YR: 50TH Anniversary Special on "Entertainment Tonight"

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Alice’s abortion was not legal, while the first, the first legal abortion was Erica in AMC until the insane rewrite, once that happened I don’t know if Ashley became the first legal one after that happened. I think the special felt like they were doing Entertainment Tonight in an hour long format, but all the segments were done in the style of their short segments, which made it feel disjointed. ET has done some focus episodes on weekends years ago and they felt more cohesive than this, but since I haven’t watched that show in decades I don’t know what it is like now.

• Members

Alice???   

Marianne Randolph on Another World had a legal abortion in 1975.  A few years after Erica.  Years before Ashley even appeared on Y&R.

And besides, Eileen didn't use the term "legal".  She said, "I believe Ashley had the first abortion on daytime."  So "legal" does not come into play.   Eileen said something completely untrue, and the producers of the special did not edit it out.   No excuse for that.   Entertainment journalists are journalists.  At least they used to be.  

Edited by Neil Johnson

• Members

I thought it was a fun little special going into it with little expectation, the classic rarely seen clips and classic behind the scenes clips and pictures (the 1995 Jill and Katherine courthouse fight!!) were definitely a treat. The Thudley and Lauralee scenes were surprisingly poignant as was EB’s thank you at the end. 

I definitely agree it definitely felt rushed and fast paced, I wish it had been a two hour special done something more in the vain of CBS Sunday Morning or something. 

BTW what has happened to Penn Badgley?!

• Members

I knew Eileen's abortion comments and Peter's Emmy comments were gonna cause some traction. I missed the last 25 minutes so hopefully the episode turns up online. 

As soap buffs we will never be fully satisfied by mainstream specials or documentaries because they often miss the mark and focus on overly sensational moments, or scenes replayed at nauseum. Such specials are typically aimed at layman audiences, more recent viewers, or surface level knowledge soap watchers. Again, an old school 60 Minutes level of pacing and explanation would work well for a soap special which has to tackle long and complex history. One section about memorable  storylines, another about show logistics, another about the actos, maybe even break the discussion up into decades to keep the narrative linear. 

Edited by ironlion

• Members

Re the actors claims that they were only going to be short term.

I think this may be because they were not given a contract as Bill Bell liked to see them on air and write the story based on what he saw. Also. if he wasn't feeling it, they might be replaced eg David Kimball, Sharon, April,John Abbott etc

In the case of Kimberlin, Scott etc he liked their delivery, decided to go with it and expand their story-thus they were  handed a contract.

• Members

How could she have meant the first abortion on Y&R, when she clearly said -- "I believe Ashley had the first abortion on daytime"???  

There is no reason to make excuses for her, Eileen said something completely incorrect.  And that statement should not have been included in the special.