October 30 - November 3, 2006

Toups

• Members

Lead-ins are often very important in ratings, because ratings for one soap easily affect others around it on the same network. That's why B&B gets the ratings it does, and is one of the few "newer" (i.e. last 25 years) soaps to have endured and had decent ratings from the start.

The fact that AMC and OLTL come before GH may explain why GH hasn't had the ratings it has hoped right now. The collapse of ABC Daytime right now is reminiscent of how NBC Daytime collapsed in 1980- that year was really bad for Days, and that pulled AW down as well.

Just the same, Guiding Light's position suddenly looks better in comparison to a year ago not through any ratings rise, but because those above it took a dive. Again it seems like history repeating itself- The Edge of Night had fallen to rock-bottom by 1980 after several years of declining ratings (which would probably have meant cancellation soon after), but the collapse at NBC Daytime made its position in the ratings chart look better for a couple of years at least.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I know you don't like my input on the show/ratings. I know that the show has some improvements that I do acknowledge. But Beth Milstein used some show history and added some really sweet moments between couples that I really liked. Her style is much more suited to Days than Sheffer's.

The storylines are boring, plain and simple. Yes, they have movement, but where to? And before you start saying that just reading the EE and deciding whether to watch the show or not, is something I don't do. I have very reliable sources from ladies who watch the day before Canadian feed that write up the show and give a very unbiased and quality write-up, complete with clips. Their account is invaluable to me, plus occasionally I will actually tune into the show just for a look-see.

I'm not dismissing Hogan Sheffer, but up until now I don't have any excitement about the show.

• Members

I do agree that there are too many new characters. Don't get me wrong I do like to see some new blood, but why not cut the cast and write a quality show? The veterans do deserve good stories because they are the backbone of Days.

I just want a good balance of actors, with good storytelling.

• Members

New characters? There are two new charactered added by Hogan (Willow and Nick) one of which is connected to a core family. There is another new character on the way too that is tied to a core family (Benji). EJ is not really new anymore and wasn't even Hogan's so how is he newbie happy? The only sort of new character with lots of airtime is EJ. That point is ridiculous.

Days is giving quality storytelling and I do agree it can be more exciting then it is but to say Beth Milstein could do a better job just because she gave you special moments between couples is ridiculous. Hogan has given many good J&M moments so far along with Steve/Kayla. Bope have had a few too. I don't recall that many under Beth. In fact, Bope weren't even as close reconcilation under Beth as they are now under Hogan. Same with Steve/Kayla. J&M were barely on so what close moments are you talking about? LUMI had a few moments but that is it. Yet another point Daysgal with no basis.

I am not trying to be harsh but it is clear you have been against Hogan from the beginning and probably are one of those upset that some of the couples aren't together yet. I understand King's point but your's I can't see. We will have to agree to disagree. Accuse the show of being boring-there is evidence there but the rest is not true and I know from watching the show.

• Members

Can't we save the Hogan Sheffer/Beth Milstein debate for another thread? The show is still in transition- and a lot of things are in the "set up" stage right now- let Hogan's stories play out further & see what you think. HS fans & Days fans have to understand that the show he is inheriting is in a far worse state than ATWT was at the time. He's still writing the show out of JER's mess & making it his own. Things are very character-oriented right now, which is something we have not been getting. It's very smart to re-establish the charaters and their personalities before putting them into big stories. Give him a chance.

But back on topic- this week belongs to 'GL' and I think we should let them have their time in the "Light." Many of us have been waiting for them to top 'AMC' & 'OLTL' and it's happened- plus they've hit a rating that they haven't hit all year. Both are good signs for the show, especially since it airs in an AM timeslot in much of the country. That's the big news this week IMO. Let's not take away from that.

