Y&R July 2023 Discussion Thread

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I believe Jill was alone from when she got exposed by Katherine for seeing both Rex and John at the same time until she was interested in Blade but Blade was drawn to Ashley. In the interim Jill tried to get back with John, that was when she exposed Dina for lying about an illness when Dina was actually broke.

Victor/Jill hookup they were both alone (Victor marriage to Ashley ended and Victor tried to reconcile with Nikki but Nikki decided to remain married to Jack as she was pregnant by Jack) and the seeds had been planted earlier (Summer 1989 episodes and in a 1991 episode we saw during the classics they appeared intrigued by each other) but for Victor it was a diversion yet Jill thought she would be the next Mrs. Newman. A Victor/Jill pairing would have been more 1990s business power couple than genuine love. 

Randy Brooks was gone in the early months of 1994. As we all know, Shemar Moore arrived that spring and when he blew up in popularity, Bill Bell lost interest in Nathan.

Edited by kalbir

• Members

It’s amazing how well the 1992 episode holds up 31 years later and how well everything was nicely tied together even at the time and was a nice glimpse into everything. 

Olivia was pregnant with Nate but dealing with cancer/anemia at the same time. It’s nice to see the Barber sisters and their men are accepted as an extension of the Abbott family via Mamie and not completely isolated. 

Traci & Brad’s marriage unraveling. As for Brad and his speedo, lol anything to show off Diamond’s body lol.

Ryan’s unspoken nervousness to Nina about who all was going to be at the Abbott picnic as a classic dramatic score played…obviously he was worried about seeing Victoria. 

Jack and Victor being MIA from the event despite John’s invitations, both obviously coming off the heels of Victor’s heart attack. Meanwhile a lonely Ashley looks longing at young Chance while envious of Colleen. 

It’s good to see Carol in this too although her time was winding down by this point. 

I do wonder why the show hasn’t acknowledged Beau Kazer’s passing at all either? Seems like something easy that could be done with Jill, Esther, and Kelly Kruger Mac while Tucker, Devon and Chance lament the fact they didn’t spend enough time with Brock as they should have. 

• Members

I just got a chance to watch, courtesy of the vault. What that video file lacks in visual sharpness, it makes up for with commercials of the day the episode aired. I enjoyed it.
At first, it made me a bit sad to see so many actors who we’ve obviously lost over recent years but as I delved deeper into the story, I found that it was enjoyable to revisit this time.

Ashley and Brad appeared to be peeping each other out and we can figure out that Ryan’s thoughts are occupied with more than seeing Abbotts at the picnic. The Young and the Restless did something you know the current writers would be loathe to do-acknowledge the actual times we’re living in. It was obvious that Neil’s monologue was a nod to the police brutality of Rodney King and the subsequent riots in response to the verdict. KSJ really made an unimpeachable case for his character being included in my soap character Hall Of Fame speeches during the holidays. The singing afterwards towed the line, in terms of almost being too much but considering the occasion, it was appropriate, I think. But at least back then, the show wasn’t afraid to acknowledge the real world, for better and for worse.

• Members

They cut Neil's entire speech from today's broadcast.  CBS had to cut something to allow for more ads in 2023  and *that* is what they chose. 

I don't think they cut anything else.  Just Neil's speech.

Neil's speech was the highlight of the episode for me.  But of course CBS too scared to air it now.  His speech is a little over four minutes of meaningful fire.

Edited by janea4old