Bird App Alternatives

• Members

Is anyone having any luck with any of the new microblogging sites?

I've tried Post, but it is mostly news and information without an interactive community of comments.

Mastodon feels underdeveloped and underpopulated.

And I just got an invitation to Bluesky, but I haven't signed up yet.

I want something that is intelligent and provocative without being incendiary and poorly monitored for falsehoods.  And although I am entertained by TikTok it mostly feels like a self-created ad machine

Edited by j swift

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I have two accounts on Spoutible but I haven’t spouted a single thing yet and I started my first account on the first day and my second later in the first week. Technically I am in that first wave of accounts, except I haven’t actively posted anything yet.

The proprietor of Spoutible is experiencing a flood of new people starting accounts since Twitter began barring access to tweets.

There are some notable people who joined Spoutible but no official news organizations, which is an issue for me, a news junkie.

And as much as I criticize the media, I would like some arts and entertainment media outlets on there. I think some well known bloggers have set up accounts but haven’t really begun to use them. This latest series of foolhardy maneuvers by Musk may provide incentive for them to start using their accounts.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

You’re not allowed to post unless you verify your identity. You can open accounts but that doesn’t mean you will be able to post unless and until you verify your identity. Also, so far, accounts that violate the rules get their account(s) terminated pretty quickly.

It will be interesting to see if with the crush of new people coming onto the platform, if moderation will be as quick, with fixes of any bugs or dispatching accounts that violate terms.

Also, I think two accounts might be the limit for accounts that you can create, but I am not totally certain.

• Members

Which is a positive; however, I've noticed a glitch: you cannot change your profile image once it is uploaded. And keep getting alerts of 40+ notifications, when there are none. hmm. Hopefully they can fix that up. But, so far, it's a cute platform.

edit; got it to work, haha. It was the file's name. LOL.

Edited by Liberty City

• Members

Yeah, Christopher and his small staff have been working on fixing issues as they surface. I think there is a way to contact them directly if you have an issue but it may take some time these days  because they are now inundated with brand new users and he said that he doesn’t want to do what BlueSky is doing, which is to halt new user accounts.

• Members

What sad is, as Twitter clearly flops, there is now some sort of attack on Spoutible’s systems. Users who clearly started accounts in the last 24 hours, spouting vitriol, demanding that Christopher kill himself and spouting hate against LGBTQ+ people. A few accounts begging to be banned and spouting more hate. They really don’t want this man’s venture to succeed and are doing all they can to sabotage it. Things were peaceful for 6 months and now this, sadly.

• Members

That's disgusting.  Absolutely disgusting.

I may look at it, but given that I'm not a fan of IG and its interface, this'll likely be a no-go for me.

I've heard mixed things about Spill.  The other problems with all of these new platforms is how unreliable and unpredictable they are going to be.