Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
:( I'm trying to fall in love with this show but I can't. I love Sorkin and I LOOOOVE Sports Night but I just like Studio 60. I love Amanda Peet and Matthew Perry but a lot of the cast comes across as wasted. They serve little purpose. Monday's episode was good but I'm still not in love (like with Heroes).

• Members

I really want to like this show.

I feel like it is one of those shows that you must like.

But instead of loving it right out of the gate I'm just kind of blase about it.

I wouldn't be disappointed if I missed it ya know.

I guess it will grow into something special...

but I'm just a little to bored right now. Might not stick around to see it week after week.

• Administrator

As a Harriet/Matt fan, I really loved this episode. We learned more about Harriet and Harriet/Matt's history. Matt didn't "break" until Harriet arrived on the show....she was the one who lit a fire under him both personally and professionally. Then that last scene with Sting singing in the background. Great stuff.

How crazy was that Reality tv show? I'm surprised "Les Moonves" would want to pick that show up. It sounded like a FOX reality tv show. LOL

"They want you to cook the dinner, at least they ought to let you shop for some of the groceries." Only Aaron Sorkin will quote from Bill Parcells! LOL

Sorkinese was in high gear tonight. :)

I also really enjoyed Christine Lahti on the show.

Danny's "street cred." :lol:

• Members

The only reason this show failed is because it's garbage. NBC gave them everything they needed to make a hit, but they couldn't deliver. If NBC hadn't given them the huge budget, all star cast and total creative control I'm sure we'd get a much better show. The show is pretentious, self important, overly political and often offensive to the own viewers it's trying to rope in.

I agree with the cancellation article that Sorkin and co will either say America wasn't smart enough to get the show or that NBC didn't do enough, both of which are lies.

You win some (Sports Night, West Wing) and you lose some (Studio 60), very simple. Hopefully their heads aren't so big that they can't learn from their mistakes here.

• Members

Sorkin's salary was a little too much. The show would had to have been a hit from the GETGO. Like SMASH hit. Friends, CSI caliber. And the bar was set way too high.

Quality-wise, I do think the show is a hit. I think it's great. I would have loved a full season just so I can get it on DVD.

• Members

If the writing were the same I don't think there was any way in hell this was going to appeal to a wide enough audience to make it a hit. This is why I didn't understand the budget. Just like Sports Night, Arrested Development, Veronica Mars, etc. All GREAT shows, but they were never going to be big hits.

Say Studio 60 had a more reasonable budget and a better cast, I still don't think the quality would merit any type of cult fanbase that could keep the show on the air. Over at Television Without Pity all of Sorkin's shows are hugely popular, but with Studio 60 while popular there, most of the posts are talking about how awful the show is. This is the huge fanbase that would be keeping it on the air, but even hardcore Sorkin fans aren't interested.

Archived