I always got the sense Mari Lynn was yet another blonde fetish object for Rauch tbqh. And not much else.
And yeah, looking at the very large amount of the classic '80s we now have available it is wild how fast they blew through not just Blair Underwood (who was never going to hang around) but also Lisa Baron/Laura Carrington, the Josh Hall they had on hand, and I think a couple other folks of color in the mid-late '80s IIRC. I understood why Gottlieb dropped Kerry Nichols and Rika Price quickly in '91 though you might've been able to make more use of the great Vanita Harbour as Rika, perhaps as a future foil/adversary to Rachel. You are also right about the rotating white families lol. I still don't understand the Julia Medina relationship with Carlo in the Rauch era, or what that was about. I know she returns in '92 but is crippled? In a coma? What? Didn't Du Ann blackmail her or something? And I know the soap press claimed Gerald Anthony was returning as Marco for Megan's death in '92. It was in print in late '91. I have no idea what happened there, and he turned up on GH less than a year later. I do wonder if he was originally supposed to appear in Atlantic City during Megan's crashout rampage with Cain, where she briefly ran into Jake's pal Lucky instead.
As for late Malone I, I have only revisited a few portions of '94-'96 again recently outside of the DID saga. But from what I have rewatched of '96 I do think Malone was somewhat out of steam by that year. I would not say that for '94-'95, which had a tremendous amount of great story as well as some dross after Gottlieb left in summer '94 (specifically the virus story with Susan Gibney from Star Trek, which I remember well; it's a howler but at least has the last starring role for Ellen Bethea's Rachel). By '96 though, Malone had told his epic tales with Viki and with Todd to conclusion, he had created two final supercouples with both Todd and Blair and Patrick and Marty to add to his already respectable tally (you could also potentially add Antonio/Andy, though I don't think they hold up as well as I thought when I was a kid lol), and Roger Howarth had bolted rather than continue to work with him (and had not yet returned). What do you do after those kind of grand culminations?
By the time you got to '96 you had a tired, widower Max teed up with Crystal Chappell's Maggie Carpenter which was not really doing great story business from what I can see, though I did like JDP and CC together, you had the Dylan/Marty/Patrick/Blair quad mess, and you had the beginnings of what would've been a controversial at best saga with two new recasts (Drew and Rachel) paired up against his retconned racist mom, which would've (according to Malone) led to R.J. being killed off in a whodunit. I don't think any of that would have worked and I'm glad it was aborted. Then there was whatever was going on with the end of Joey, Cord, etc. I don't remember if Malone had a hand in starting the Kevin/Cassie affair build-up, but I don't think so.
By
Vee ·
Create an account or sign in to comment