October 30 - November 3, 2006

Toups

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

AGREED 1000%!

GL wasn't helped by a holiday boost, a weird sweeps stunt(and before you people [!@#$%^&*], "She's a Marvel" and episodes like it are part of GL's fabric thanks to the Inside The Light device), nor did it tie with AMC and OLTL. They went UP!

Not to mention AMC and OLTL get more exposure(thanks to SOAPnet and the fact that it airs in it's regular timeslot in 99% of the country).

GL has a relatively smaller budget than every other soap in daytime. There IS a reason why this win is so important, not only for GL, but for CBS Daytime as a whole.

So, yeah, I agree. THIS was GL's week.

One thing GL can do to build on that momentum is get a new Head Writer(keep Ellen Wheeler, she has good instincts).

ETA: I wonder if SOD will put in fake numbers to make it look like GL didn't beat AMC and OLTL. Haven't they been accused of doing that in the past?

Maybe because B&B is pure and utter crap. Ever thought about that?

Also, it's no secret the most vocal fanbases online and offline come from GH and DAYS. Period.

• Members

As a viewer of AMC for 25 years (off and on, but more on), I am saddened to say that I hope this does happen. AMC is not giving the good storytelling, horendous historty re-writes. I watch Passions now more than AMC.

I am slowly slipping from Y&R, I do want to know who killed Carmen though.

Days is getting better, but I am hoping that sweeps really sets things into motion.

• Members

Congrats to GL and Y&R for great ratings this week. I'm just relieved that Days stayed the same given some people's vocal dissatisfaction with some aspects of the show on various message boards last week.

It's pretty apparent that the reaction to Hogie's tenure at Days has been pretty mixed. Either you love or you hate his writing--very little in between. Viewers just have different tastes. I remember during the Salem serial killer storyline, I was a VERY vocal critic of the show and JER. I couldn't understand why fans here at SON loved the storyline at the time. The fans and critics like me would butt heads and the critics of the show like myself unfortunately rooted for Days' ratings to go down so that we could be proven right that JER was a hack.

Looking at the show maintaining a 2.5 average and I really regret wishing for Days' ratings downfall back then. I wasn't thinking about the big picture and how difficult it would be for the show to get back its core fans on a consistent basis. I haven't enjoyed Days like this since B&C's brief tenure before they introduced the alien twins crap. It may not be reflective of the various message boards, but I hope that Days' fans are getting some type of enjoyment from the show. I know I just talked to my mom, a fan since the mid-70s, and she said that she absolutely loves the show now. The head honchos probably wouldn't care about her opinion b/c she isn't part of the all-important 18-49 demo.....

I hope that long-time Days fans (if they are enjoying the show) will start to become advocates of the show. Although NBC has done a great job of advertising Days during primetime, I think word of mouth from friends, family members and neighbors would be a much better strategy for encouring lapsed viewers to give the show another try and start watching the show again. I just hope that these lapsed viewers aren't so fed up with the show to give it a Second Chance....

• Members

As a Former viewer of B&B and AMC, I can speak from my point of view. When a show I love turns to crap and refuses to make adjustments, I leave. I had Brad Bell disappoint me with his flip-flopping and trite, able to see from a mile away plots one too many times. AMC is just a waste of air time. "Utter crap" is putting it nicely concerning these two shows.

Were B&B positioned differently in the lineup of CBS, I think the ratings would be much different. They get spillover from the great viewership of Y&R. Days has no great lead-in, in any market, that I know of. People are turning the dial to NBC just to see Days, that is plain.

And as a current viewer of Days, I love talking about and reading other's opinions on the changes taking place on this great show. The Days fans are energized, so that might explain why there is so much conversation about the show. Previously, it was all about how awful it was. I'll log in here any day to see all the joy and excitement of Days fans. What a change!

• Members

The reason why no one talks about B&B is because it is creatively lacking and has been for some time. If it weren't for Y&R, the show would not have the numbers they have. Period.

Days and GH have vocal fanbases and Days is under the microscope right now with a new HW. All of ABC is under the microscope because of their struggles and Laura's return. GL and ATWT are doing well so they are getting attention and Y&R is head and shoulders above the rest and is being watched carefully because of the changes they have made and so on. There is nothing going on behind the scenes at B&B and it's just status quo. Plus, many are not happy with the show including me so there you go.

• Members

I have made comments about Bold and Beautiful many times and I watch it daily. The show is all over the place and I honestly don't feel the only reason it does well in the ratings is because of Young and Restless. In many markets it doesn't air directly after Y&R and I believe that after almost 20 years B&B has established its own fanbase, that may not be as vocal and rabid as some of the other shows, but pretty large nonetheless. The problem with B&B is that Bradley Bell can't write for any character other than Ridge, Brooke, Stephanie and Nick. The same characters do the same things over and over again ad nauseum. I mainly watch now out of loyalty from watching from the beginning and the fact its about to celebrate 20 years on the air.

BTW, I love Passions because its different and the newsest soap and I feel that the show is inching upward slowly but surely and I can't wait for it to hit a 2.0 again. At least it hit a 1.6 one day out of the week. And what's up with the CBS soaps in the 18-34 demo?? They are doing terribly. Isn't that an important demo for advertisers too?

• Members

True! And the storylines are still all over the place. I tuned in to see RN/KZ/JC's performances. I still can't take Cassie and the rest of them. I missed Rick and Beth sleeping together. I dont know why they slept together. If it was a different writer I might have cared. Still dont like Ava even though she is Olivia's daughter. And to top it off they make the scumbag her father. :rolleyes: It looks like Reva's storyline is coming to an end. So I am just watching to see Marah again and then I am turning off the light again.

Archived