Days: Friday, December 29th

• Members

But he never threatened to hurt or kill her if she didn't have sex with him, and he didn't physically overpower her. As a feminist, I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I don't feel what EJ did to Sami is technically rape. That is, I don't believe it could be prosecuted as such.

That doesn't mean it wasn't despicable. Or that Sami doesn't feel violated. But the fact remains to me that she had a choice. An untenable choice, but a choice. He never once threatened (or implied, if I remember correctly) that he would hurt her if she didn't sleep with him. He just said he wouldn't help Lucas if she didn't.

It was coersion and it was horrible and it was wrong and they should never, ever, ever consider a romantic pairing between the two of them now, but I don't think it was rape.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

But EJ was not threatening Sami's life if she didn't have sex with him. He only said that he wouldn't help Lucas. EJ would not kill Sami. He needs her. Sami could have chosen not to have sex with EJ. Lucas probably would have died, but she had the decision. She chose to bed EJ and you can't rape the willing. Was what EJ did sadistic? Yes. Was it rape? No.

You talk about how Sami looked disgusted and didn't want to have sex with him. I'm sure Anna Nicole Smith didn't want to have sex with that old man, but she did it. Did that 89 year old man rape Anna? No. You cannot rape someone who is willing to have sex with you.

• Members

Oh man, people on other boards are absolutely FURIOUS over EJ/Sami today. This has got people talking all over the place. Was it rape, wasn't it rape?

I've read a few posts on other boards where people think Hogan Sheffer is the Satan himself, the worst writer in history, just because of this story twist. I love it! He's making viewers feel something. Love or hate for a character... anguish, wanting to cry, wanting to jump up and down with happiness... whatever it is, at least you FEEL something. That's the point. To make a viewer care. Viewers have been bored and complacent for far too long. Hogan is making people get emotionally involved, making people care. It's what JER used to do so well ("I want viewers throwing their sandwiches at the television screen!"), and what Hogan does so well right now.

So, viewers are furious with Hogan Sheffer over this EJ/Sami story twist -- but not because they're bored, and that's key. They're riveted. But they're furious. And they're WATCHING.

Kudos to Hogan!!

This also sets up so much amazing story for the future. Can you imagine if Sami gets pregnant with EJ's baby? A DiMera baby, being carried by a Brady. EJ would do anything to make sure that the Brady child was taken from them and raised with his family's influence. Taking a newborn Brady and turning him/her against its own family, choosing the DiMera way of life... I think EJ will hold Sami captive until she gives birth so he can take the child and hide him away forever before finally letting her go free.

So many possibilities!

• Members

I found it interesting that Sami didn't break down into victim mode. You could tell she was being tormented inside, but she didn't crack. She remained strong, even after it was over. EJ took her body, but he didn't take her. He didn't take her spirit. Even when he told her that it would be the last thing she'd ever do if she raised a hand to him again, she didn't back down. She told him straight off where to go and in what handbasket to go in.

Ali Sweeney and James Scott were magnificent today. I love it when Ali comes so alive on days like this. Crying, but not sniveling. Strong, but not overbearing. I loved it.

And James Scott plays "bastard" SO, so, soooo well.

• Members

Okay, here's a situation for you.

You and your child are kidnapped by someone who has been after you for awhile. He has one of his thugs hold a gun to your kid's head. He takes you into another room and gives you the "choice" to have sex with him or if you refuse he will order his guy to kill your child.

Is that not rape? To "choose" not to let someone you love die is NOT a choice. You do it. You do whatever you must. But you, IN NO WAY, choose for that to happen to you.

If that was my son, I'd do it with bells on and a big smile on my face if that's what it took for my son to live. Does that mean I'm willing? (sorry to be so crude, but I am trying to make a point)

• Members

But you're describing a different situation. If EJ had kidnapped Sami and Lucas and had a thug holding a gun to Lucas's head and told Sami he would pull the trigger unless she had sex with him, then I would label that rape.

That's not what's happened here. EJ is refusing to offer assistance to Sami and his assistance might save Lucas's life. He's not holding a gun to her head or to Lucas's. We never heard what EJ would do if Sami said no. It's possible she had other options, none of them good ones, but other options: trying again to free Lucas on her own, trying to find someone else to help, etc. We just don't know.

But as someone on another board just said, why do we have to label it. It was a horrible thing EJ did, no matter what we call it.

• Members

I don't see how it is different at all. In one situation, you have sex with someone or someone else, who you love, dies. In the other, you have sex with someone or someone else, who you love, dies. Take out the specifics of the situations and they are essentially the same.

And we label it because this is a discussion board and we can.

• Members

I like how it wasn't made clear whether it was rape or not. It gets people talking. Personally, it depends on the viewers. This reminded me alot of Jennifer/Colin but that played out a bit differently. I thought that was rape. We know Sami did it to save Lucas. That is why she agreed to it. EJ didn't wave the gun at her during the exchange. However, EJ did take advantage of the situation. Now we don't know what he would've did if she said no. If she said no, I think he would've forced her because he wanted to plant the seed.

Based on what actually happened, I think he forced her to have sex with him by not giving her a choice. In a sense, it was rape but it wasn't cut and dry rape. It sounds weird saying that but that is the way I saw it. I do think he would have straight out raped her if she didn't agree to his demands. It's a hot topic though and I just hope it don't backfire. Some people are other boards are threatening not to watch but who knows if they will actually do that. I hope not. I actually liked how they did it in that it wasn't clear either way and Ail and James were amazing.

• Members

I don't think anyone's going to change their innitial minds. It's based on the viewer's opinion. I think it's not rape. Some of you seem to disagree. We can fight for hours, but are you going to change your minds? No. Am I? Hell no! :lol:

Archived