SOD is ending it's weekly print edition

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

This issue is a three-week issue.
Cover date "Nov.  27 – Dec. 17, 2023  Triple Issue"

I get TV Guide Magazine digitally for free from my public library's website using my library card for their periodical section, via libbyapp.com
From there, I use the search function on each issue to look for "daytime" to find soaps spoilers.   Every couple of months they've been publishing a spoiler for one of the soaps, usually just big things like a wedding, or gala.

The new issue has a two-page spread which encompasses all four soaps, which I hadn't seen before. 

Edited by janea4old

• Members

Thanks for thinking of me Jane!

TV Guide was actually the first magazine I started collecting, before I had ever watched Days, in the 1980's. That is my longest-running collection, although a little incomplete, with just 140 issues missing from 1953-Present, so a 70-year collection!

So, that, plus my complete sets of Soap Opera Digest and Soap Opera Weekly, are the three magazines in my collection.

• Members

I appreciate all the information about how the TV Guide print magazine has evolved over the years. I would probably still buy it, since it is still being published, except that it has not been sold in Canada for decades.

I used to look forward to the Fall Preview issue every year, in which the magazine would preview the score of new television shows coming that season.

If it is now including coverage of the soaps, I'd say that it a good idea, considering there are no other paper versions of any actual soap magazines these days.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Members
Posted (edited)

Filed under there are always multiple reasons for failure.

Today we learned that if AMI hadn't paid over $500,000 to bury stories for Donald Trump resulting in a federal fine of $187,000.00, perhaps they could've afforded to keep the print edition of SOD.

Not that I'm grieving the loss, but it is a remarkable context, beyond the fact that there are fewer soaps which has been true for more than a decade.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/23/nyregion/national-enquirer-trump-trial-david-pecker.html?smtyp=cur&smid=tw-nytimes

As The Enquirer’s parent company at the time, American Media, admitted in a “non-prosecution” deal with the federal government in 2018: “AMI knew that corporations such as AMI are subject to federal campaign finance laws, and that expenditures by corporations, made for purposes of influencing an election and in coordination with or at the request of a candidate or campaign, are unlawful.”

The deal helped secure Tuesday’s testimony.

(The Federal Election Commission later hit The Enquirer’s parent company with fines of $187,000; Mr. Trump’s campaign escaped sanction.)

Edited by j swift

• Members
Posted (edited)

They might have been able to do, if the publisher hadn't spent $30,000.00 paying off the doorman at Trump Tower to suppress the story that the former president had fathered a child with his housekeeper out of wedlock (which later proved to be false).

Edited by j swift

• Members

Jason47 is very kind to offer the services of his scanner, because AMI's scanners were busy creating false images of Ted Cruz's father and Lee Harvey Oswald in order to help Trump win the election in 2016

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/national-enquirer-ted-cruz-father-rafael-lee-harvey-oswald-rcna149027

“We mashed the photos and the different picture with Lee Harvey Oswald. And mashed the two together. And that’s how that story was prepared — created I would say," Pecker said on the witness stand.

Which is why I think the foolishness that @DramatistDreamer references is actually part of their business plan, and I would not count on them to preserve anything.  Nor would I spend a dime to access their archives.

Edited by j swift