• Members

Not really. Not when two are tied to core families and not when one of them (Willow) is barely on.

juniorz1 is right. Hogan has a mess to deal with whether he had interim people ahead of him or not. The show is still in transition and while it will get more exciting it will be in transition for years to get rid of some of the mess of previous writers. This week does belong to GL and somehow we always end up in a Days debate here so I will just bow out of this and say good job GL!!! :lol:

• Members

I can see your point, Phoenix.

There comes a time, however, when you (not you you, like you as in me/you/everyone) need to stop being an eternal optimist/keeping the faith and be more objective. And want more from the show. We were promised an exciting November, God damn it, and I WANT IT! :lol:

• Members
:lol: I am always optimistic but I am objective as well and I happen to think November is exciting and will only get better. It's the way I feel so I am not going to change the way I see things. I know things will get better because I know what is to come and I am already enjoying the show. If I enjoy it, I enjoy it. It's not perfect but it is worlds better and I will take the show we are getting now anyday over what we getting before. It is all a matter of opinion. Some like it right now, some don't. You, I, and others may never agree on the state of the show. It all depends on tastes basically. I only spoke put because there was a mention of taking Beth over Hogan and that I saw as ridiculous after only a month.

• Members

Anyone can have opposing views Grey Bunny but not if they are claims that aren't even true and not when they come from someone who doesn't even watch the show and relies on EE or summaries to tell them what is going on. If someone watches the show everyday and brings stuff like that up, then it's more acceptable even if I disagree but if you don't watch the show everyday I can't someone's opinions seriously.

That is why I accept King's opinion-he watches the show everyday and has something to base his observations on.

And I guess I will say again GO GL!!!! :lol:

• Members

The point is not ridiculous. Days doesn't need characters like EJ, Willow, Nick or Benji. All of them have contracts and for what reason? I would rather see Vivian brought back instead of having all four of the above characters on this show. Vivian has established history and a very excellent actress. So no way was that point ridiculous!

So, just because Beth Milstein gave the characters a face-lift so to speak and gave me some good moments with Bo and Hope is ridiculous? I'm afraid you've assumed too much about me and that's wrong. If I got more out of the show from Milstein's interim writing, then so be it! I don't have a problem with Hogan putting Bo and Hope back together, but it would have really been nice if they addressed the problems they have. Not just swept under the rug.

You couldn't be more wrong than to make the assumption that I was against Hogan from the beginning. Where did I say that? I had very high hopes for the show. It's amazing to me that I get lumped into being in a fanbase that cries foul everytime something goes wrong with their couple. FYI, I don't even post on a Bo and Hope board, nor do I associate with any of their fans. So your assumptions of me is very wrong and I consider it very rude. My opinions are just as good as anyones on this board, yet you belittle mine. I didn't think I was posting on a board that likes everything sugarcoated. Apparently, I was mistaken.

• Members

AMEN! I'm a regular viewer, a fan of the SHOW (not one or two couples), and I was THRILLED when Reilly was booted. But that doesn't mean I can't see things clearly... the show right now if very ho-hum. And yes, there are newer characters being brought on that aren't necessary. Good Lord, they gave Willow a contract? Heaven help us.

And my previous Beth Milstein comment... how is that not valid? She whipped the show into shape and cleaned up the stagnant mess Reilly had made. Do we know how her own storyline creations would pan out? No. But we sure saw what she can do about giving us payoff to storylines that were in limbo for years. Hogan's work started airing the same time NuShawn and Willow had their basketball court flirtation. And it's been pretty ho-hum ever since. I'm not saying we should can this guy, but it's time to kick things up a notch again.

I mean really, does anyone think Kayla's gonna die? NO. DAYS fans have become used to "near-death" cliffhangers (literally, in the case of Jack & Jenn) but we know a real death isn't happening, so why torture us with having a character 'dying' when we know the outcome? Let's get on with the story!

Stepping off my soap box.

Oh... and Go GL! Soon, we'll be seeing everyone on All My Children living at the Pine Valley Inn and congregating in a newly constructed "Main Street" or Pine Valley Pike or whatever they want to call it. :)

Archived