DAYS: Big News From Matt Ashford(Jack)

• Members

I have heard rumors that Sheffer really wanted to write for Jack but that Ken C overruled him. Ken really wanted that going off into the sunset ending. So, I would not be surprised if Sheffer raises the ratings if he wouldn't try to bring back Jack - especially with Abby still on the show.

I can see it now - Jennifer offscreen discovers she is pregnant with Frankie's baby and decides that for the baby's sake (and the fact she also loves Frankie) she will leave Jack and be with Frankie. Jack, brokenhearted but feeling guilty for setting this all in motion, agrees to divorce her and returns to Salem.

This frees Jack up for a new love interest and also leaves the door open for Jennifer down the line if Missy ever decides to return. Heck - I would accept it if it got Matt back on my screen.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

^ I can see that ...

And SteveFrame:

You are right; it won't happen and if it did, I would hate to see the fans reaction. There would be so much backlash ... But as for she "can't" be fired or bumped to recurring. Of course she can, but Corday won't do that. Which brings me back to the Serial Killer plot in 2003/2004, when Frances was "fired" I knew the SSK thing was all an act. No way would they ever fire Frances Reid.

Unlike Phelps and GH and the late Anna Lee. That still sickens me.

• Members

Why does it matter whether she has children or not. She has put in the years on the show, and deserves whatever she makes.

I just don't understand how people can sit back and say it is okay for the vets to be fired from the show. I think there should be some kind of loyalty to them because of the years they have put in. I know that is not a popular opinion but it should be. I guess it just goes with our new idea in our new society that "older" people should be locked away in a nursing home and forgotten about.

JSF how would you feel if you got a job, and then the company had to make a cut. You were the first one hired, but you or a co-worker have got to go. They look at you and say well you have no children, but the other guy does. So they let you go. It would hardly seem fair but that is basically what you are saying about Frances. Or maybe they came to you and said well it would help the company alot if you took a big pay cut. How would you feel?

The same think is happening on the soaps that is happening in the corporate world. It is sad but someday the same thing will happen to you or one of your loved ones. I have watched my ex-father-in-law get fired from the last 3 jobs he had because he had seniority. He is an electrical engineer, and did the electrical design on parts of the Atlanta Airport. Anyway the last 3 jobs that he has had, they took and got rid of all the older experienced engineers - laid them off - and then hired young guys fresh out of college. They got them cheaper. It happened to him the first time at 55. Since the 3rd layoff he can't get a job in his field, because of his age. So guess what he works at Wal Mart stocking shelfs at night.

I know that some of you look and think that the Frances Reids are not needed, but if it weren't for them we wouldn't even have the shows we have today. It is sad that the younger fans have no respect for them at all.

• Members

I would care, and I am sure there are tons of other fans who would ;)

I would take Laura, Bill, Melissa, Sarah, Kim, Shane, Marie, Mike, or Jeremy over Carrie and Austin anyday, but that's just me.

Great Post Steve

• Members

I'm confused, bellcurve. I thought that AFTRA requires that every show increase pay for every year the actor has worked. If that's true, then Fran makes the most. If it's not, and someone who told me that is wrong, then yes, I'll concede that you're right. That's just how I thought it was. Can someone clear this up? Mods? "Insiders?" :P

Now that was just uncalled for. And if you hadn't heard, "Passions" is amazing right now. So, well, THAT point is moot.

I'm sorry, why would fans backlash if Fran was put on recurring? It would affect her income, yes, but fans usually get enraged because that means the actor's appearance on the show is cut significantly. Frances already appears once a month. So, um, yeah. Nothing to get mad about.

I agree, getting fired would suck. As for the paycut, that's when the actor's loyalty, I think, comes in the equation. If they TRULY care about the show, and the show can't go on unless they take that pay cut, I don't see what the big deal is if they're making SIGNIFICANTLY more than the U.S. median income. I mean, if the alternative is the show gets canned because it can't afford to air, then what? They make no money at all! :lol: That's why I don't see your point about the paycuts. But certainly I understand the negativity behind firing those with seniority. Now, THAT would suck.

But there's the catch 22. Soaps NEED that younger set or else there are no characters to fall in love with and grow with, to carry on the show. So you need to have vets, yes, but you MUST have Maxsea or you have no show. That's the bottom line.

• Members

Wow, well that's the difference between you and me, Chanel. I RELISH watching that ungrateful slut Chelsea strut around like she owns the town. And her selfishness provides some of the best, funniest lines on the show! Chelsea Benson is the future of "Days of Our Lives." There, I said it!

• Members

Isn't it Chelsea Brady now? I swore the trial had her called Chelsea Brady more than once. And Max is still screwing her. Lame.

Yes, soaps need the younger set. However, what many execs and some fans fail to see is the past is as important as the future on any ensemble drama that has lasted as long as DAYS or most of the soaps on today.

Even B&B and Passions have rich enough histories that shouldn't be ignored for ratings. It's what the genre is all about. Generational relationships. Grandmothers, mothers, children, grandchildren.

Another major part of soaps is the small town. Everyone should know everyone. It's always a treat when we see characters outside of a 'bubble'. I know I'm not the only who wants more of that.

As far as Frances goes, if she is by some wild stretch of the imagination making more than Deidre Hall, I'd be surprised, much like bellcurve. Quite frankly, Frances has been a non-contract contract player for so long, I don't think she, or John Clarke for that matter, were playing along to that 'tier' rule. I mean, these people renegotiate contracts jus tlike everyone else and I'm sure there came a point where the likes of Reid, Rogers, Clarke, McCay, Parker, and God knows who else had clauses in their contract that guaranteed them a steady paycheck, based on their 'supporting' roles on the show, as opposed to lead ones. While this is only speculation on my part, I'm sure it has some merit.

• Members

It's a double edged sword to say that nobody would care today about seeing some Horton relatives or whoever back but that they would care about Austin and Carrie. Why would younger fans care about Austin and Carrie, if they didn't see them either? If you're going to hold the audience up to a youth standard or something and assume they don't care about what someone else does from the past, you also have to assume they don't care about what you care about from the '90s...like Austin and Carrie.

Bringing back Max or Stephanie, I don't think anybody could've predicted that, but they're solid characters and it looks like they'll be here to stick around. Those are pretty not well known older characters who have family connections. Hogan Sheffer did the same with characters in the Snyder family and others at ATWT. There's plenty of children to mine from the Bradys and Hortons, whether it's Sarah or Jeremy or whoever. He also brought older characters back who had been gone for years, like Craig Montgomery. And it worked.

• Members

Gimme a break JSF. But the fact is we all have our favorites and we shouldn't bash each other for having them.

I'm with Danny and Rick. Give me Caroline, Maggie, Sarah, Melissa, Laura, Bill, etc. any day over some characters we are dealt with now.

And age has nothing to do with it. I'm 20 and would much rather watch older characters than younger, but that's JMO.

• Members

I'm pretty sure Max and Chelsea haven't screwed or done anything since the Summer Blowjob last year. We haven't had any bed scenes with them...

Actually, Fran's a fierce negotiator, and now I know where I got that, Keith. I distinctly remember an interview with Ken Corday where said something to the effect of, she really "took me to the mat" in the negotiating room.

Well, I'm 23 and would much prefer older characters than younger characters . I never meant to imply otherwise. I think it's horrible how some soaps have forced the newbies to take over and give vets the short end of the stick.

Archived