Brad Pitt: I'll marry when everyone can

Josh

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Forget about my personal views on this issue, poohbear, you made a very good point! I completely forgot about his marriage to Jen. So I guess I can still use my publicity argument because gay marriage wasn't around when he and Jen got married and this issue, while it has received it's most prominence in these times, has been around FOREVER. What was his excuse then, huh? Ugh! Now I REALLY don't like this guy. I knew it. He's just blowing hot air.

• Members

JSF, something to consider--

If you don't think gays are morally in the right, when they barely have it, what about the gazillions of straight couples who cheat, murder to get out of marriage, divorce, etc.? These are people that are less likely to do any of it, because they've been fighting for it for so long.

Our society has never been in a place to preach about the institution of marriage and they never will be. The end.

Of course, you're free to feel how yuou personally feel, and I applaud you for beign able to put that aside politically. I just don't agree with you, because your argument seems ridiculous.

*shruugathon*

• Members

Keith -- and I'm just throwing this out there, I don't have the actual proof or a reason to call it proof, formally -- I thought I heard that gay men have one of the worst commitment stats out there? I know I saw that on a film. I believe it was called, "It's Not Gay." The doctor read the stat and as well, the median number of sexual partners, and I was shocked.

• Members

Well, first of all, a big F YOU, for citing a statistic to support a real life argument. I'm sorry, but statistics are the most biased piece of bullshit you can find. This is one of the many reasons I have decided to not branch off into journalism from my English majoring.

Moreover, that supposed statistic is a stereotype. Gay men are no less worse at committment than the average straight man. And that's a stereotype, too. So, don't throw your statistics in the face of a poster and expect them to bow down to your greatness.

And, if you don't have proof, why in da hell, to quote the once wonderful Roman Brady, did you say it in the first place?

• Members

Thank god I'm from Massachusetts. We're the only state that's legalized gay marriage, and we also happen to have one of the lowest divorce rates.

Hopefully w/in my lifetime things will change. I applaud Brad for saying that, but like other people said, he's already been married, as has Angelina, so they already have received the privleges that married couples get from the gov't.

I think what needs to be done is separate "marriage" in the religion sense from "marriage" in the legal sense. This is supposed to be a country w/ a separation of church and state, but I think we all know that that's total crap. It's not as if heterosexual couples have kept "the sanctity of marriage" (as Dubya would say) alive w/ a 50% divorce rate in this country.

• Members

I actually don't understand why straight people get all weird and are so damned biased against homosexuals getting married. What the hell do they care? They aren't getting married. I hate the fact that just because heterosexuals are in the majority (or so we think) and are in control, that they have to restrict the rights of others, people who deserve to have the same rights as everyone else.

You don't have to marry a person of the same sex. You don't have to go to sleep with them, live with them, or be friends with them.

I think it's pathetic that people don't want to be fair and equal just because they don't "think it's right" or "think it's moral". As if they are righteous and pious and without sin.

We all know that straight people would want the right to marry if homosexuals were in control and banned straight marriage. But thankfully, homosexuals aren't as biased, ignorant and controlling as their heterosexual counterparts.

Good for you Brad!!

• Members

Well, be that as it may (the notion that statistics are biased), I really don't think I deserve an "f you" for mentioning it. I even just said I was just "throwing it out there." I really am a lot more sensitive than what some people give me credit.

Wow, let the record show this was one instant where I wasn't dramatic at all. You're really blowing that mere mention of the statistics out of proportion.

Because I did hear it. From a supposedly credible source. I can't forget what I heard. Actually, saw. Like I said, it was on the film, "It's Not Gay." Look it up, you'll find what I saw. Again, just because I saw something on a movie and mentioned it, really isn't a good reason to chew someone's head off.

Wow, if that isn't a generalization the size of Texas, I don't know what is! Basically, you're saying that all heterosexuals are "biased, ignorant and controlling" with that statement, and that's not the kind of statement that can be blanketed because no one knows the actual percentages of heterosexuals who are biased, ignorant and controlling. And I have known some VERY "biased, ignorant and controlling" homosexuals, so it's not fair to make a statement that suggests all homosexuals are saints.

• Members

Okay, this is directed to anyone that is willing to answer this question.

Would anyone consider me wrong and too accepting if I made friends with homosexuals and lesbians, even knowing that I follow the Word of God? Would my being friends with them make me a sinner because of my faith? I'm serious...because I have a lot of friends that are homosexual and I don't treat them any differently than my heterosexual friends. The thing is that I tell them that I follow the Word of Christ, however, I don't make it a point to wave my Bible in their face every chance I get. They are very well aware that I'm a Christian and follow those believes, however, they also know that I will not shun them or turn my nose up at them because of their sexual preference.

I've had enough prejudices directed my way, so much so, that I try not to do the same thing to someone else that is different than I am.

• Members

Well, Keith, after those points I mentioned (to get things back on topic) I didn't imagine it would be another personal comment. Amazingly, your very friends have said otherwise about me in PMs. But that's neither here nor there. I am a very compassionate person;Otherwise, even being staunchly Republican, I would have voted one way or another on the gay marriage law. With those gray areas, if I weren't compassionate, I wouldn't silently disagree, I'd actually picket and boycott and put on a mean face. But I don't do that because I'm not judgmental when it comes to things I don't understand. Nor do I take action on those things. Besides, just because I'm not pro-gay marriage, that doesn't make me a bad person and I think people only commit a disservice when they make blanket judgments about people based on their belief systems. I don't even do that with people who are pro-choice. (And I loathe abortion, NARAL, Planned Parenthood and all the others). Perhaps tolerance could work both ways.

• Members

:lol:

Amidst, all the drama on this thread you cracked me up!

-Anyway Let people be.

A same sex couple getting married doesn't affect me in any way shape or form.

It's not my business, nor do I want to make it mine.

No matter how many statistics, bible passages, studies etc. that are mentioned won't change people's minds. Learn THAT!

Archived