B&B: March 2024 Discussion Thread

• Members

KKL learnt from the best. Susan was considered a mentor to many young actors on the set. She was their teacher. She understood the business more than anyone ever could. And you can definitely see KKL's acting did improve over the years. But not enough for some people's standards it seems. People are entitled to their opinions I guess.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

She really did. I consider KKL to be the best when she has a female antagonist, someone to fight with. 

With Susan .... These two women had chemistry that needs to be studied in schools. They practically kept the show captivating even through some dark years.

What scenes KKL doesn't shine in are the scenes with the current new Ridge - TK. They lack chemistry and it just feels very fake. 

They need to give Ridge back to Taylor and give Brooke Hollis. 

• Members

So there's no reason to compare, but let's compare??? OK then.

I think the problem is saying Tanner (or any actor) can't act based on particular scenes. I agree that TN wasn't good with the heavy emoting. The faceplay didn't work at all. Still, I think he's a good actor, and he's proven that over the years.

I also disagree that there's no acting in commercials.

Look, I love KKL, but if I isolate her scenes with Thorsten Kaye, I can make a case for calling her a bad actor. I can call out the lack of chemistry and not blame it all on her. I can call out her not selling the romance and for not making a bland script work. I can call out her sing-song voice and her vocal fry. I don't do any of that because KKL is more than her scenes with TK.

• Members

ITA that KKL does not have the same chemistry with TK  that she had with RM (whether he was the best actor or not). When they reunited Brooke and Ridge AGAIN after the promising Brooke/Taylor friendship that was suddenly dropped, I just shook my head. I feel like Ridge is an albatross around Brooke's neck (and Taylor's) at this point. The character just can't develop as long as they have her running after him like a lovestruck teenager, and KKL deserves so much better. I actually much preferred her with Bill than I did this version of Ridge. I thought that at least Brooke and Bill had some chemistry, and their relationship felt more "adult." Brooke should still be causing scandals all in the pursuit of her "destiny" and she should have a younger rival to echo Stephanie/Brooke, someone she hates because she reminds her so much of herself. THIS should be the character that is pursuing RJ, in my opinion, instead of "perfect" "amazing" "beautiful" Luna. At the least, this anti-heroine should be Luna's rival for RJ's affections.

It may be a controversial opinion, but I think Ridge, as a character, has outgrown his usefulness. TK is a great actor, but there's only so much he can do with this material. Ridge is just a smug narcissist who thinks the whole world revolves around him, and the way the show is written...IT DOES. I think Ridge's death would have the potential to really shake up the show in a good way and send all of the characters in a new and different direction.

I think TN is a suitable soap actor as Finn, even a bit better than Ronn Moss was back in the day.  I know he and Steffy have a lot of fans, but he's just a little too "basic white boy" to me. He's handsome in like a Wonderbread kind of way, like we're SUPPOSED to think he's handsome because he checks certain boxes (abs, etc) but a real personality for the character isn't there at all. He's just a bland handsome doctor. You could pluck just about any soap actor around the same age from any of the shows right now, and that person could immediately play Finn IMO. The character could be interchangeable with any actor. And, now that it looks like we're getting Finn/Hope...yawn. Just when Hope was getting interesting by shedding some of her "good girl-ness."

Even though they've ruined the character now, I think the actor who plays Zende....and also Carter are much more intriguing, but they don't fit the "white leading man" I think the show believes it MUST have despite a HUGE part of the daytime audience being AA. The Carter/Quinn story was the hottest one the show had told IN YEARS, but they ruined it and then dropped it. Now, poor Carter just pops up in scenes at Forrester to be told that he's "like family" and stands next to Katie at parties, which, I assume means they're still dating??? I guess???

Hell, even Hollis at Deacon's restaurant is more interesting to me than Finn. He should be pursuing Brooke...and then we find out he's Ridge's son from an affair he had with a model. 

• Members
Posted (edited)

I didn't want to say it, but I see some people want to hear it. I was being very polite yesterday.

If I have to be really honest - Tanner's acting is some of the worst acting I've seen in my life and I am an actor myself with a degree and lots of theatre and tv experience. Like literally some of the worst.

When I watch the episodes with my husband, he refers to him as - oh that always naked guy. 

And the past episodes he had the chance to really do some acting and he failed miserably. With a level of meme worthy bad acting I have only seen Ronn do. Even worse as someone mentioned.

Sorry, BUT not sorry, for me having an honest opinion. 

Edited by Althea Davis

• Members
Posted (edited)

This soap has gone down the tubes! How do you know? When posters are discussing whether Tanner is a good actor or not. Tanner is average/below average at best. The last month or so his acting hasn't been good. I'm so glad I dropped the soap. I was tired of Bradley's stupid overhyped awful writing.

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

Exactly what I said at the beginning of this character. He’s a character you just don’t dislike him but - kinda bland personality.  Like Andrew Shue on Melrose - please Allisthunnnn. Just meh.  Great to look at and my dog Truvy loves him - she goes apeshit when she hears his voice.  She connects him with Bibberty and the Liberty Music….and gets confused because she connects it with the Liberty dog walker one with the barking dogs and rabbit. She hears his voice and barks thinking it might be the dogs or the Liberty music.

and I’ve griped for years about KKLs baby talk whispery thing. I don’t remember people agreeing with me. 

• Members

And really, that's enough. Anyone who watched Melrose Place remembers Billy and Andrew Shue. He was no Emmy winner, but he was solid, and he was perfect for the character.

I hesitate to keep this discussion going, but I think the Tanner Novlan criticism is overboard. Calling him a "basic white boy" and "Wonderbread" is cringe, especially since BOLD is a show FILLED with actors who are no better than TN.

Delon DeMetz (Zende) is no better than Tanner Novlan. Lawrence Saint-Victor (Carter) is no better than Tanner Novlan. Joshua Hoffman (RJ) is no better than Tanner Novlan. I don't think any of them are any more intriguing than Novlan.

I've already stated that I don't think TN was good in the scenes that needed heavy emoting. Also true? I've yet to see the other actors I mentioned be good in any scenes requiring that heavy emoting.

Bottom line is that I think it's more than fine to judge TN's or anyone else's acting in a story/scenes. I don't think it's fair to pull this "basic white boy" bullsh*t.

• Members

@ranger1rg

All the actors you mentioned are all about their bodies and not acting skills.

Carter scenes during Sheila death were laughable. Talking about his sources and sh!t was just bad.

Andrew Shue was adorable as Billy. I can't believe what's her name cheated on him. Crazy! I'd have him in bed all day!

Please register in order to view this content