Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't think NBC is stupid enough to think it'll ever beat CSI: Miami, a solid #2 is GREAT! Plus comparing the numbers to Medium, this is (so far) a bonefide hit for NBC. If they moved it up an hour it would be up against 24 and Two and A Half Men, in other words it would 100% be cancelled.

• Members

Just finished watching it...

-I loved the shoutout to Network, that's one of my favorite films EVER!

-Amanda Peet is great in this role. I'd never thought she's be able to pull out of romantic comedy hell.

-I was pleasantly surprised by Matthew Perry. All traces of Chandler Bada-Bing are gone.

• Members

First. KR. Thats a hot banner. Christie looks SMOKING :)

Next. I really think that even if the ratings were less than perfect for Studio 60, NBC would move it until it found its niche. This show is too brilliant. The network knows Aaron Sorkin's track record. He won the network countless Emmys. They will make sure this sticks around. If they don't, I lose all hope.

• Members

With a per-episode pricetag of over $3 million dollars I do not expect this show to last.

I liked it. I thought it was well produced and well acted and well executed. The writing was snappy and it had everything (including the same graphics) as the West Wing only it was about a TV show and not the Oval Office. Here lies it critical problem - these characters are not running the world they are running, well, something completely insignificant by comparison. "Are you here to save us"? asked a production assistant to Matthew Perry's character. To this I replied from my couch, "save you? you work for a f*ucking TV show ! What could you possibly need to be saved from?" It is not as if they are refugees in Lebanon looking for aslyum and their lives are in danger; it is not as if their houses were washed away in a hurricane and the aid funding has not made it to them after a year of recurring nightmares; and it is certainly not as if the characters are facing death from militants in Kandahar on a daily basis require a logical strategy to ensure their safe return home! Gimme a break. Perhaps that is why 11% of the audience tuned out in the last half.

These are really awesome, idealistic, powerful performances about people who do not deserve our attention or caring. What works for the high-calibre world of high-politics does not apply to the low-brow world of late-night TV; no matter what say these people are not *that* important.

Don't get me wrong, I love TV and I enjoy watching a "behind the scenes" type drama but where the show excels (production and writing) it will also fail.

I hope it is given the chance to grow legs and balance itself. But after the pilot I am worried that it will get pulled far too soon for that.

Archived