YR: 50TH Anniversary Special on "Entertainment Tonight"

• Members

It's not a regular episode of Entertainment Tonight.
It's a separate special on CBS in the primetime lineup.

It is hosted by the host of Entertainment Tonight, but this is its own thing -- an "Entertainment Tonight Special"

(That was clear in the announcement  -- but somehow I had missed that, LOL).

If we set DVR/Tivo for Entertainment Tonight, we *might* miss it.

I guess set up to record the full name as listed in the start of this thread:
"The Young and the Restless 50th Anniversary Celebration, An Entertainment Tonight Special"

For example, my TV listings don't even have ET mentioned for this.
It shows only this:
"The Young and the Restless 50th Anniversary Celebration"

Also note -this special is one hour.

The regular ET is a half-hour and airs separately.

Where I live, the regular daily episode of ET airs for a half-hour. 
Followed by the one-hour special about Y&R.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

It’s hard to complain about a soap getting a Primetime special, but I wish it as an episode like they did for the 25th anniversary. I think I’ve seen all of their Primetime episodes and thought they were strong. I’d love a well written Primetime episode that was treated like a sweeps event in terms of content and gave us something major like a Dru return. 

• Members

I just tuned in...I like the rare glimpses of behind the scenes stuff they are showing. Gotta watch more to fully make up my mind on it. 

That's a shame  I mean they showed her during the Covid repeats, so she shouldn't be excluded. 

• Members

Yep... Brenda Dickson... AND Deborah Adair! It was Deborah's Jill who had the initial romance and marriage with John Abbott. Deborah's Jill was there when Madame Mergeron revealed herself as Dina, and when Jack was shot.  Very foundational stuff for the character of Jill. 

EileenD mis-speaks when she says Ashley had the first abortion on daytime TV... Erica Kane had the first, in the 70s

• Members

Yeah, I had to think about that, but it definitely was Susan Lucci/Erica Kane. Haha the Y&R actors definitely like to take credit for having the "first" something. First Janice L.  with saying Brad and Leslie were the "first ever Super Couple" on a soap, and now Eileen saying Ashley had the "First" abortion

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Every "new" Character that Bill Bell brought on, always seems to say the same thing, they weren't suppose to be on that long. KSJ was suppose to be only a few days, Kimberlin B. Said, Sheila was originally only suppose to be around for a month, and Scott Reeves revealed recently, Ryan was only suppose to be on for 3 Days...

• Members

The Special 

Pros: the clips are in good quality unlike that Story of Soaps special on ABC. They have interview clips from across the decades. We got a Terry Lester mention.

CONS: It needed to slow down. They switch between segments and topics within segments too rapidly to where it feels unfocused. We need a 60 Minutes paced special. Its okay to play scenes for more than a soundbyte. 

• Members

Wrong.  Another World's Pat Matthews had the first abortion on daytime (and possibly the first on TV) in 1964.   I can't believe the editors let Eileen's comment get on the special.  Something tells me they knew better, but let it go anyway -- especially since Eileen said "'I believe' Ashley had the first abortion on daytime."  So that makes it Eileen's "opinion", even if it is incorrect. Sorta sad the producers of the special care more about Y&R than they do portraying an accurate history of the genre.   

Edited by Neil Johnson