Title Help

Bright Eyes

• Members

Hey SON'ers. I need your help. I am in grade 12 and for my english CPT that is due in january i have decuded to write a soap opera. Now what i want form you guys is help in creating a title. Everything else i can do mostly on my own, but a title for my soap opera is very hard for me to come up with. Right now I'm working with the title As the Sun Sets

If you guys can come up with a better title or even think of anything that could be a title for a soap please post it in this thread

Thx in advance.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, As the Sun Sets was the name of the soap in SOAP DISH which was a spoof to soaps, so I would stay away from that because it implies a sense of non taking it seriously.

Tell us more about your soap. What is it about in very broad, general terms?

• Members

I agree with King here, I would stay away from that as your title for the same reasons. But you could keep it as your working title. Whenever I write, the title is almost the last thing I come up with. After I come up with the outline of the story, I come up with the title. Let us know what it is about

• Members

My recommendations?!(And this is just trends I've noticed in soap opera titles)...

-Daytime Soaps With One Word Titles have never achieved great success and have often met cancellation.(i.e. LOVING, SOMERSET, GENERATIONS, CAPITOL, PASSIONS)

-Daytime Soaps With The Name Of the Town or Specific Place Setting have never been widely successful and have met cancellation as well.(i.e. PORT CHARLES, SANTA BARBARA, SUNSET BEACH, SOMERSET, TEXAS)

-My suggestion for coming up with the perfect title for ANYTHING, especially a soap opera, is to look at the premise of the story, the main characters, what it all revolves around, etc. And check to make sure it isn't the title of a famous book or something. LOL. And keep the title from being as cliche as possible.

These are all suggestions on the coming up with the perfect title for your show. Good luck!

• Members

I disagree with the city-named soap thing. While they may have met cancellation (you also need to remember most of them were on cancel happy NBC), they atleast had titles that sounded fresh and meaningful.

As the Sun Sets, and any other titles sounding like that or those of existing soap titles will come off as sounding like a parody.

• Members

well it's still in the beginning stages, since it's not due till january, procrastination people lol

n e wayz, it is definately not familyish. it is going to focus on this newlywed named erica who gets married to a guy named lance lol. what she doesn't know is that marrying this guy will end up bringing her lots of pian and sorrow. i will also wriote about the charcters around her, like her sister and co-workers and such. plus the people connected to lance who threaten erica's happiness

Archived