DAYS: Gloved Hand Speculation

• Members

Making John the real Roman after 15 years would be so pointless and would conflict with so much history from the 90s. Sure, there are fans that want to see Drake as Roman. There also fans that want to see JER back as head writer. It just shouldn't happen, LOL. Keep John Black as Forrest Alamain and move on. Like you said, Phoenix when the topic of Tony was around, you shouldn't go back and re-write allready re-written history.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, it really wouldn't be rewriting history in regards to John. If you had to make Claire Philip's, yes but other then that it would be a life altering twist. Nothing would be rewritten. Like others said, if it is done fine but it isn't going to be so no big deal. I would like to dip more into John's past though.

• Members

Well, like Mitch, that has been a bone stuck in my craw for 15 years. That was beyond a doubt the dumbest story twist in Days up to that point. How in the hell can you brainwash someoneinto THINKING he was someone else? Mitch, you have a brother-in-amrs on this one.

• Members

Somewhere on Day's Cafe is mention that Hogan will bring out John's true paternity or close to that I don't remember word for word. If that is accurate at all, I'm thinking there is a lot of John's unknown past that will be revealed in months to come. I do hope he is NOT an Alamaine.

• Members

Mistake or no mistake, that storyline has given one of the most popular male characters in Daytime history. John is John Black. I could never see him being Roman. They're too different now. Back in the mid-90s, yes the reversal could've happened. Now, it's too late and would just be a mistake.

John's past should be established though. The best bet would just to solidify him as Forrest Alamain. That's your best bet, Hogie.

• Members

And in your opinion, that's fine. In mine, I want John as Roman Brady. They have tried two different backgrounds for him, and it's working so well they never touch on either of them. Also back in the 90s, Days was stuck with one hackneed writer after another,who couldn't write a scene for Looney Tunes much less DOOL. With as many people who love Josh Talyor but don't like him as Roman, if HS decides to go that route, I'll do a happy dance,and he'll have one viewer who'll love him from here on out.

And that's the way it is. My opinion. Have fun everyone. :D

• Members

While there are many who would love see John as Roman, or would have loved to have Alex turn out to be Roman, the fact of the matter is, the audience that DAYS wants to capture with the quality it is now churning out would likely turn it off at the thought of being fooled like that for that long. It's not everyday, and that's what most people want out of these shows now, to an extent. I say this as someone who did a switcharoo in my BLOG and never regretted it more, but the story was written, so I did it, instead of just "RECASTING". Of course, with the return of the DiMeras, one could say the return the everyday is nowhere near happening, but I digress.

• Members

John should under NO circumstances be Roman. His past has been messed with for so many years, to rewrite everything others have done would be stupid. The last thing DAYS needs is another rewrite, MMT style. Keep him as Forrest Alamain, heck, make him Daphne DiMera's son...but him being Roman is dead, let it stay dead.

• Members

But isn't he Daphne's son already?

And, over the years they have made him so many different people, Forrest Alamain, Roman, Romulus, Father John, Stefano's henchman, etc. I just need closure on who he actually is, and I would LOVE Josh's Roman to be Chris Kostichek.

• Members

That is the major reason why I want him as Roman. I would provide closure. He could be Roman with all the elements of being John. Nothing would change accept his family. The fans wouls not tune out over this. This is not anothe dead is alive spoof. The fans love Drake and would be happy with this as many are sick of the multiple identities plot with him. I like that myself but I can see why others wouldn't.

It's a moot point anyway because I don't see this happening but, if it did, it would not kill the ratings. In fact, the drama that ensued would boost them. Shelle does nothing for the ratings so they can be sacrificed despite me liking them together. I don't see this as a slap in the face to fans, especially since many would not mind seeing it.

Oh well. If it happens, fine. If not, fine too. I don't see it though.

• Members

Even though I want him as Roman, there is a problem if they did this on the real show:

Other Headwriters. This has been a major problem with who John is over the years, one headwriter wants him as Forrest, one wants him as Daphne's son, one wants him as Roman. If Hogan did it, it would be nice, but if a new HW ever cae around and Hogan was ousted, that HW could just cahnge John's history all over again, just like Langon did. Langon made him Daphne's son all of a sudden.

On blogs we KNOW it won't change because we will always be the HW, but on the real show, other HWs will always be a problem with everything.

Anyways, I can see Willow being one of EJ's employees now.... because she all of a sudden popped out of nowhere, hmmmmm.....

• Members

That is a great point, which is why if it by some mirical does happen, he has to become whoever he is and it needs to stay that way. I also think fans would not leave in droves. With all the stuff that is happening on ABCD, where their shows are near the bottom, I really find it very hard to believe that changing one character's identity that should have never been changed in the first will make ratings tank. As long as both Drake and Jso stay on the show, I'm all for it. If others are not, I see where they are coming from, and, if they choose to stop watching because of it, they will be missed. But, I would rather watch a great story that ended like that, and with all the dramatic material still to be told, then seeing some of the crap we have seen for the last few years. Hell, HS and the writing staff are just now starting to end stories that should have never started in the first place.

• Members

I agree that the dramatic quality would be great, Roman, and far greater than any of the *be nice* unacceptable quality we've been dealt over the past 10 or so years, however, I think I'm one of the few fans that would liek to see things settle back into the everyday drama. Not the BORING crap, but the everyday nontheless- more grounded in family and friendship and less focused on the extreme. But, that's just me! :lol:

• Members

When I mentioned Roman as one of EJ's henchman, I wasn't speculating whether John was really Roman. I would prefer that John remain an Alamaine, so that John can maintain his fortune and so that we can have an opening for Vivian coming back on the show. That would be so much fun!!! I loved her!!

I was just thinking that the Roman that Stefano wheeled into Salem what 10 years or so ago was never THE Roman of the 80s/early 90s. That Roman died valiantly in the service of the ISA in the mid-90s. I believe that JER set it up back in the mid-90s that Roman died before Stefano/Kristen brought back this particular Roman.

In all candor, I don't think that Days needs Roman and if they decided to kill him off once and for all, I really wouldn't mind!! If Hogie wanted to go with a mystery, he could have Bo/John/Steve look for the identity of the real Roman's killer and work on whatever case the real Roman was investigating at the time...

Sorry, Roman. I know how much you like Roman but he seems like wasted space to me (even though Hogie is writing him better now). I just think that Roman's place in Salem has come and gone....

• Members

Keith, we do agree on that. The wild, stupid stories that have been told for the past ten years need to end. I think all I'm saying is that this is one of the very few plot twists that still just sticks in my craw, and if he can be given back his identity, once and for all, we can get back to telling real, humanistic stories, and stop with all the tomfoolery that had made Days the laughing stock of the soap world (And that boggles the mind),

I feel you Keith, and do agree on the drama. I do feel that my the slight chance it does happen, that will be the last story of its kind on Days for quite some time. :)

Oh, I see what you are saying too. Josh's Roman has been written so badly, that he doesn't even bear any resemblance to the heroic Roman of the 1980s, with both Wayne and Drake playing the role. Josh has come into his own better lately, and that is doing wonders for the character, but I just can't help saying "Why is Marlena talking to Chris?" Every time I see him on-screen. :lol: I just never could accept him as Roman Brady, who I do feel is a very vital character on the Days canvas. But, I do see your point. :angry:

Archived