Brad Pitt: I'll marry when everyone can

Josh

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm not going to laud Brad Pitt for taking this stance. I truly believe he is merely attempting to save face because he may have realized that there will be no wedding imminent in their futures. There are four divorces between them; both may have learned their lesson about placing value on their relationship through the legal process. In this day and age, many old the institution to be nothing more than a piece of paper which triggers the anger as to why this seeming non chalance is not afforded to everyone.

Furthermore, while I do support gay marriage and equal rights that should not be held as barter, I do not believe in the automatic conclusion that all those who express an opposition are bigots. That is a blatant stereotype as any other condemned against homosexuals. People who are of good minds, judgment and conscience to follow their bibles and heed to its edicts. That perspective should not be cheapened as the pex of hatred simply because opinions do not align in a politically correct manner; doing so is reverse bigotry and discrimination.

Not all Christians trump themselves to be the Messiah and presume to do his job. I don't want that free reign. The Bible says free will and that's how I proceed. No laws should be in place to infringe upon personal freedoms. The separation of church should be respected because guess what? Christianity is not the only religious institution and further ammendments to the laws of the land to reflect such a particular mindset is dangerous.

As a Christian , I do my best to live a life that's good. By no means am I perfect or claim to be but there are some actions I don't proceed with because of my value system and beliefs. However, I fully stand behind very liberal stances such as abortion, the morning after pill, death penalty and other ideolgicl concepts which strain my ideals but not necessarily compromise. I sleep soundly knowing that I do try to be Christ like by embracing those who may not mirror my life because Jesus walked with the lepers, prostitutes and withheld his stones. He was of restoration, coming together and inclusion. Not exclusion.

At times, I feel ashamed to be a Christian; the Bible just becomes this weapon of hate and it's disgusting to see the words so peversed. But we are not all zealots comparable to what Osama represents to Islam. We are not all followers of a rabid Jerry Flawell who take excess hubris in flaming the dissension thatalready exists among good people who happen to share different thoughts.

Christians themselves are often the only Bible people will read. I'd rather not venerate hate because other people don't hold my voews. I'm certianly not going to create a law damning their rights to disagree and proceed differently.

To shorten a long speech, I support gay marriage and am wholly against measures that are implemented to deny liberties and freedoms. Throughout time, religion has been used as the scapegoat to justify atrocious acts such as the holocaust, slavery, women being deeed second class citizens, terorism and too many more grievances to mention. In this day and age, this new millineium, all will be right with the world if we receive our own mortality and let others follow their own will. If no one is being hurt, holding onto pur pride, ego and sense of entitlement is not worth the strife. Not to me anyway. If the same God many claim to be defending by opposing people living their lives as they choose fit intended for us to fall in line and be robots, he would have encoded such a trademark into our genetic maker. He didn't--for a reason. Therefore, it is not our place or jurisdiction to create a false comfort zone by boxing people into our perceptions of "good living".

I hate cats, but I'm not going to incur PETA's wrath by calling for the execution of all felines. B) Cat people are cool. So are gays. So are people in general who don't piss me off. :)

Sorry if I came off preaching. Some of the posts triggered a defensive reaction. I'm a believer, but I do question. Others follow through on their doubts. They are not bad people who should be separated as such.

• Members

Without getting into the religious debate, I fully support gay marriage---but I think this is just a smokescreen to cover up the fact that Angelina doesn't want to get married, he does, and their relationship may be in trouble. Both Brad and Angelina have a habit of getting involved with their co-stars and in each case, the relationship didn't last. You would think they would take the hint and not bang the people they've worked with.

• Members

The Hitler comment was directed to Joint StrikeFighter who asserted that even bigots should be tolerated. Sorry you misunderstood. It was not directed at you

Paul is not quoting Christ in his letters. Saul experienced the transformation to Paul after hearing Christ speak. Catholocism loves St. Paul for his contributions to Catholic Dogma

• Members

No, no, no. Not him. I just mean, if someone has different views, that's where the 'tolerance' view seems to go out the window. But people like me who merely oppose an issue and aren't physically hurting anyone in doing so, are unlike Hitler. Someone like Hitler or any other extremist is not to be tolerated. When physical harm comes into the equation, I think that's obvious.

But then there would be no diversity. Again, I'm just stating the truth. People can't have it both ways.

I can't believe I'm saying this to Bree but, AMEN, and praise Jesus! I completely agree!!

But all of that is moot because the Christian view - well, the Catholic one (I'm technically Catholic so I can only speak from my religion), states the belief that God basically 'approves this message' for everything in The Bible. It doesn't matter if it came from Paul, Saul or Doll...it's seen as The Truth, though and through.

• Members

Q Steph, I'd like to second the "Great Post!" I may not agree with some of the specific things that you said, but I agree wholeheartedly that being Christian does not automatically mean that you are closed-minded and intolerant. It is really sad that the bad apples spoil the integrity of the bunch.

• Members

Thanks Dan & Toad. I frequently get the, "Well, what kind of Christian are you?!" guilt trip; esp. circa the Da Vinci code. It was just a movie but everyone around me made it seem like I was plotting with Bin Laden if I saw it.

JSF, there IS diversity in difference. We don't all have to agree but applying biblical applications which were not meant to be taken so literally is where the issue arises. I know the Bible speaks of forincation, but a lot of Sunday going church members are still doing their threesomes on Saturday. I have deep reservations about Catholism; there pedophiling priests being chief maong them, their reluctance to accept the changing world and the submissive imperatives they identify women as possessing, but I'm not going to ban mass because it's not my cup of tea. I'll drink coffee. Or a beer. Either way, it should be my buisness. Just as a person's orientation and marital status.

We're all in the wrong in some way; so what right does another person have to tell me how to live? It's ot their fault or problem that you may not agree. It also shouldn't be a legal matter just as it once was that Blacks and whites couldn't marry.

Another thing, I believe in God and in his absolute will, but I don't trust man. Man wrote the Bible and the verse has been changed so much over the years. I'm not insinuating that the doctrine is false, but i do believe some text may have been manipulated to suit certain groups. I'm probably going to hell because I refuse to "know my role".

• Members

esp. circa the Da Vinci code. It was just a movie but everyone around me made it seem like I was plotting with Bin Laden if I saw it.

Not to completely change the subject, but I've been wanting to read The Da Vinci Code, if only to see what it is about and what makes it so controversial. But I've heard Dan Brown's prose style sucks...hmm.

• Members

I got the book under protest, but I liked his sense of description. You felt as though you were there in the moment. He's very into detail. Every little thing was explained. It was anal to a point.

The premise of the book is that Da Vinci was involved in a secret society that knew of a long held secret in Chriatan religion; the holy grail was actually the daughter of Jesus Christ and Mary Magdalene, the hooker who was going to be stoned. The book also contends that this was covered up by the church to perserve the integrity of the church and Christ's image who is venerated as self sacrificing, holy, bachelor and pure. (It is also suggested that Christians don't realize that they are pushing a flase premise by making Jesus single and not with any women; made him seem gay. So, his single status had to be made into this big act of denying his flesh)

Moreover, the role of women was diminished to serve this purpose when in reality Chriatianity was heavily influenced by women who were then demonized. The clues to this unveil this secret involved secret messages in the Da Vinci code that the main characters try to figure out. The book also trumps that men and women are endowed with both female and male presences in their auroa. All the while, this Albino monk is after them, mutilating himself as a form of absolution.

It was just a big mystery to me that involved the bible. I didn't take it to heart but many theologians and believers were upset that their faith was seemingly being mocked which I difer from. Religion has stood the test of time. To question is not to disprove.

Archived