R.I.P.: Bridget Dobson another brutal loss of one of daytime's finest

• Members

Ironically, I think a major reason why SaBa told their rape story was to take a swipe at Laura's rape on GH.  But the twist of having her rapist turn out to be her gynecologist was just so tasteless that it ruined the rest of the story for me.  Only a man (Chuck Pratt?) would think that would be an okay way to wrap up a rape story.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Agreed. That was just a perfect melding of character and actress. And Julia-Lane Davies Mason remains one of my favorite soap pairings.

I think the Dobsons' Santa Barbara had (many) moments of sheer brilliance sandwiched in between a fair amount of substandard material, and the inconsistency was its downfall.

• Members

I love this assessment of Rita, and I agree. Another character that comes to mind is Peyton Place's Betty Anderson, in the early years at least. Those women live in their own minds, and you never really "know" them, if that makes sense. There's always a feeling of they're trying the best they can to "be good," but their very valid needs and desires are in conflict with what people think is "good" for them.

• Members

Babies! When we just celebrated an EON date I posted a picture of Sharon Rose Gabet that is the youngest I've ever seen, so of course she came to the forum that day. She said she calls pictures like that "Baby Raven".  We had a good laugh. Same has happened in the past with very very young pix of Maureen Garrett & of Ellen Wheeler. 

• Members

LD was fortunate to have two great pairings on SaBa: one, with Harley Jane Kozak's Mary; the other, with NLG's Julia.  Sweet Mary was such a delicious contrast to tortured Mason, while Julia stimulated him intellectually and sexually through 1930's-style wit while keeping his ego in check.

I agree!

The thing is, if SaBa had been more consistent - if the writers had taken more care to craft solid storylines and not just great episodes (that could help them win more Emmys) - would the show have been as special?  I think you could glimpse some of what I mean in the final year with Pamela K. Long as HW.  For the first time in I-didn't-know-when, SaBa was making a concerted effort to be more traditional and tell long-term stories with impact - B.J.'s sexual abuse tale comes to mind - but in the process, a lot of the quirks and eccentricities that had come to define SaBa were evaporating.  Even Mason and Julia weren't as delightfully screwball as they had been before.

It does, and you are absolutely correct, @All My Shadows!

Man!  Now I'm wishing (again!) for someone to reboot/revive/re-whatever PP for a streaming outlet!  As iconic as the original series was, I think it's the kind of property - locale, characters, overall themes, etc. - that would play just as well today with modern audiences as it did back in the '50's and '60's.

• Members

Another anti-heroine who fits that bill (IMO)?  EON's Raven.  Especially in the beginning, before Sky Whitney gave her what she wanted most: someone who loved her and understood her needs, but never wanted to tie her down.  (That brief monologue she gives about how she came to re-naming herself is just so good, lol).