Welcome! Please take a second to register.

Photo

Should other soaps be rebooted?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#21 beebs

beebs

Contract

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:15 PM

Oddly enough, I'd vote for a reboot of Capitol. I honestly think it has so much potential to be a great, modern topical show IF done right. I really think Conboy & Co. dropped the ball with that show on CBS, and I think it could well if rebooted and modernized, partly because it lacks the fan nostalgia of other popular soaps from the past.

#22 SFK

SFK

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 17,941 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

Oddly enough, I'd vote for a reboot of Capitol. I honestly think it has so much potential to be a great, modern topical show IF done right. I really think Conboy & Co. dropped the ball with that show on CBS, and I think it could well if rebooted and modernized, partly because it lacks the fan nostalgia of other popular soaps from the past.

I had an idea for a Capitol miniseries for SoapNet, totally rewamped with a new cast.  In my version, Sam is a rich, ruthless Ving Rhames-type and biracial Trey is a slick, unscrupulous, Republican BizarrObama running for office.

#23 Khan

Khan

"May I use your telephone?"

• Members
  • 18,367 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:37 PM

In my opinion, the only daytime soap that could be revived effectively is THE EDGE OF NIGHT.  You could re-set the clock, so to speak, and have a new, young Mike Karr, a cop-turned-attorney, working as assistant D.A. in present-day Monticello.  (In my version, however, Sarah's death -- a murder, rather than a car accident -- has occurred already, leaving him to raise Laurie Ann alone, and Sarah's family, a wealthy family with considerable shady connections, keeps attempting to exert their influence over his and his daughter's lives.)

#24 Susan Hunter

Susan Hunter

Recurring

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

The only soap that really lends itself to any kind of modern reboot is Edge of Night.  You can tell 13 week stories all ending in a big splashy trial.  And the continuing story aspect could be a major romantic triangle between young ADA Michael Karr, sweet innocent Sarah Lane, and feisty young reporter Nancy Pollock.  And perhaps a Romeo and Juliet type story between good guy Adam Drake, Mike's best friend and roommate and mob princess Nicole Travis. 

#25 Nothin'ButAttitude

Nothin'ButAttitude

I's married now!

• Members
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:08 PM

I think that they should just take an early soap like Morning Star or Bright Promise, and do a modern spin on it. I do agree that EON would be great for a modern spin, but P&G won't give up rights. Or do a continuation of Generations.

#26 frequentsoapfan

frequentsoapfan

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:50 PM

Rebooting Passions would be a huge joke. Maybe take elements from it like the focus on a younger cast or the focus on women more then men, to use for a better soap but hell no to a rebot. The Direct TV year was the most painful to watch.

#27 Eric83

Eric83

SLAYONCE

• Members
  • 9,409 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:55 PM

Doesn't JER's estate own Passions? Would they be even able to do that without the consent of whoever is over his estate?

And I don't see how random comment is indicative that a new soap is forming. NBC has no hours in the daytime and wouldn't be putting money into a dying genre.

#28 frequentsoapfan

frequentsoapfan

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:58 PM

Doesn't JER's estate own Passions? Would they be even able to do that without the consent of whoever is over his estate?

And I don't see how random comment is indicative that a new soap is forming. NBC has no hours in the daytime and wouldn't be putting money into a dying genre.

Do they still show epis from the different Real Housewives franchises right before DAYS?

#29 Eric83

Eric83

SLAYONCE

• Members
  • 9,409 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:00 PM

Do they still show epis from the different Real Housewives franchises right before DAYS?

No they had bad ratings. And it was a situation like with Katie on ABC where only the NBC owned and operated stations aired it, any other affiliates could air it in markets where NBC didnt own the affiliate.

Edited by Eric83, 07 January 2013 - 11:02 PM.

#30 frequentsoapfan

frequentsoapfan

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:10 PM

No they had bad ratings. And it was a situation like with Katie on ABC where only the NBC owned and operated stations aired it, any other affiliates could air it in markets where NBC didnt own the affiliate.

So what do they air in that spot now? I know it's a hard slot to find something to stick.

#31 saynotoursoap

saynotoursoap

Contract

• Members
  • 614 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:16 PM

It was not Conboy or his company. It was CBS who dropped the ball. CBS wanted a soap about politics and then forbade the producers from telling any stories with a political slant. The story that went on the air was quite different than what the creators and producers intended.

#32 SFK

SFK

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 17,941 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:18 PM

So what do they air in that spot now? I know it's a hard slot to find something to stick.

Where I live, it's Access Hollywood at noon, and after DOOL, it's Steve harvey then Ellen.

#33 Chris B

Chris B

Kylie!!

• Members
  • 8,052 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:57 AM

If Prospect Park were really successful with AMC and OLTL, I wouldn't mind them adding a third soap. I think it's been enough time to do a reboot of ATWT or GL without needing most of those cast members. You could just reboot the series and pick up five years later with one or two families (if that) and focus on an new side of town ala GH/PC.

The SMART soap to reboot/remake would be something potentially edgy like Passions or Edge of Night. I know Edge is old, but the premiere is strong and could draw in male viewers or non-soap fans who like mysteries and procedurals. Passions is popular with younger viewers and it did well on DirecTV, plus I feel it could've been so much more than it was.

Edited by Chris B, 08 January 2013 - 12:58 AM.

#34 jfung79

jfung79

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:24 AM

Stunned at the NBC rumor and hope it's true, though unlikely!

The logical choice of P&G soap to revive on NBC would be Another World since it was on NBC before.  AW is also a soap that still has people churning out fan fiction 14 years after cancellation.  It has also been gone enough time that a "next generation" revival would make sense age-wise, like with Degrassi and Dallas.

Edited by jfung79, 08 January 2013 - 02:26 AM.

#35 JackPeyton

JackPeyton

Star.

• Members
  • 17,659 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:30 AM

the Edge of Night and Dark Shadows would be the most likely to be rebooted, i would think. 

Down the line i could see a new Passions too. 

But i doubt any of this will ever happen. Even with AMC/OLTL this was always the plan, it just took awhile to get it done - if it gets done. 

#36 quartermainefan

quartermainefan

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 6,231 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:33 AM

I think the soap most easily rebooted and modernized is far and way EDGE OF NIGHT.  It has the advantage of being a genre show and can easily be marketed as a mystery show that just so happens to be serialized.  Considering actual TV shows have been exactly that, EON needs like a no brainer.

#37 JackPeyton

JackPeyton

Star.

• Members
  • 17,659 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:36 AM

I wonder if an anthology series could work in daytime today

#38 EricMontreal22

EricMontreal22

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 16,588 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:45 AM

Anthology shows seem to so rarely work--especially on network tv (think of the recent-ish reboot of Twilight Zone, or Fear Itself, etc). 

I never saw it, but I guess MTV's Undresses was kinda an anthology soap, wasn't it? 

Edited by EricMontreal22, 08 January 2013 - 02:46 AM.

#39 JackPeyton

JackPeyton

Star.

• Members
  • 17,659 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:57 AM

Undressed was an anthology series, some stories would run longer but most were 2-3 days or a week.

#40 SFK

SFK

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 17,941 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:07 AM

The Judge and Divorce Court were very soapy anthology series that used to run in daytime.  They were pretty riveting to me as a kid.  Cheesy as hell sometimes, but...  Imagine a revolving door of former soap stars and it could be interesting.  There used to be this anthology series that would air on Sunday mornings that was taped just like a soap, I really wish I could remember what it was called.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users