Bird App Alternatives

• Members

I'm amazed to see people talking about going to Bluesky. People are acting like Twitter was perfect before Musk bought it. It wasn't. It was still a haven for bigots, bots, and trolls. I mean for goodness sake, Jack Dorsey is backing RFK. Why would anyone give that man access to their data a second time?

It's like watching people get back together with a bad boyfriend.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I could tell that the jounobros in the media pretty much decided that that Bluesky was their preferred destination which is another reason I have no interest. The Washington Post did a whole puff piece about how cool Bluesky is.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2023/04/28/bluesky-social-twitter-dril-aoc/ (paywall)

IMO, Twitter is a big part of the problem with journalism. It's turned national media into lazy click junkies and narcissists. 

• Members

What’s with the invitation-only social media platforms? Are they afraid to handle many signups all at once? Or do they believe that if they create an air of exclusivity that it will create more interest? The more I have read about it, the more I am convinced that BlueSky is a definite NO for me.

I have managed to avoid the Facebook industrial complex for 20 years and I don’t intend to get ensnared in it now, at this point.

• Members

Whatever the reason, I don’t like it, especially when it goes beyond the normal beta testing period and goes on indefinitely. If accounts are in violation of the terms of use, kick them off, otherwise, make it an open platform (like a library or any public resource). These are not the days of Studio 54.

I remember the days of Clubhouse that started off as an invitation-only hot ticket. Where is it now these days? It’s around but who actually still uses it now?

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

The media has hyped Meta’s Threads as the next “Twitter Killer” but apparently it won’t be available in the EU at this point since it is considered a “privacy nightmare”.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/meta-s-threads-app-is-a-privacy-nightmare-that-won-t-launch-in-eu-yet/ar-AA1dsKOB

• Administrator

The "Data Link to You" that Meta may collect from you for Threads is the same as Instagram and Facebook.  So if you have one or both of those apps, you wouldn't really care about "privacy" if you want to try Threads.  I have both so I will definitely take a look at Threads.