time in my 14 years of viewership, I don't feel that the show is above & beyond the rest. It's a sad, sad day.

As The World Turns: The neverending Craig/Emily/Paul/Meg/Dusty vacuum. I actually used to find Craig, Emily, and Meg interesting. Though I still want to like Meg, the longer she remains in the orbit of the others, the less I find her credible. The feisty spitfire we all know would have ditched that pack of scoundrels long ago.

• Members

ATWT

Best

Luke's coming out

Jennifer's death

The sitcom ep - particularly the Munsonsters

Having Emily pregnant with Paul's baby

CarJack's break up scenes - FAB

Worst

Killing Paul and Emily's baby

Really, all the death. Obviously due to a real life tragedy, Hal's death is the exception in that that had to happen on the show, but between Jennifer, baby Jennifer, and all the teens in the slasher story, it was a very dark summer / fall in Oakdale

Simon's return - it just seems like they threw it together, and while PL is hot, it's just not enough.

• Members

Best:

ATWT's Luke comes out that he is Gay

Y&R replaces Kay Alden and Jack Smith as head writers with LML

B&B: Tells Stephanie's back history

Worst:

ATWT drops Luke's storyline for most of the year, and also starts focusing on only 3 boring storylines for months on end

Y&R: Changes Brad's history and we end up with the most boring storyline in all of daytime history

B&B Ridge and Brooke get together for the millionth time

Archived