DAYS: Big News From Matt Ashford(Jack)

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Drake in my opinion can't act. If it was a choice between him and Deirdre, John Black would be out the door, if I was Corday or Sheffer. :lol:

If the budget is in such a dreadful state, I guess that puts to an end all the speculation about Stefano's return.

I think Ashford would definitely have taken a pay cut to stay on DAYS.

Matt says the way is being left open for Jack to return at some point, so maybe Hogan Sheffer will try and get him back on DAYS in a few months? Maybe you could have some plausible SL, like Jennifer divorced Jack and married Frankie somewhere else, so Jack returns to Salem to see Abby.

• Members

Meh... I don't believe all these casting slashes really. The show went through it in 2003... only to bring all of them back. It's not that desperate if it can do that. Besides with all the positive changes going on I don't see how cast cutting a bloated cast could be interperted negatively...

• Members

Someone listed Doug and Julie - they are already recurring. If you are on recurring you have already been fired from the show. You have no ties to the show and they have no ties to you. There is no guarantee that they will even use you at all. And they do not even have to notify you to tell you they will not use you anymore.

I was thinking that it was reported awhile back that Frank Parker was already recurring.

I definitely agree that with that big of a budget cut, we will see more go on recurring - most likely Rogers and McCay. And with the budget cuts, there won't even be the money to pay them when they might want to use them. So I expect them to be seen about as much as someone like Marj Dusay is on GL - which is hardly ever. But yet she is on recurring status at GL.

I think they will try to keep most of the other supercouples, esp. after getting rid of Jack and Jennifer. So I see some of the vets going to recurring and seen every once in awhile, and then some others just to go completely.

Also if the rumors are true about some of the returns (Stefano, etc.) they will have to cut down on recurring appearances to make the difference in the salary of someone like Mascolo.

I just don't see us seeing the Hayes' and some others very much anymore. Maybe at Christmas or weddings if even that. I always loved Julie's relationship with Sammi and Lucas. I was really surprised that they were not at Jennifer's wedding as that is when we usually see Doug and Julie.

Maybe the cuts won't last long if Hogan can get the ratings up.

I would imagine that the bringing back of all those is what might have hurt them. It couldn't have helped esp. if the rumors were true that NBC had wanted the show to cut expenses even back then.

The only way that the cast cuts will be looked on negatively is if another big star like Ashford is cut. We have already seen the big fallout from it. And also the fallout over Drake and Deidra just being off for a few months.

Days fans do not want their couples messed with. So I just think alot will depend on who the 10 are.

• Members

B) Oh, I'm pretty sure that WILL happen. If we get into the 3's, maybe no more cast cuts.

I just don't understand how, back in 2003 and '04, the show "killed" off 9 vets, and brought them ALL back alive. :huh: Wasn't the reason they had done that was because of cast cuts/new budget?

• Members

I would hope so, but with both on recurring (I do feel she will go recurring), I doubt very seriously they will write a story for 2 recurring performers.

And as I said above, I don't feel that with that big of a budget cut they will have the recurring performers on that often. Because they will have to pay them every time they appear.

Yes it was done for that - at least that was what was reported. But Days still had a hefty budget at the time. Still in the million dollar range.

If they are cut to $700,000 per week, they will not be able to maintain all the current cast with all the vets and a writer and writing staff like is told they are going to have. They just can't keep all of them at this point. With that big of budget cut, I am sure we will only see newcomers in recasted roles. It will be much like GL in that sense. Hopefully they will get lucky.

And esp. if the rumor is true about Stefano. They have got to make some big cuts to get him back. Mascolo won't come back to the show cheap.

• Members

Rashaan Orange (Tek) was bumpted to recurring weeks ago. He was used for the show that airs tomorrow.

If there really is no recast of Philip or Mimi, then and Shawn will be recast .... at some point in time .... that would leave MM's Belle alone. I wonder if she would be bumped to recurring, too, at least until the big stories are well underway.

• Members

OOps My bad, Had my wires crossed.

From 2003

Big news on the set of DAYS OF OUR LIVES, as word comes down that NBC, Sony and Corday Productions have inked a deal to keep your favorite soap opera on NBC until 2009! The five-year deal is worth about $500 million, down from what the sudsier has been paid on a weekly basis in the past.

100 milion per year equals 1.9 million per week.

So the shows budget will now be 1.2 million per week. Not as bad as we thought :)

• Members

Only contract actors will be cut so the recurring actors are safe. I think it is safe to say Rogers, Parker, and McKay will go recurring and how much the ratings improve (meaning more money) will affect how much they are seen. I think many of the stars took a pay cut, which is why I think it took so long for Dee to resign. Days won't have too much of a problem with actor pay cuts since most of the vets want to stay at Days. We also know they are going to get rid of a ton of crew members (like Passions) and use fewer sets and extras (like Passions). I don't think the cast cuts are going to be as bad as it seems considering all that. As for the 10 actors, it could very well include those leaving willingly and Matt is just speaking in terms of who is leaving total. I can totally see Pinson leaving now which is sad but the couples will be safe and the young generation will be safe so that doesn't leave a whole lot of space for Pinson. I think what may happen is those that leave will have open-ended exits like Matt and once the ratings improve and things aren't so tight some will be brought back. Who knows-Pinson or anyone else under the gun may agree to a big cut and there may not be a need to get rid of them. It was speculated that Warlock refused a cut and that is why he is leaving so those leaving may have turned down a cut and those that stay probably accepted one.

I am not ready to go nuts about this until I see it. Days could also just be resting some characters too by sending them off for a bit until things get better. Maybe Martha will be given a rest since her story will be in limbo and Bope may get a vacation like J&M to save money. There are lots of ways all this can go so I think it is wise to take a wait and see approach. Matt just may be speaking generally about the total amount of those leaving or how much he has heard is leaving. Doesn't mean they are but who knows.

God knows anything can happen backstage at Days after all we witnessed :lol:

Archived