General Hospital: July 2023 Discussion Thread

• Members

I don’t really agree it’s just part of the job, because soap fans are often delusional.  They call the actors by the character’s names to their faces.  They rant at actors in very derogatory ways about storylines they have zero control over. 

I know this is just how it is online. I just don’t think it is how it should be. But at the same time, the daytime writing staffs now are shadows of what they used to be.

As much as I love Liz, she has no business attacking Joss looking at her own poor relationship decisions.  And she knows it. Liz isn’t Carly, who would totally insert herself into this teenage drama.

I actually think it is in character for Liz to show Joss some grace, and for Laura to have empathy for Esme, no matter how awful I find both characters.

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

@titan1978 I agree that internet shouldn't be that way as well.  Soaps fan have been delusional for years like that though.  Attacking actors in grocery stores, writing letters, calling into the studio.  Now it's just easier to access these people and find these writers on the team that wouldn't necessarily be in the spotlight years ago.  I am not trying to defend these delusional people at all.  I am just saying as a writer on a soap opera she should have been prepared for these sorts of insults.  It's not a new behavior.   I do think it's part of the job in this day and age.  Every soap writer pretty much deals with these tweets now.  It doesn't make it right, but it is the reality of it.  And she in turn has every right to defend herself.   I just don't think it will make a difference and will probably get her more attention and make her more of a target. 

As far as Liz, I would actually think she would stay out of the Joss stuff not only because she has empathy, but because Cameron is doing really well.  I know I would rather have my child on a soccer team at Stanford than hanging around town to date Josslyn Jax.

• Members

I think it’s different in this case. That’s her child. And a parent has the right to not be fair when their child is hurt, especially when they’re hurt by someone who says they care, but clearly doesn’t 

Now, if only Liz could tell her that

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by AbcNbc247

• Members

It would be funny if she was like, "good luck dating Sonny's lackey!  My sons going to graduate from an ivy league school!"  It would be hypocritical, but worth it to me! 

Also, if Joss can dip into her trust fund why couldn't she just buy Carly's house and let her live in it.  If the deeds in Joss's name and you can take gifts or business from your family can't she just charge Carly some rent and be done with it?   It honestly seems less sketchy than her buying Kelly's for a dollar.

• Members

I understand where you're coming from, but to out-right say a lot of things that have been said, especially on social media, are disgusting and sometimes, they cannot be avoided, especially when in today's day and age where a "For You" and "Recommend"-type columns are forcibly put upon you on social media.

Ms. Peace made it known they're open to criticism and welcome it, but when it crosses from criticism to flat=out being nasty, that's when it's something they don't want to hear... and they honestly shouldn't. I mean, like @titan1978 said, soaps fans are delusional, especially on social media, and I have to say, the most delusional and unhinged are General Hospital "fans" (hence why I use quotation marks).

Peace even stated (as I always suspected): "The fact is, there are countless factors that determine the production of a television show (especially one with fast-moving parts like GH). Our hardworking writing team isn't in sole control of every aspect of our storytelling, but we do work incredibly hard to deliver what we're asked to." Again, they are asked to write things, and as I suspect (and long have based on what other writers have stated), Disney-ABC and TPTB above General Hospital nix things from being written.

It's about how things are said, especially online. There are ways to say things and there are ways to not say things and, 98% of the time, the ways things are not to be said are what is actually said. Intentionally seeking out actors and writers, tagging them (especially when they originally weren't), for the intent of hurting them, is absolutely disgusting.

One poster commented this:

❝ Hi Shannon! I've been a viewer most of my life and no matter if I like or dislike a storyline or character, I know that there's something for everyone and it's not going to be me every time. Thank you for sharing this and I hope people will be kinder moving forward (but it's the internet so

Please register in order to view this content

). I don't know if you have any hand in it but I love Sante, Vanna, and Jex currently. I like healthy couples who support each other and whose obstacles are not cheating or lying. Having said that, it's been a long time since we had a good torrid love affair storyline so I'd love a big dramatic one that will have us screaming at our TVs. But not one of these 3 couples that I mentioned I hope the writers get what they deserve!! ❞

And Peace's response was actually positive in response.

