DAYS: Big News From Matt Ashford(Jack)

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was just about to chime in and say GL has it alot worse with their budget cuts, but DAYS only has a budget of 1.4 Million? I thought DAYS's budget was in the $2 Million Range? Or maybe that was in 2003, during the last negotiations.

I hope DAYS/NBC clean up the Salem Place lot. That may be DAYS's answer to GL's Main Street. And quite honestly, that might not be a bad thing, seeing how Salem Place looks alot more realisitic than Main Street.

I wonder if several scenes will be taped and shot out of order to accomodate the budget being drastically reduced. According to the MyNetworkTV artices poster dc(insertnumbershere) stated, the budgets for those are 600,000-700,000 a week. But they shoot the shows by scene rather than by episode.

Yikes. [!@#$%^&*] is getting SERIOUS at NBC. If DAYS has a budget of that much, no telling how much PASSIONS will be affected by it.

ETA: I wonder if Corday/Sony will do the dirty PGP thing and renegotiate contracts at the end of the cycles, ala GL. If so, I can totally see them asking Dee and Drake to take a substantial paycut, and Kristian and Peter as well.

• Members

I'd assume Bo, Hope, John, Marlena, Steve, Kayla, Stephanie, Chelsea, Sami, Lucas, Kate, EJ(I can't imagine them getting rid of him so quickly) are all safe.

Supposedly Abby is not leaving with the rest of her family.

If Patrick is going, I can't see Billie staying on the show for much longer either.

If more vets are to be fired, Maggie, Victor, Julie, Doug would be the obvious candidates.

Or: perhaps Grandpa Shawn is being killed off? :o

• Members

Jason Cook is a second tier actor and makes between 2,000-2,500 bucks per episode. You know they will recast Shawn with a newbie, because they only have to pay newcomers $900-1,200 bucks per eppy

They will probably bring back previous characters with different actors (newbies)

DAYS budget during 2003 negotiations was 1.7 million and was reduced to 1.4 million for the new contract. In the late 90's their budget was in around 2 million.

I am really having a hard time grasping a 50% reduction. boggles my mind, because I read that Passions budget (2005) was 765,000 per week. I can't imagine DAYS with a cheaper budget than PSNS :unsure:

• Members

Was that PASSIONS's budget before or AFTER the proposed reduction?

How the hell will DAYS be able to keep on that many expensive actors/actresses on such a paltry budget? DAYS used to be the most expensive soap to produce in daytime because of the price it cost to keep their actors on the show.

I doubt this will help, but maybe Corday/Sony should consider giving SOAPnet a third airing of DAYS. Unless that violates an agreement with NBC.

• Members

Whew. What if the ten does not include those voluntarily leaving? I have read that Billy is definitely leaving so he would count as a volunteer, too.

Leaving by choice:

Missy

Billy Warlock

Kyle Brandt

Jason Cook

Farah Fath

Let go:

Matt Ashford

Brody Huxley

Judi Evans (due to story runs out)

plus seven more

or two more if voluntarily releases and manditory ones count together.

I'd personally chose: Carrie and Austin....off into the sunset like Chloe and Brady.

• Members

Would anyone be really upset if John Black was killed off?

It must be just me: I've never liked the character that much. :lol:

I'm sure Carrie and Austin are quite safe, even though I much preferred Carrie with Mike(Roark Critchlow, or whatever his name is). :lol:

If they cut down on all the special effects, surely that would save some money? :lol::lol:

• Members

Not me, but you have to factor in two things: a) Drake is a team player. Team Player=Lifer who would take a paycut and B ) Popular with offliners. Even if the offliners do make fun of Drake's bad acting and eyebrow raising. If I had to be concerned with ANY major vet leaving, I'd be worried about Deidre Hall if they ask her to take a paycut. Isn't her contract up pretty soon anyhow?

I highly doubt it. From an outsider standpoint(haven't watched regularly since Tom Langan got his mitts on the show), Carrie and Austin have been through everything. Reunion #2 is on the way...what else is there for them? If Christie and Austin are bumped, then that can free money for the budget. And it's not like they are unattractive or old. I'm pretty sure if they give it their best, someone in daytime will hire them. If all else fails, they can suck up to (or suck down on) Michael Bruno, who will whore them to every soap and guest-starring primetime gig.

• Members

I'm pretty sure Dee can be considered a lifer as well. That likely goes for Reynolds and likely Jones by extension. Rogers I could see going to recurring. Same for McCay and Parker.

I'd jump for joy to have Carrie and Austin (mostly Austin) be among the casualties. Doubt it will happen though. Maybe Pinson/Billie.

• Members

Yeah, Deidre's contract is up this month. But, in the last issue of SOD, she claimed that they were "this close" at signing a new contract. So, even if she has to take a paycut, I'm sure she'll stay. In interviews, she said she'd stay on DAYS till the end. What a team player she is. :)

And, as most of you are saying, I would love to see Austin & Carrie go. They are the most boring couple I've ever seen on Days of Our Lives. Sorry, but in my opinion, that's true. :P

EJ can also go. But, it is most likely that Shawn Sr. will probably die.

And, there have been hints that the character of Mickey may return sometime. So, I could see him returning and he and Maggie could maybe move away... Or, just bring Mickey back, and use Mickey & Maggie when needed. And maybe drop Suzanne Rogers to recurring. I also had no idea she was on contract!

• Members

Before, I am sure it's way below that now.

Balance?

DAYS has 23 vets

According to SOD, 10 year vets make 2,500-4,000 per episode (a few make more i.e. Hall, Reckell, Alfonso, Hogestyn) with a guarantee of 1-3 shows per week. Since they are already paying McCay, Rogers, Reid, Jones, Reynolds, Taylor their weekly guaratee, maybe they will start using them, and cutting the 4-5 day a week actors back down to 2-3??

Archived