R.I.P.: Bridget Dobson another brutal loss of one of daytime's finest

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I was looking at my list of favorite writers: 

Lemay, Labine, Curlee, Swajeski, Hurst, Mulcahey, the Dobsons, Marland, Val Jean, CCulliton, Falken Smith, Bell, Nixon & Phillips. 15. I like writers. 15 is probably a lot. So sue me. 

Since Bridget has died, now I count only 7 among the living. And only one of them is currently employed as a soap writer! 

Truly it is the end of an era. 

• Members

Thanks...I think that PG was not happy with what they were doing...which was recycling (poorly) their GL storylines...John/Dee/Brad vs. Roger/Holly/Ed marital rape storyline...James/Barbara vs. Alan/Hope powerful amoral outsider with core family daughter.  Helen Wagner quit at this time...etc... they did not do what they did with GL, preserve the core family while giving the show a shot in the arm with new families and "contemporary" topics. Unfortunately the replacement writers were even worse.  I would like to know how MEB got the prickly Bridget (who, God love her..seemed to be a pain in the a** sometimes.) to agree to come back. 

• Members
Posted (edited)

Stumbled upon this article from April of last year. I had no idea Jerry Dobson was still so creatively active. The play was also directed by and starred Lane Davies.

The subject matter is close to home for Jerry, lol.

Hollywood writer taps into soap-opera experience in Prague drama premiere

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

https://soaphub.com/days-of-our-lives/news-days/nancy-lee-grahn-a-martinez-and-more-pay-tribute-to-santa-barbara-creator-bridget-dobson/

Lane Davies played Mason Capwell, firstborn son to C.C. Capwell (Jed Allan) and leading man to Nancy Lee Grahn on-screen. “Bridget was possessed of an indomitable spirit, irrepressible creativity, and a truly wicked sense of humor,” Davies shared on Instagram. “Together with her husband of 60-plus years, Jerry, she gave us some of the most memorable moments and characters in the history of Daytime Television. She will be sorely missed by all who were lucky enough to have known her.”

The Dobsons cast A Martinez as Cruz Castillo, the show’s leading man who was paired opposite Marcy Walker’s Eden Capwell. “Bridget and her husband Jerry eventually ascended into the realm of legend,” Martinez, who won the Daytime Emmy for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series in 1990, wrote on Facebook. “As is always the case with great writers who will not be denied, their obsession to build their own world –– and share it ––delivered emotional medicine for years to millions of people around the world, and the power of that medicine lingers to this day. Thank you, Bridget. May a warm wind carry you always.”

“Bridget Dobson and her husband Jerry hired me to play the most curious, absorbing, complex, inspiring, character of my career,” Grahn posted on Instagram referring to the part of Julia Wainwright Capwell. (Grahn won the Daytime Emmy for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series in 1989 for playing Julia.)

“Realizing the role of Julia Wainwright, having the privilege of feeling my way through this beautifully constructed character’s relationship with herself and others was life-altering for me,” Grahn continued. “It advanced me as an actress and a woman. It introduced 140 some countries to me and me to them and it set the path to a career that has so far lasted 38 yrs. The effect just one person can have on your life is quite extraordinary. Rest in greatness, Bridget and thank you.”

• Members

I just recently started rewatching the first months of the show and hadn't seen any of these episodes since I was a kid. While a lot of the show is rough around the edges these first few months(the silly teen story, Sophia not at all convincingly dressing as a man, the Perkins parents, actors not working out as CC, etc.) the spark that made some characters so unique and interesting with the writing and their portrayers is already there. Mason's sharp-tongued dialogue, Lionel and Augusta's marriage, and Cruz are already standouts in the first couple of months. I'm so looking forward to Julia's introduction.