❝ Thank you for telling me what/who you’re digging and for being so measured when expressing what you want more of!

Man, if only all viewers were like the fans here! ❞

Can you imagine how much different the response could have been had they said something along the lines of "I hate this f**king couple. Why are you writing them this way? You're horrible at this! I don't like this. I hate this," etc.

Another wrote:

❝ Ms. Peace, thank you for your thoughtful post and for giving fans insight into the behind-the-scenes process of writing for daytime. I was raised watching soaps and have been a GH fan for nearly 30 years. I’m an editor and fundamentally believe words matter and portrayal of characters and social issues is important, no matter the medium.

I have been frustrated and upset with Esme’s redemption arc because I feel the optics of how race and privilege are intersecting without the character having faced justice (yet) are hard to watch. That said, I also know daytime stories take time to unfold and many factors go into bringing a show to air. So I am hopeful justice will prevail.

I am also incredibly invested in Sprina’s love story, and I adore Vanna’s romance! Sante grows on me every time I see them together. Ms. Tracey Q will always be a queen (who writes her one liners, haha!), I am always so excited to see what Cyrus has up his sleeve, and I cannot wait to find out who’s behind Pikeman.

Anyway, if you made it to the end of this, thank you for reading and for taking the time to communicate with fans! You and your team don’t have easy jobs—I hope to see your names back on screen soon! ❞

With Peace responding:

❝ I completely understand all that you’ve expressed (and again, thank you for doing so constructively and respectfully).

I felt the racial implications were important to address as well; Charlotte and I collaborated on an episode where a conversation between Portia and Stella got a lot of attention (and a write-up in Soap Opera Digest) because they specifically spoke to the racial undertones/implications of Esme framing Trina. This perspective is absolutely important and necessary.

I think we can be responsible while also remembering this is a soap opera: Big baddies frequently escape justice (our hero is a mob boss, lol) or are redeemed.

Love the characters you listed and you name-checked one of my absolute favorites: CYRUS RENAULT (the brilliant Jeff Kober). I frequently write for him and it’s an absolute thrill.  ❞

She genuinely seems on the side of the fans, and I think that's why she has presented things in the way she did. She isn't working against the fans, and in speaking for her co-workers, it seems like they're in the same mindset. Yes, some don't pay attention to social media, but some do... and that's fine.

As for the quotes Peace chose, I think she chose some of the tamer-ones to not point out those extraordinarily nasty ones, because those don't deserve the immediate attention.

• Members

I respect your detailed response and I figured my take would not be popular.  I still think some of this is at least something you might anticipate dealing with as a soap opera writer or really any high profile writer.   I absolutely believe she has every right to defend herself against critics and she seems to be responding quite thoughtfully.  I also think this feeds the trolls no matter what.  She's spotlighting it's hurtful and hurtful to her co-workers.  That can be taken out of context to those people that their words are working and effective. 

Bottom line, if she feels better about saying this and defending herself, good for her.  If it is affecting her mental health, I would just stay off social media for awhile or even seek out certain boards that have more thoughtful insights.  A lot of us on here would be happy to give articulate feedback to her!

Unfortunately, I think we will all be waiting a long time......

• Members

There's a tweet over GH now using  "temporary writers" getting a lot of negative responses from various actors, pointing out that those writers are "scabs." I do wish more soap people were pointing out how difficult the situation is for soap writers and performers in a strike (the closest we got was Ron Carlivati's pity party).

• Members

The issue is that soaps are under the NetCode Contract. This Contract goes thru July of 2024. Daytime soaps are not struck work. So Fi-Core writers are not barred from writing for them

If Daytime soaps were part of the TV/Film/Streaming Contract which is currently struck then no writers even fi-core could write Daytime Dramas

• Members

Netcode is *not* about writers. 
Soaps are under netcode for *actors*.  Soaps are "not-struck" projects for *actors*.
Soaps are non-strike for SAG-AFTRA.
Recurring actors can work for nonstruck projects such as soaps. And contract soap actors must work.

Soaps are being struck by WGA.
Soaps *are* struck work for *writers*.

To sum up:
soaps are nonstruck for actors.
soaps are struck for writers.

Edited by janea4old