R.I.P.: Bridget Dobson another brutal loss of one of daytime's finest

• Members

I think that this is true about the way things were with AW but I also wonder if that could have been changed. 

Yep. I'm sure that is why NBC blocked P&G's plan to have them HW the show in spring 1993. The Dobsons thought it was because NBC wanted the timeslot for another show & that is also true. They did. 

Here I disagree. Eden's rape, hard though it was to watch was classic, iconic wonderful storytelling & exactly what lesson about rape needed to be put into the soap group mind. 

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I said it before, but The Dobson’s appeared to need a really strong EP to collaborate with, to support them, and to ground their material. That’s why I think their creative marriage with Allen Potter was so successful on GL. They didn’t have the same caliber producers on ATWT, and yes, on their own creation, SaBa.

• Members

They also needed a sponsor and network who allowed them to write what they wrote best and not chase trends, which, clearly, was what they were doing when they wrote stuff like "Barbara Back in Time" or "Tom and Margo vs. Mr. Big."

• Members

May she rest in peace.

Her GL was brilliant!

Her ATWT was unfortunately not as good.

Her different SB was just dreadful. I'm surprised it last as long as it did. Her premonition of it being cancelled came true. The Digest awards and Emmys delayed its cancellation. 

• Members
Posted (edited)

I wouldn't say SaBa was dreadful.  (If you wanna talk about a soap that was dreadful, look no further than PASSIONS, lol).  SaBa had plenty going for it, once they worked out most of the kinks.  I just think the bean counters at NBCD and New World Television mucked it all up in the end.

I remember reading a WATN interview with former OLTL HW Peggy O'Shea, where she talked about her time as a consultant on SaBa.  TPTB asked her to watch the show for awhile and then give her thoughts.  She said she told them there was nothing wrong with the show and to leave it alone.  "So, of course," she said, "they went and changed everything."

Edited by Khan

• Members
Posted (edited)

Was there any reason why the Dobsons chose to begin Santa Barbara with a murder mystery? Were they fans of Henry Slesar or the Edge of Night or something? Watching the mystery drag on over the show's first year, I'm not sure if that kind of thing was really their forte. 

It's interesting, for their own show, they chose to go with stuff that they weren't as strong writing, teen hijinks and murder mysteries/ crime. If those elements were toned down, perhaps  the show might have been better, especially in the beginning. 

Edited by Jdee43

• Members

Also dreadful a fair amount of the time was BEACH. (Sunset Beach) I mean the turkey baster storyline, why the hell was that not considered 1st degree assault? And, the Poseidon Adventure? Really? A story arc within a daytime soap that reboots that movie? What were they thinking? And, from the get-go why target the youth market & ask the affiliates to show it at noon? 

• Members

@Khan I don't know if you saw the Entertainment Tonight Y&R 50th anniversary special, but there was a segment on social issue storylines where Lauralee Bell talked about Cricket's date rape and how Bill Bell wanted to tell that story properly. I got the impression that Lauralee Bell was taking a swipe at how other soaps told rape storylines and I think one of the rape storylines she was swiping was Santa Barbara Eden.

• Members

I agree.  I also thought the inherent class conflicts in the beginning (between the Perkinses and Andrades and the Capwells and Lockridges) were a smart way to build a new soap, but I probably would have concentrated just on two: the blue-collar, Hispanic Andrades and the rich, eccentric Lockridges.

Rita Stapleton Bauer is so fascinating to me.  As I said years ago, Rita basically was a decent person, but with one major flaw: the truth just wasn't in her, lol.  Like with OLTL's Tina, though, I never thought she lied with the intent of hurting people.  Rather, she lied, but she lied for the right reasons.

I'd love to read that novel someday.