GH: March 2024 Discussion Thread

• Members

As others have pointed out, any NAC interview trashing GH would have been plastered here and everywhere else. Why do people believe this kind of crap?

Roger Howarth's firing? I don't know how anyone would know the truth about why he was let go. This story about his being "fired" over Frank's head is also a load of crap.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Posted (edited)

Exactly. I've said it before and I'll say it again: They ran out the clock and only played them as much as they absolutely had to because the couple was not supposed to be a hit and Frank was afraid of alienating racist viewers. Hopefully PM's penchant for diversity will change some of this; his commitment to the Ashford story resolution was already clear to me.

Edited by Vee

• Members
Posted (edited)

I'm catching up but a few quick thoughts: They were so unsubtle about chemistry testing Drew and Nina last week it is wild, lol. Him helping her with her computer and her getting him coffee for his trouble when psycho eyes Drew wanted to wear her face as a mask like Leatherface two weeks ago. But I'm for the 180, because they definitely have some heat while trading more fun and less intense barbs than before even if I have no desire to see either of them continue on the show long-term. (Drew at least would need another recast and a break, even if CM has finally brought back the hot beard and looks very good.) The dialogue has already improved so much that Cam even got off a great line that almost reminded me of his early days on AMC: “It’s the Peter Principle in action! You’ve advanced to your level of incompetence.” @Khan, weigh in when you see these scenes!

Sue me but the Laura/Heather unlikely bond kind of works for me given the Webber family history and their past connection that is easily reviewable on YouTube, and now that AM has calmed down some and truly engages with Genie on a real level (and they fixed her hair). Surely if they'd just given cobalt madness to Franco that would have worked out! But I'll give it a shot. It's a strange, interesting interplay and Heather becoming cousin Laura's kooky talk-to could be fascinating.

I'll get to the rest shortly but for now suffice to say Willow was clearly willing to let Michael take the fall for those drugs so she could spend more time with Jason and/or Drew. I did like him talking about his prison time and the rape.

Edited by Vee

• Members
Posted (edited)

Now that I'm caught up I'll just reiterate that the focus on character is also refreshingly strong along with the dialogue. They're playing uncommon family beats with parents, children, relations and friends, setting up the next generation like we've all talked about lately - but even stuff like Cody and Olivia (or Cody and the frickin' horse!) or the Deception shenanigans sings to me lately. Drew and Nina's chemistry is substantial and their barbs are fun and not just psycho, when I usually have zero use for either character; the BLQ/Chase and Willow/Michael material feels increasingly more adult when I usually found them snoozeworthy. The Lucy/Sasha stuff on Friday was shockingly mature. Tracy and BLQ's bond is great, Maxie feels alive for the first time in years. Stuff just works. I look forward to the show and I don't tune 75% of it out.

It helps tremendously that PM has evidently got the pull to let scenes breathe and run longer again. Many segments are not just the typical Valentini 50-90 seconds, character-based conversations are actually had, monologues are given. Like Trina's very good stuff about grief yesterday both with Stella and the excellent extended segment at Spencer's grave. Folks who keep claiming TA is 'green' compared to Sydney Mikayla who I don't think did anything with a fraction of the depth Ali has shown still baffle me. Whatever goes down with Chavez returning or not in spring I'll be shocked if TA doesn't get big story following this because it shows significant investment in her and her skill. Joss, Frank's preferred star, has not had an extended series of solo monologue segments like this in recent memory.

It's also nice to see my earlier suspicions confirmed: Wagger (who I may soon regrettably have to call Cates) is Jason's handler at the FBI, running him on a leash with Jason infiltrating the shadow outfit to get to whoever Pikeman/the big bad is (I still suspect Ava is in it up to her neck, recent simpering for Sonny aside - neither being OOC for her with bad men). There will be the predictable outrage at the scheming feds, etc etc. when this comes out but the point is he's not a black hat. If they wanted to make Jason relatively tolerable for me going forward they'd keep him on that federal leash, though I doubt that'll happen. I've said for years Scorpio and the WSB should have drafted Jason with a deal to work for them or go to Supermax for life. A role Drew could've easily and less reluctantly filled when CM first arrived.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Reading @Vee’s comments, I wanted to add something I noticed on Friday. Since the change, I am enjoying watching characters I had zero use for. And that is just because the scripts are better and the scenes longer and full of character.

Nina has come to life in a way that justifies having someone like Watros play her. Willow has all of a sudden become more real, and she and Michael felt more like a married couple than they ever have. Drew sparked in those scenes with both of them.

I am very realistic about any soap in 2024 reaching the storytelling glory of the old days. But the show is giving even the duds actual characters, and it helps the watchability. I am excited to see down the road how the show feels, and that’s rare these days.

I am really sick of Sonny already though. He’s everywhere and it’s not enjoyable watching him struggle at times to connect with scene partners.

• Members

As someone who has only come back recently. It’s literally like night and day with how long scenes are now. Things are actually breathing in these conversations. The old way made the show so hard for me to invest in because as soon as I was getting into a scene they’d do a jump cut to commercial or the next scene.

I never saw the original Jagger so I’m fine with any character that hates Sonny.

• Members

Same. I'm fine with this Cates guy. He's dreamy to look at. I hope he's paired in a hot sex scene soon. However, I don't want it to be with Anner in her pencil skirt. Maybe Jordan? They'd be hot. Not sure about Carly or Nina with that guy.

• Members
Posted (edited)

Peace has no say in story direction regardless - she was just a day to day breakdown writer. Unless she had the stature of Mulcahey himself (in previous roles) or what Michele Val Jean once had (which she doesn’t), this will have no impact on the overall show or the characters featured (unless PM/EK or Valentini/ABC have plans we’re not yet familiar with). 

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members
Posted (edited)

We don't know that it will have no impact. Theoretically, for example, if a weak writer was replaced by a stronger writer, then, yes, the new writer would write better breakdowns. But, it is certainly true that neither breakdown nor script writers or a story editor, any of them, at all have impact on story. This is really hard to say! Only the HWs decide what stories to tell & which characters are featured, etc. but everyone knows this, I think. 

Edited by Contessa Donatella
more